Old School Cars Discussion

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
Jun 13, 2012
Ipoh
quite sure adelah. i mean look at us.... we tadak study ape:laugh: can still to a certain extent troubleshoot with the help of others....

now my front sway bar bushings kaput.. car was making ill noises so jacked it up, reached up, bushing perished in my hands.... :rolleyes:gona be so noisy this week..... looking for pu bushings, nobody seems to want to get back to me...
Because we have a lot of interest and passion in these things. I have a friend who studied automotive engineering at polytechnique school. When I met him, I ask him a few things about cars and showed him a picture of my 4G15. He told me he can't point out where the parts are because he only studied using diagrams and when it comes to the real thing, he can't identify.

Can find replacement bushing or not?

But sometimes not all problem can check from the diagnostics. Loose wire instead of the unit have problem. Sometimes got problem no CEL, sometimes got CEL, but diagnostics say no problem......lol
That is why really need to know the parts and examine them yourself instead of checking the computer.

same story here, my bawah pokok pomen son work with bmw SC penang.
But i never see his son give hand when father work with old car. :mad:
Sometimes have to hands ON, not not hands ON scantool. lol...
That why i always tell new factory intake, learn to run machine in manual mode. So can troubleshoot faster.
Auto mati, is mati sure cannot learn. :sleep:
Hands on skill is still the best way to learn mechanical stuff. :biggrin:

vr2turbo

((( God Level 30,000 RPM )))
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
same story here, my bawah pokok pomen son work with bmw SC penang.
But i never see his son give hand when father work with old car. :mad:
Sometimes have to hands ON, not not hands ON scantool. lol...
That why i always tell new factory intake, learn to run machine in manual mode. So can troubleshoot faster.
Auto mati, is mati sure cannot learn. :sleep:
I was at my friend's warehouse sale, then power kaput, computers down, the staffs all like shock, don't know what to do, all system down, then some senior staffs bring out cash register.......hahhahhaha:rofl:

sweelt

2,000 RPM
Nov 6, 2016
Penang
I was at my friend's warehouse sale, then power kaput, computers down, the staffs all like shock, don't know what to do, all system down, then some senior staffs bring out cash register.......hahhahhaha:rofl:
Isolate those "shorts" circuit breaker at DB box. Can ON back power. Alamak....
I learn a lot in factory, which useful in home.
Even some diy, i utilise factory engineering department tools. :biggrin:

lsm1991

1,000 RPM
Sep 30, 2011
PJ
But sometimes not all problem can check from the diagnostics. Loose wire instead of the unit have problem. Sometimes got problem no CEL, sometimes got CEL, but diagnostics say no problem......lol
ehh be careful.... some of these fellas... are really reliant on their newfangled diagnostic tools....

have a friend who has some issues with his car, cel keeps comming up randomly then when masuk sc, low and behold the obd port no signal... all they could do is reset the ecu, hope the cel doesnt pop up again and now they are trying to figure out why the port has no power going through it....

so far they suspect its just the port itself so waiting for parts to come... im eagerly waiting for them to replace that then tell him 'hmm still no power, lets change wiring harness' :biggrin:

vr2turbo

Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
ehh be careful.... some of these fellas... are really reliant on their newfangled diagnostic tools....

have a friend who has some issues with his car, cel keeps comming up randomly then when masuk sc, low and behold the obd port no signal... all they could do is reset the ecu, hope the cel doesnt pop up again and now they are trying to figure out why the port has no power going through it....

so far they suspect its just the port itself so waiting for parts to come... im eagerly waiting for them to replace that then tell him 'hmm still no power, lets change wiring harness' :biggrin:
That is why nowadays no diagnostics they are lost.....:rofl:

And also those days, many things can repair or partly replace, nowadays whole board, whole assembly, whole unit change......lol

lsm1991

1,000 RPM
Sep 30, 2011
PJ
Because we have a lot of interest and passion in these things. I have a friend who studied automotive engineering at polytechnique school. When I met him, I ask him a few things about cars and showed him a picture of my 4G15. He told me he can't point out where the parts are because he only studied using diagrams and when it comes to the real thing, he can't identify.

Can find replacement bushing or not?

That is why really need to know the parts and examine them yourself instead of checking the computer.

Hands on skill is still the best way to learn mechanical stuff. :biggrin:
can cari normal rubber bushing... but been poking around for pu ones

lsm1991

1,000 RPM
Sep 30, 2011
PJ
For temporary solution, get the rubber ones first if they are cheap? If you go around like this, will it damage something?
kling klong kling klong over bumps haha, shouldnt be any permanant damage, maybe some scratches

vr2turbo

Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
For temporary solution, get the rubber ones first if they are cheap? If you go around like this, will it damage something?
Rubber ones also ok, PU ones better get good ones. Bro. SC last time fitted ARB link from rubber to some hard PU looking ones, it crack and broke. Rubber ones after long time use only gets compressed......lol:rofl:

lsm1991

1,000 RPM
Sep 30, 2011
PJ
Rubber ones also ok, PU ones better get good ones. Bro. SC last time fitted ARB link from rubber to some hard PU looking ones, it crack and broke. Rubber ones after long time use only gets compressed......lol:rofl:
mine disintegrated!! one day i realized when you suddenly swing the steeering violently, ade kruk kruk sound, 2 days later over bumps ade sound, so jacked it up and wow.... all so crumbly....

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
Jun 13, 2012
Ipoh
kling klong kling klong over bumps haha, shouldnt be any permanant damage, maybe some scratches
As long as it doesn't damage or bend your bar, then should be okay...

Speaking about bushing, I think I need to replace some of the rear suspension arms. Got squeaking sound for very long time. Mechanic said is because of the bushing. I don't know which arm but if I am replacing them, should I get back stock ones or any good aftermarket recommendations?

lsm1991

1,000 RPM
Sep 30, 2011
PJ
As long as it doesn't damage or bend your bar, then should be okay...

Speaking about bushing, I think I need to replace some of the rear suspension arms. Got squeaking sound for very long time. Mechanic said is because of the bushing. I don't know which arm but if I am replacing them, should I get back stock ones or any good aftermarket recommendations?
control arms ahh? just tukar normal rubber ones pun bolehlah.... as far as i know, theres only 2 types of bushings, pu and rubber. i think those bushings cost more? am not sure...
pu
-lasts longer
-harsher, all the damned vibrations get transmitted through, sometimes squeeky, cost alot more

rubber
-macam stock, no issues, just a wear and tear item that needs to be replaced
**there are supposed to be china/or some duno ape cheapo bushings, duno if those last as long as the 'original' ones (heck i dont even know where the original ones come frm)

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
Jun 13, 2012
Ipoh
control arms ahh? just tukar normal rubber ones pun bolehlah.... as far as i know, theres only 2 types of bushings, pu and rubber. i think those bushings cost more? am not sure...
pu
-lasts longer
-harsher, all the damned vibrations get transmitted through, sometimes squeeky, cost alot more

rubber
-macam stock, no issues, just a wear and tear item that needs to be replaced
**there are supposed to be china/or some duno ape cheapo bushings, duno if those last as long as the 'original' ones (heck i dont even know where the original ones come frm)
Yeah, control arm. The two arms, one long and one short at each side. So, I guess stock replacement will do. I was actually wondering those advertised performance control arm like those known as Hardrace makes any difference or not.

From your description, I think stock rubber bushing will do for the control arms as my car is not a track car or even modded. :biggrin:

lsm1991

1,000 RPM
Sep 30, 2011
PJ
Yeah, control arm. The two arms, one long and one short at each side. So, I guess stock replacement will do. I was actually wondering those advertised performance control arm like those known as Hardrace makes any difference or not.

From your description, I think stock rubber bushing will do for the control arms as my car is not a track car or even modded. :biggrin:
hmm about these bling lower arms and subframe brace, also thought about them..... dont know if they are actually functional (assuming the specs are the same)
maybe just lighter?
also im abit wary of fake pieces... hardrace should be ok i guess, havent heard of fakes
:confused: i am a sucker for chrome bling bling

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
Jun 13, 2012
Ipoh
hmm about these bling lower arms and subframe brace, also thought about them..... dont know if they are actually functional (assuming the specs are the same)
maybe just lighter?
also im abit wary of fake pieces... hardrace should be ok i guess, havent heard of fakes
:confused: i am a sucker for chrome bling bling
Just lighter that's all? I actually thought they offer some benefits like stronger rigidity or something like that. If they just lighter with PU bushing, then perhaps getting OEM parts is enough. One thing is for sure, I'm not trusting those fake ASR, Beaks aluminum bar being sold out there. Most of them are fake and the original manufacturers only make parts for Honda cars. Imagine the horror when your lower arm breaks or cracks halfway while driving. I've seen pictures of that happening before.

Chrome bling on parts? I sort of like them too but it depends on what parts. Chrome intake manifold seems nice. Or chrome velocity stack for itb or those weber carb. :biggrin:

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Chengdu (China), 16 September 2007 – The PETRONAS Syntium Team’s charge in the 2007 Asian Touring Car Series continued this weekend at the brand new Chengdu International Circuit in China. The round proved to be a triumphant one with Fariqe Hairuman dominating the proceedings at the recently completed circuit in China with wins in both races.

Having recovered from the mechanical issues...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience