Miata MX5 killer

koolspyda

2,000 RPM
if there is such a thing (at least in US). its a GM BTW

Solstice Weekend Club Racer.....................comes with a detachable hardtop, 325 horsepower, turbocharged 2.0-liter four-cylinder, T-2 race suspension package, larger diameter disc brakes, and Cat-back performance exhaust system for a heavenly exhaust tone.

2DACD459999E4C60B94259ECE4396F72.jpg

http://www.chicagoautoshow.com/vehicles/detail.asp?type_id=&make_id=43&vehicle_id=250

does gives it a mini viper look.

elise, MG, MR-S, Fiat Barchetta >insert all italian sports cars :wink:< couldnt do what is described as "miata~world's Best selling sport car" :vollkommenauf: :thefinger:

Dude, if power is all you want, you're missing the point of the MX-5.

Anyway there are plenty of convertibles that are better than that piece of American junk. TVRs, SLK 55, BMW Z4 (soon to come M version), Boxster S, S2000, 350Z convertible...and so on. Most of these would probably be better to drive and faster round a track compared to the Solstice.

American junk? i would love to hear your arguments on that statement

Mainly my personal biased views. American cars in general aren't very good. American made sports cars, are even worse. They should stick with what they are good at, V8 muscle cars that go fast in a straight line. Of course they are getting their act together these days with the Ford GT being a shining example.

But, I'm happy to admit I was wrong about the Solstice. Apparently, it is a great little sports car.

Last edited:
fornt.jpg

side.jpg

rear.jpg

How about this?
This car with few option on engine power 160bhp , 220bhp , 300bhp.
I love this car very much , but it is without the roof....... drive this car must bring along with raincoat...... :regular_smile:
Even in 160bhp form the Atom's power to weight ratio exceeds that of a 911 Porsche http://www.arielmotor.co.uk/04/frames.htm

Anyway, since we are on the topic of the MX5...what do you guys think of the new one? What I've gathered from the reports so far is that it is at least as good as the old one with more equipment thrown in. But then yesterday, I read Evo and they say it wasn't very good. What's going on? Is it good or isn't it?

it got too heavy. I agree on si|verfish accessment on american cars. (even american driver enthusiast too from the forums i hang out).

the new GM Solstice has the looks & the new concept Nissan "Urge" has good feedback (still concept however).

Nissan UrGe
nissan_urge_manu_06_06.jpg

nissan_urge_manu_06_05.jpg

nissan_urge_manu_06_04.jpg

nissan_urge_manu_06_03.jpg

nissan_urge_manu_06_02.jpg

nissan_urge_manu_06_01.jpg

Let me quote some of the US roadster enthusiast comments;
The older miatas have better suspension. Mazda did not do a good job with the new miata suspension. Many autoX guys have already dumped them.
99.99% of the Mazda market don't care about track performance. Take a look at the car based on the average than make a judgment.
There is a reason it is the best selling car in history. And although MX5 is an outstanding Autocross platform, it's not the reason for its popularity. A fun to drive inexpensive, practical, good looking, and reliable convertible is more desirable than track numbers.
Well I had the sad fortune to be able to test drive one at the Mazda Rev it up event and I must say they don't handle as well as i would expect IMHO. I never really did like the new miata since i first saw it and driving it just makes it worse... Older Miata or our spyder have much better feel than these poor Ford ( ) Miatas

we knew the reasons why the miata became the "best selling roadster" & high majority of them are just looking for fun to drive (not autoX), inexpensive, practical, good looking, and reliable convertible as a more desirable roadsters.

MX-5 (2006)
0-60: 7.0
1/4 mile: 15.4
Top Speed: est 130mph
Skidpad: 0.86g
Slalom: 67.7mph
60-0: 112 ft.
80-0: 200 ft.

Solstice (stock): R&T and MT
0-60: 7.4 & 7.0
1/4 mile: 15.8 & 15.6
Top Speed: est 120mph
Skidpad: 0.88g & 0.90g
Slalom: 67.0mph
60-0: 114 ft. & 113 ft.
80-0 206 ft.

the EVO (UK) magazine is more of a driver enthusiast magazine. so it was no surprice for us to see the comments. Autocar, What car & probably Top Gear may have a more favourable comments it.(2006 MX5)

the new Solstice is going for that exact reason that made miata best selling.

(sidenote: you can read the depressing report in Solstice by EVO writers (in the latest mag with Bugatti Veyron cover)

Last edited:
Yeah, the MX-5 (old one, at least) has always stuck true to the original spirit of British sports cars. Light, nimble, uncomplicated, not too powerful and fun at any speed. I think the Evo blokes like the old one but not the new one. Top Gear liked it, can't remember what Autocar said. Fifth Gear also liked it (and they are mostly racing drivers). What gives?

I've got the Evo Veyron issue. I don't remember reading about the Solstice though. Is yours the UK edition?

si|verfish said:
I've got the Evo Veyron issue. I don't remember reading about the Solstice though. Is yours the UK edition?

should be. I only know of the local malaysian edition EVO (douglas;editor) & the UK EVO. (no, not the local rip off majalah "Evo". )

the Solstice was in one of the test drive or something (need to retrive mag from my throne :wink: )

Sidestep a bit.

Speaking of American cars, they're now all digging their history books to find inspiration. Especially after the success of the Ford GT and the new Mustang, cars that ape the looks of their more illustrious predecessors.

Chrysler (through Dodge) and GM (through Chevrolet).

Look out for these remakes of old classic muscle cars.

Chevrolet Camaro
camaro017qg.jpg

Dodge Challenger
challenger06012nj.jpg

Shelby GT500 Mustang
shelbygt50007060ee.jpg

Even the Italians are getting on the act with this...
miura06040sx.jpg

Lamborghini Miura

Last edited:
american car manufacturers had a sudden lapse of concentration (on their homeground) when their emphasise on SUV a couple of years back. there were no "show" car for them. (not involve in major motor sports) . even their Carts series were dominated by Honda & Yota.

pimpin323 said:
uh uh looking fer a killer mx5 or miata. any fer sale?
my 1.6 turbocharged mx5 for sale..
can play with a few cars.. but not MK84's V8 in a mx5 lar.. hehehe
PM me if u interested..

for those who havent gotta the EVO (UK)

Brief mentions in EVO against the new 2006 MX-5
"The last MX-5 was a closer rival for the brilliant MR2 (roadster); without these changes the new one would struggle to match an MGF."

"You'd have more fun in one drive in an MR2 than you would in a year with this [referencing to the latest MX-5]."

this is where the Solstice was primed as what the thread title says.
(of course it would take a couple of years to see if it does happens)

Unfortunately car companies like Mazda are not run by enthusiasts or even by engineers. They are run by marketers and number crunchers who are more worried about the bottom line than creating a "fun" car. they have lost some touch with what the original intent of the car was.

**the MR-S is badged as MR2 roadster in UK & europe.

Last edited:
Top Bottom