manually using the auto gear

Dear Twistedichc,

If you love that girl so much, instead of seeing her everyday, why dont you marry her instead?

Same goes if you love manual gears so much, why dont you ploink one manual gearbox instead?:biggrin:

hello, i have a question about auto gearbox, is that any negative impact if i always turn off my Over Drive?
mostly i'm always driving around city only, because of traffic i found that i don't need 4th gear when driving around city, so i always turn off my OD to get better pick up in stop and go condition, then when i drive on highway i will turn on my OD, but i will wait until my RPM reach 2800 on 3rd gear then i turn on my OD, then the gear immediately change to 4th. is there any negative impact from that?
Thank you

hello, i have a question about auto gearbox, is that any negative impact if i always turn off my Over Drive?
mostly i'm always driving around city only, because of traffic i found that i don't need 4th gear when driving around city, so i always turn off my OD to get better pick up in stop and go condition, then when i drive on highway i will turn on my OD, but i will wait until my RPM reach 2800 on 3rd gear then i turn on my OD, then the gear immediately change to 4th. is there any negative impact from that?
Thank you

Overdrive = your final gear. If you turn it off you will never utilize the final gear otherwise known as the overdrive gear. Meaning your fuel consumption isn't be great when you're cruising.

Otherwise there's no real problem. I know a Myvi driver who didn't know what the OD was for and left it off and kept on complaining that he wasn't able to go faster than 120km/h. Later it was discovered he had OD off so when it was on, then his top speed increased significantly too.

VR2Tebo : Yeah man. Cooked brakes no fun. In fact just plain scary!

Twistedichc : Carbie cars have no rev limiters so be very careful when whacking the gearbox like that in a carbie car. Your 660cc is a carbie or fuel injection car? If FI then don't worry la. I took my 3-speed car to the track and drove only with "1" and "2" for about 5 laps and hit the rev limiter so many times. Rev limiter sound "prangprangprangprang" very shiok :biggrin:

Thank you

If you drive sedately and no excessive engine stress, should be okay but from my experience, switching on / off the OD does not make any different in city drive. Before you reach 4th gear, most probably, there is a traffic light ahead already. Better pick up is maybe placebo affect(that's it for me) as I did not find any different driving on either on / off OD during acceleration.
What you're doing is akin to shifting to higher gear in manual which is okay but better practice should be turning on the OD in lower speed or as soon as we reach the open road as most car's ECU adapt to our driving style. Correct me if I am wrong.

Twistedichc : Carbie cars have no rev limiters so be very careful when whacking the gearbox like that in a carbie car. Your 660cc is a carbie or fuel injection car? If FI then don't worry la. I took my 3-speed car to the track and drove only with "1" and "2" for about 5 laps and hit the rev limiter so many times. Rev limiter sound "prangprangprangprang" very shiok :biggrin:

With my VR, brakes for me is very important.....:driver:

Wah! hit rev limiter! Never tried in my VR before maybe too much power at high end, but hit speed cut before and it actually cuts the engine.....no more sound....ha! ha!:rofl:

---------- Post added at 08:22 AM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 08:21 AM ----------

Thank you

To me, I will drive the same way. When I had auto last time, in town always sports mode, only highway change to normal mode....:driver:

OD Myvi got? I don't see any button for it. Old or new model?

Ya, 1st gear cannot drop any further la :rofl:

Seldom drop to 1st or 2nd gear...only 3rd most of the time. But not sure because I always drive like that, my car 44K mileage adi
got tappet sound :rofl:

Dear Twistedichc,

If you love that girl so much, instead of seeing her everyday, why dont you marry her instead?

Same goes if you love manual gears so much, why dont you ploink one manual gearbox instead?:biggrin:

sometimes we couldn't get the girl we love...and have to settle with other girl that not really we love but still we can live with it and get the most out of it....

but me i got both manual and auto identical car....same engine...same chasis model....only different in gearbox manual/auto and stock daily/stock rally :driver:

p/s:actually planning to get manual car at the time when buying the daily car...during surveying got plenty of cars that looks promising...but when i bring the money, then some of the car sold...some was not in good condition not up to specification.....so settled with auto car that was during the moment is pretty decent..... :smokin:

---------- Post added at 01:03 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 12:56 PM ----------

With my VR, brakes for me is very important.....:driver:

Wah! hit rev limiter! Never tried in my VR before maybe too much power at high end, but hit speed cut before and it actually cuts the engine.....no more sound....ha! ha!:rofl:

---------- Post added at 08:22 AM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 08:21 AM ----------

To me, I will drive the same way. When I had auto last time, in town always sports mode, only highway change to normal mode....:driver:

turbo car playing with revcut dangerous worrrr...later boost spike and kabom conrod failure.... :biggrin:

my auto car also i play2 with o/d button eco/power mode.......because aircond compressor kick-in quite heavy especially when climbing steep road or highways......

when got naughty mood can drag using L>2>D with o/d off.....160++ not yet redline but close.... :listen:

when o/d on very hard to do topspeed.....but love it when cruising 90-110 at left lane on long journey... :driver: currently the rpm/speed is 3000rpm@125kmh (double checked with gps)

Dear Twistedichc,

actually i would be a dream a come true but :banghead: to much cashflow can't afford one, not into proton either so i'm sticking to perodua:biggrin: next target AUDI R8:smokin::rolleyes::banghead:

---------- Post added at 02:05 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 01:55 PM ----------

Overdrive = your final gear. If you turn it off you will never utilize the final gear otherwise known as the overdrive gear. Meaning your fuel consumption isn't be great when you're cruising.

Otherwise there's no real problem. I know a Myvi driver who didn't know what the OD was for and left it off and kept on complaining that he wasn't able to go faster than 120km/h. Later it was discovered he had OD off so when it was on, then his top speed increased significantly too.

mine carbie, at the moment i'm limiting my revving according to oto D4 gear using speedometer as a marker, my tachometer is not in yet, maybe later i'll revv up a bit higher for that lil extra pickup, my kelisa no prob for these 5 years:driver:

OD Myvi got? I don't see any button for it. Old or new model?

Ya, 1st gear cannot drop any further la :rofl:

Seldom drop to 1st or 2nd gear...only 3rd most of the time. But not sure because I always drive like that, my car 44K mileage adi
got tappet sound :rofl:

2004 Premium EZI.. the OD is on the gearknob itself.

VR4Turbo : Rev limiter less scary that speed limiter. Just today I almost rear ended some dumbass who emergency braked. I was going slow and luckily had new tyres but the tyres locked up anyway. Anyway, red lining was also the way I ran in my rebuilt engine. People say go easy go easy.. I say give it the beans and let those piston rings fit nicely. I think I drove for about 500m keeping it on high revs (redline) on 1st gear. Really loud engine noise and going at a pathetic 60km/h. Then 2nd gear redline for about 500m, then drive all the way back and drain. Damn a lot of metal shavings. :biggrin:

Dunno if Kelisa have :rofl: I think don't have. Each car their OD is at different place?

viva also dun haf OD.
and i am confuse...viva, kelisa autobox is it 3 gear or 4 gear?
on my viva's manual said 4 gear auto...but no OD...doesnt it makes it 3 gears only?

A friend of mine tried Kelisa 155km/h but he say dare not try 160km/h :rofl:

I was like extra 5 more km/h only ma haha!

viva also dun haf OD.
and i am confuse...viva, kelisa autobox is it 3 gear or 4 gear?
on my viva's manual said 4 gear auto...but no OD...doesnt it makes it 3 gears only?

it's like this,D2 is ur 1st & 2nd, 3 is 3, 4 is OD cos it's made u cannot choose:driver:

---------- Post added at 04:00 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 03:57 PM ----------

A friend of mine tried Kelisa 155km/h but he say dare not try 160km/h :rofl:

I was like extra 5 more km/h only ma haha!

i tried 160km/h downhill 2 putrajaya bout 3 min shaking woo:banghead:

it's like this,D2 is ur 1st & 2nd, 3 is 3, 4 is OD cos it's made u cannot choose:driver:

---------- Post added at 04:00 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 03:57 PM ----------

i tried 160km/h downhill 2 putrajaya bout 3 min shaking woo:banghead:

i see...i have seen my frens doin to ther gearbox from lower gear after certain rpm shift to D to make a wheelspin...if my eyes are not wrong.is it a good technic.

Newer AT box have fail safe system. Like the invecs II with triptronic function. It will start off from 1st gear from stop and if you hit the redline on the 1st gear it will automatically change to 2nd and if the car is moving in 2nd gear at speeds of about 30km/h it will have a beep sound if you try to put into 1st gear and won't allow you to do that....

I have to agree with Izso's comment about overheating the gearbox on AT.