Lowering leads to faster wear and tear ..

RPM_freak

Known Member
Sep 13, 2005
kLANG
So i was talking to this friend of mine .. and he mentiond some things that got me wondering ..

a) Lowering the car means more downforce .. this means the car is being pressed harder on the road .. and will lead to more wear on the tyres ?

b) By lowering your car, the chasis is more prone to feeling the impat of every nook and cranny on the road .. reducing its stiffness ..

so .. since iam considering lowering ma ride .. Wira SE .. whoese suspension has to be said is one of the worse .. did they make the car to be a passenger car or a sports car ?? .. u cant fit more then 3 people with out the car scarping any humps .. and it aint lowered enough to be considered a sports car .. Hmmm :cyclops:

care for some comments >><< ? ? ?

risyia

Known Member
Feb 16, 2005
Pandan Indah
With lowered spring, not only will there be more wear & tear for the suspension component, your car chassis will also get 'physical' with every 'bump' in your housing estate.

I had the problem when I installed Eibach spring on my ride. Recently, to cure the problem I had an adjustable absorber installed at the rear to raise the height of the rear chassis.

gavan

1,000 RPM
Apr 14, 2004
Shah Alam
Visit site
so erm, let ssay i would to raise the height of my car using the adjustable coilovers, would that reduce the wear??

Dino@Casper

May 13, 2005
P.J
erm lowering ur springs will increase down force??? hmmh... thats new.. i thought it lowers your center of gravity which makes your car more stable.. as the downforce of the car is create by the air flow above ur car, i don't see how the air flow will change with the slight decrease... where else the uplift on ur car would be less for sure.. as less air is flowing beneath ur car..

Fluffy

3,000 RPM
May 1, 2005
>>klang<<
okay...lowering the car will not make ur car heavier or give u "down force"

basically...the pros of getting ur car lowered is better stability.and better handling.

the cons are that u might hit a speed bump coz the car is low.but this all depends on HOW LOW u lower ur car..

SkYwAlKeR

Over 10,000 RPM!
Mar 12, 2005
ePoh ~ malacca
Visit site
haha... lowering the car only gives u better stability, nothing to do with downforce....

if u are worried being lowered ur car too low, try get hi/lo adjustable coilovers... can adjust ur car height according to ur preference... no need waste money do trial n error on different types of lowered springs...

mengz

500 RPM
Jan 15, 2005
no such thing as lowering ur car u get more downforce. ur car's aerodynamics is the one tat determines ur downforce.

most important thing in lowering ur car is to match ur coils and shocks properly. therefore ur shocks won't bottoms out, which leads to pre-mature wear and tear. most ppl use lowered coils but stock shocks, and the shocks usually kong out very fast.

BLaCkHoWLiNG

'(^^)|Most Awesome Member
Nov 14, 2003
PJ
www.autojunctions.com
Lowering of yer car will only impose unnecessary wear and tear if it's not setup properly.

- Wear and tear to the tyres bcoz:
1. Alignment was not done after the lowering process- which is a process that needs to be done after lowering.
2. After lowering, the owner feels and thinks he's schumacher, thus, lapping every corner as an imaginative schumacher.
3. Before lowering, he never bothered to check d status of his tyre threads, only after to do so after lowering.

- Lowering ...prone to chassis shock.. bla bla.. etc etc
1. this will be so, IF, the springs and the absorbers do not match. i.e. u chopped the springs, or u 'tie the springs' together via clips, or it's heat treated to be shortened .. thus, the spring rate has weakened and the 'force' is only relying on the absorbers.. so, over humps or irregularities on the road @ high speeds will end up having the shockers to 'bottoms up', emitting HARD PRESSURE onto the chassis..
2. Shumacher syndrom - fly over bumps... "i'm superman"

as for drive shafts - alignment? or also schumacher syndrom - every corner oso wack... emitting more stress to the drive shaft than previous mild driving...

SkYwAlKeR

Over 10,000 RPM!
Mar 12, 2005
ePoh ~ malacca
Visit site
wahahaha... agree with blackhowling.... humans memang got many syndrom...
the most important, get a good setup.... do allignment after installing lowered springs and most important, dont whack ur car like no tomolo...
by jz changing lowered springs doesnt mean ur car has different suspension setup.... our cars is no where michael schumacher's formula 1 car.....

goldwave84

Known Member
Oct 1, 2005
I plan to lower my car too...

Its a proton saga 91' model. How much would it cost to install hi/lo adjustable coilovers? I want to get this lowering process right the first time around.

Ashley

Fluffy

3,000 RPM
May 1, 2005
>>klang<<
erm...it all depends on ur budget.then u scout fr the brands u can afford.

hotbits is around 1.5k with springs.

better if u just mention ur budget.

goldwave84

Known Member
Oct 1, 2005
Abt RM500? I am already spending close to RM7K on the whole car. I am not a racing kaki, so its not going to be a specific racer car. More of a customed car, with interior, and bodykit. What do you think?

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

hi all,
was kinda interested in the sheepdog bov. where can i get it? i mean as in brand new? and how much would it cost??

cheers
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience