ICE setup for Kancil

• See what others are reading now! Try Forums > Current Activity
  • Search function more powerful with google results! Try Search

Phoenixwunin

Hi... newbie here... so please bear with any noobnees I might cause:regular_smile:

I am interested to put in a new player in my Perodua Kancil. So I go to Brothers yesterday to survey the price and the player. I'm surprised to see that entertainment in the car is not only limited to the player but it is more than that... well I've seen a lot of that boom-boom thing in a few car in my neighborhood... but I never had any interest in it at all.

But now... I think I want to put one system like that inside my car...:regular_smile:

The thing is... I don't really know much about these... have been reading a lot of info from many threads here... so I figure I might as well open a thread and ask about it here.

Well... as far as I'm concern... aside from the player... I will need speakers, amplifier and woofer.

If want to setup ICE in my car... roughly how much would I need?? For the whole set... is RM1000 enough?? Because the player it self is already priced at around RM300 to RM500.

And I stumbled with some topics about sound proof. Mind telling what is this?? Is this suppose to reduce the sound outside the car?? And tweeters... what is that and what is the use of it??

Oh forgot to mention... I'm more into bass... so please recommend me a good system which can produce a good bass...

Thanks in advance... and very sorry if I open this topic in a wrong place... need some kind of guidance here:embaressed_smile:

Last edited:
For Rm1k is not enough..Since u like the boom-boom why not save more money then only install...

wow... not enough wor?? :sad_smile:

If I insist on putting the budget on the limit at RM1000 (just want to know).. what sort of setup can I get?? Taking into consideration.. the Head Unit, tweeters, woofer and speakers...

After all it is only for Kancil...

like this only HU & mid component(included tweeter).Woofer plus box cost about rm500, some more amp, wiring,rca cable & maybe get a preamp....
Most probably u need about Rm2k.Cause u need pay workmanship for the acc shop...So Rm1k is too tight..

Last edited:
~sigh... really need to up the cash... OK...

I can up the budget... how about the recommendation of setup... for a decent yet budget setup... ranging around RM1000 to RM1999... any recommendation?? Don't really know about this... even when I go to the shop I didn't know what I should ask...

Can't really recommend u cause dunno what type of HU u looking for,some like display some on sound quality on the HU...As for mid component have lots of brand & u shud try hear the sound for urself....

The usual stuff we need in ICE... what are those??

I'm more into Sound Quality than SPL... and some people say that Pioneer is a good bassy player I can get... while SONY is good for sound quality but not in the durability and quality. Don't know about Kenwood though... I'm putting around RM300 to RM 700 for a player... don't want display screen though... the one with the HU is enough...

Well... I think I'm going to Brothers again and try to hear the sound my self.

Thanks for the feedback :)

Basic SQ setup should consists of

1 HU
1 4 chn amp or 2 2 chn amp (also possible for 1 2 chn given the front component powered by HU and the sub powered by amp but result won't be as good as both powered by amp)
1 pair of component set
1 sub (for kancil I believe 8" would suffice considering small boot and small space)

For HU most of the time I'll suggest for pioneer considering the tuning capability it gives. Look for models that can support adjustable parametric eq, build in e-cross (FIE also acceptable)

Try some second hand stuffs in the buy sell section and you may find some worth buying considering your limited budget.

By the way, some just add an active subwoofer to their stock system and you will be surprise you get good results since you will get to hear things that you may have missed previously. Taking that the SW produce freqiencies from 20hz-100hz and your current system is producing somewhere between 80hz-5khz. Of course you will miss quite a lot of the high spectrums since you don't have a tweeter. So buying a separate tweeter(with crossover) that costs in the range of RM200 should suit your expectation. Say the active SW at RM800 and the tweeter at RM200 (new stuffs if that is what u are looking for) This is just a suggestion only.

Of course, when u have more "mullahs" then you can look into the possibility of component speakers, good HU, amplifiers and subwoofer which will cost you at least RM2'000 (new stuffs) and that also from cap ayam brands. You can do an estimation when you drop by at Brothers.

For kancil and considering you only want to listen in the car (not open boot to blast your neighbour), I think you still can get a decent spl around rm1500 or lesser maybe.

1. a HU and pre-amp
2. one component set and a 10" subwoofer(mono), powered by a 4ch amplifier.
3. rear speaker power by HU

May be you can set aside some money for soundproofing as kancil will get alot of noise for weatherstrip from door/windows as the car get older. also put some spund deathenng for door panels.

Phoenixwunin said:
The usual stuff we need in ICE... what are those??

I'm more into Sound Quality than SPL... and some people say that Pioneer is a good bassy player I can get... while SONY is good for sound quality but not in the durability and quality. Don't know about Kenwood though... I'm putting around RM300 to RM 700 for a player... don't want display screen though... the one with the HU is enough...

Well... I think I'm going to Brothers again and try to hear the sound my self.

Thanks for the feedback :)

If u more into SQ than SPL then i shud say rm2k not enough:Not_Impressed:

Thanks for the feedback guys...:_:

If I can't get a SQ setup for the budget I have right now... then SPL is also accepted... as long as it sound good I don't mind...

Maybe I should just put in a HU and speakers first and when I have more money... put in a woofer and amp. What do you guys think??

Actually I can put my budget limit higher... but the thing is... I wan't to change the seat for my Kancil... that will cost around RM400 to RM600 if I'm not mistaken... in this case what do you guys think?? Maybe I should skip my plan to change the seat and put all the money into ICE... or maybe upgrade one by one first...

And yes... this setup is just for my self-pleasure... to listen only in car... never intended to open the boot and blast it. In fact... I would prefer if the sound can be reduce to the outside yet I can hear it loud inside but people outside my car can't hear the music clearly (something to do with personal choices of music :lol: ... though I think that is not possible if I were to put this ICE setup in my car right?? Surely it will get loud... owh.. nevermind that...

And sorry for these question... so far I have manage to understand most of the ICE component and concept... but can anyone clarify these to me:

1. Pre-amp... I know the use of amplifier but what is pre-amp??

2. Soundproof. Quote from my question before:

And I stumbled with some topics about sound proof. Mind telling what is this?? Is this suppose to reduce the sound outside the car?? And tweeters... what is that and what is the use of it??

Can anyone explain about this??

Last edited:
If that's the case try find a good HU & mid component...Actually u shud buy 1 by 1 dont go 1 shot unless u hv extra cash.As for the seat is up to u but here normally they don't advise to change seat except ICE in ur car...

As for sound proof, there have lots of brand around...Some is cheap but some are very expensive..when u play SPL bass louder u will not get to hear the metal body sound of your car like a milo tin sound...

Last edited:
jchin2 said:
Preamp is something that u can control ur bass freq or gain & treeble from ur amp. Because when u fix amp everytime u change from chinese to english song u can't go to ur amp to adjust the gain or freq.Preamp install at below ur cd player where u can adjust the setting according to the song u play....So if u thinking of fixing preamp u need to have minimum 2 2channel amp..

Totally (100%) wrong & misleading

Anything that is placed before the amp is called the pre-amp. It can range from devices that control your gain from the amp, bass, treble, spectrum of freq, slopes, freq filters and etc. Most people who are really serious in SQ will invest in some very expensive active crossovers such as those from Audio Control, TRU etc. There are also those that alter the characteristics of the signal such as the one from Zelos that give you the sound character of a tube. However, if u already have those built in the HU (adequate to your expectation) than the devices known as the pre amp is not required. Nowadays, the DSP is getting more popular due to improvement in audio technology and potential future upgrades. But, if you are going into some simple set up that will give you clear musical results, I think a good pair of component speakers and reasonable 4-channel amplifier (not cap ayam) should satisfy you. With RM2'000 you can get a reasonable pair of comp speakers, amplifier, cablings and sound dampening materials. When budget permits, you can go for a SW so make sure you consider an amp that will support your future upgrades(if any)

Sound proofing basically divides into 2 i.e. sound dampening and sound proofing. Sound dampening materials will help to reduce vibartion from the door or other parts of the car due to reasonance as well as improve the bass quality. On the other hand, sound proofing generally means keeping unwanted noise(engine, tyre, wind etc) away from the passenger cabin which will discrupt the music you are enjoying. There are many types available in the market and choose them wisely according to your budget. Applying the correct type of materails in the correct places will ensure maximum effectiveness with minimum costs.

Happy ICEing!

Last edited:
theres a thread on sound proofing in DIY Session.. u may wanna take a look on that... and if im not mistaken ppl r sellin both sound proofing & dampening material in Markeplace.. u can DIY, so can allocated more budget on ur set-up :X-:

last but not least, go for a reputable/ experience ICE installer, the hands and ears for setting and setup really count. A 2k system can sound like a 4k system and a 5k can also sound like a 1k system.

Yes, I have to agree with oldskolboyz.
Your posting is wrong and misleading.
Just one question- do you have to adjust your preamp everytime you listen to a different tune??
If you think the answer is yes. then it's high time you should do more homework.

A thread every 60 seconds

Search

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience
Top Bottom