how to know its time to change timing belt

• See what others are reading now! Try Forums > Current Activity
  • Search function more powerful with google results! Try Search

skyline2m

Known Member
Jul 20, 2006
Kota Kinabalu
i just want to know when is the time to change timing belt
if possible just give me a picture so that i can compare with me and see wheter its time to change timing belt
i've tighten the timing belt of my car but the power steering of my car still hard to turn so when i ask the mechanic do my timing belt got problem and he said no problem
if i change the timing belt when it is still good in condition, it waste money

ashween

500 RPM
Nov 20, 2003
JB
Visit site
check and see if the 'gigi' under the timing belt is smooth....if it is...its time to change....

whenever u accelerate ur car....if u hear a screatching sound (not ur tyre)...its ur timing belt slipping coz no 'gigi'...

sifu'ssss....correct me if i'm wrong....

donCityZ

2,000 RPM
Feb 8, 2006
i dont think u can see the timing belt just by opening the engine hood.
it is normally protected by a cover beside engine head.

other belts (aircon, alternator belts) can be seen.

timing belt change normally must be use a rule of thumb of around 90,000km. (for me la anyhow).

especially if u buy a 2nd hand car, please change the timing belt immediately... dont believe the mechanic that said it is still ok or what. after change once, u only need to change it in another 90,000km or so +/-10,000km.

a friend of mine asked some mechanic to check his timing belt after his mileage is 100,000km.. mechanic said still ok. he believe mech. 3 months after that, timing belt snap.

amdfaisal

4,000 RPM
Sep 6, 2004
Bawah jembatan
screeching sound does not come from the timing belt... it comes from other belts... alternator, aircond, etc. timing belt will not slip. if it does then there will be serious probs since the camshafts need to be rotated in sync with the crankshaft.

just change the timing belt when it has been used for 80k (bigger margin) to 90k km

sakuraguy

5,000 RPM
Nov 4, 2004
Sendai, JAPAN.
www.zerotohundred.com
Open the cover and try press the belt, it shall not be too tight or loose, intermediatte is fine .. for more info, please refer to mechanics, as ifu touch the belt, fo sure u cant feel anything.

Also make sure no cracks, threads worn at the belt side, for more practise, try comparing the NEW BELT, USED BELT and SNAPPED BELT .. from that u can learn the belt looks ..

Cheers!

donCityZ

2,000 RPM
Feb 8, 2006
not so easy to DIY open cover also. and judging on too tight or too loose can be difficult.. only base on rule of thumb.

if u bought ur car brand new, just change when reach 90,000km +/- 10,000km.

if u bought 2nd hand car, just change immediately. dont believe mech say what or salesman say what.

acbc

4,000 RPM
Jan 9, 2004
KD
Also, depends on how u drive... if always high rev, after 60,000kms belt need replacement. Sometimes, due to bad luck... my previous engine kaput because belt snapped after 32,000kms.

sakuraguy

5,000 RPM
Nov 4, 2004
Sendai, JAPAN.
www.zerotohundred.com
Agree, when the car idles also the timing belt affects...

- Stuck in heavy traffic flow for about 1 hour? .. the odometer already reached 500km :) ..
-Idling car with aircond active while having project in car wif girlfriend for about 2 hours? .. there goes another 800km ..

donCityZ

2,000 RPM
Feb 8, 2006
kekekekek!!! good one sakura..

burnner

1,500 RPM
Feb 12, 2007
timing belt should be change by a proper car mechanic..kalau rasa nak bujet..susah sikit la. Not everything you can DIY.
Selalunya must be about 60k...or below..depending on what type of car you are using and also depending on the way you drive your car. If always long distance...remember to always change your timing belt 50k...