Hello Guest! Log in or Sign up for a full experience & ad-free!

FT-86 chief project engineer himself confirms tuner focus of the car

• See what others are reading now! Try Forums > Current Activity
  • Search function more powerful with google results! Try Search

Dinesh

500 RPM
frs-600x399.jpg

One of the forum members of Club4AG, Moto-P, got the chance to attend a dinner meeting with the chief project engineer of the Toyota FT-86, Tetsuya Tada, and got to see the final production version as well as some of the juicy details regarding the car that pretty much confirm that the car was designed with tuning and the aftermarket scene in mind.

The FT-86, was from the onset, designed and intended to be a purist sports car for enthusiasts. The engine, although based on the EJ20 boxer mill from project partner Subaru, has been entirely recast by Toyota. Nonetheless, all the four mounting points of the engine in the bay remain the same as the EJ20 in the Subarus, allowing owners drop in race-ready EJ20 engines into the car.

Toyota also got their old friends at Yamaha to tune the exhaust note of the car to really bring out that boxer burble when you floor it. If you’re planning to enter the FT-86 in some sanctioned race events, you’ll be pleased to know that there are creases and folds on the edge of the sides of the dashboard that allow you to install a rollcage without having to cut up the dashboard.

Tada himself also mentioned that the production version might do without a CD player and navigation unit to keep things simple but considering that most people have iPods or portable music players, iPod and AUX connectivity will be offered.

All this could only spell a bright future for the FT-86 and the return to basics as well as prominent attention on the aftermarket side of things really does align back Toyota with the sporty image it projected back in the day with the AE86, MR2, Celica and Supra. This is definitely one car I would pick over an orgy with Blake Lively and Amber Heard.

Source: Club4AG

Attachments

• frs.jpg
    frs.jpg
    134.4 KB · Views: 996
i would pick nothing over an orgy with blake lively and amber heard.

Wonder when it's gonna be launch and would the selling price be below RM250k?

i would only approve this car as lightweight sports car if they manage to get this car weight below 1250kilos... :proud:

EJ20 ? Wat engine ?
hmm, will it be the new challenger for GTR35 ?

---------- Post added at 12:35 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 12:34 PM ----------

Don't like Toyota but this car really look sexy .. Lol

EJ20 ? Wat engine ?

---------- Post added at 12:35 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 12:34 PM ----------

it's not a Toyota.. it's Subaru.. or is it the other way around??? :rofl::rofl::rofl:

i wish i can own one.. :driver:

definitely can tapau S2000.. :biggrin:

Last edited:
EJ20 ? Wat engine ?

2000 cc engine, so can't touch the gtr ... yet

EJ20 ? Wat engine ?

Bro.. its a different class car... so i don't think it will tapau GTR unless heavily modified one VS a stock GTR35

Wut people need now from Toyota is a replacement for the almighty Supra and indestructable 2JZ ... not another celica or AE ........

The LFA doesnt cut it ... unaffordable ... make something for the masses to stay true to Toyota with something to challenge the GTR :)

True, as for Celica, they should come with something have better potential like previous generation GT ones for rally 4WD. That one is really something....

Nowadays new Toyota engine less power...becoz petrol saving cautions...
That's Toyota & Lexus direction going GREEN, invested quite a big budget for R&D for Electric vehicle.

I doubt this project will be a best seller and hard to follow the legendary SUPRA ( power and fuel hungry gluzer ). Not much budget for R&D of sport cars.

So dont get your hope's high for this FT86. Might just go down the pits like their cousins MRS & Celica. Gosh...under power scarp metal...

---------- Post added 07-24-2011 at 12:15 AM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was 07-23-2011 at 11:59 PM ----------

As mention by Tetsuya san, EJ20 engine from Subaru.

Gosh...now they going to OEM Subaru engine, because of insuficient R&D budget for their own Toyota engine. Dont follow Proton Inspira!!!

EJ20 Boxer...need to think again Toyota san.... Subaru famous for their high maintainance engine and difficult to service parts.
This will crush Toyota brand, if this Engine fail on durability. Get your engineers to buck-up and ship-out the new engine like the legendary 4AGE that build TOYOTA Brand and MOTO MOVING FORWARD not BACKWARD...

if could transplant a 3Sgte will be nice...

original post by Moto Miwa Founder/ Administrator Club4AG...
Club4AG Forum Topics: FT86: FRS Update. 7/15/2011

i doubt one say not enuf budget to r&d..theyre testing the ft86 @ nurburgring for the last 5 years n even the ceo of toyota akio toyota get his hands off the car chasing LFA Nur-Edition on a wet track!
sumore yamaha acoustic r collaborating with toyota to create this car..remember lfa sounds like??:evil:

one must remember main point of this car is basic affordable sports car just like ae86 used to be in those days..dun compare with supra lfa or gtr...

A Post Every 5 Mins

Hey i have a old junk over here, i was like wondering the glass have those stains cannot remove even wash with soap water, is there any chemical that can remove those dust stain or maybe is there any polish to remove it ?
- anyone know how to do it ?
- using sand paper will scratch the glass lah

Online now

Search

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience
Top Bottom