Scion previews their FT-86 at New York

Dinesh

500 RPM
Oct 13, 2006

The amount of concepts being bred from the joint partnership of Toyota and Subaru to create the rear-wheel drive sports car, known to us as the FT-86 and meant to be the spiritual successor of the legendary and nimble Corolla AE86, is utterly ridiculous. After the revised FT-86 was shown at Geneva earlier this year, it was followed by the chassis of Subaru's take on it. Now, completing the tormenting and never-ending anguish is Scion's version of the car, dubbed the FR-S, that was shown in New York.

FR-S stands for 'front-engined, rear-wheel drive sport' and rides on the same platform as the FT-86 but expect some touch ups for the exterior and interior alike to differenciate it. Power is courtesy of a naturally aspirated 2-liter boxer mill from the Subaru warehouse and will be connected to the driven wheels via a six-speed manual or slushbox.

The concept previewed was fitted with 20-inch wheels that measured eight inches wide up front and a healthy 10-inches at the aft. Behind the large wheels are monstrous 18-inch carbon ceramic brakes that are attached to the wheels like a motorcycle, something that adefinitely won't make the leap to production.

Scion said that the FR-S was inspired by the Toyota 2000GT, which isn't really so much of a stretch. On the exterior, the FR-S is devoid of the ugly LED lights and side grilles that found their way onto the Toyota concept. We dare say that of all the versions, this probably looks the to be the most dashing, although the Subaru version hasn't seen the flash of cameras yet.

For now, it's going to be another dreadful wait for the production version to be launched. It appears that the teasing with concepts isn't going to end very soon at this rate.

Source: Autoblog

Attachments

BE5RSK

Known Member
Dec 31, 2009
Besaout
Nice !!! but, 20 inch alloy and 18 inch carbon ceramic are way-way too exotic for 2 liter NA... Hehehe that's what they called concept car isn't it....:biggrin:

skazareth

Known Member
Feb 8, 2007
BE5RSK : u're so realistic!

and true, 18inch disc?! hollyyy shhh*t !

---------- Post added at 12:01 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 11:48 AM ----------

the diffuser and all that skirts r not carbon fiber ? isn't it odd to not have cf parts nowadays? hehee~

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Hi Guys,

I would like to have some inputs from those had used it, been using, stop using or just anybody know about this. I know that electronic throttle on modern cars nowadays using pulse signal to control the throttle opening well thats in a layman term. So as for my readings and understanding, this throttle controller will somehow make the pulse response better?

So my question is, I am interested and considering with Pivot throttle controller, i just want to know, how efficient it...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience