Exhaust for turbo

DemonicxZ`

Known Member
Feb 28, 2010
KL
Hi all sifu,
i wan to ask...a turbo car like gsr or evo should hv a muffler or nt?
cause i go drag race i saw many car without muffler :D
any different between with muffler or w/o muffler?
i dont really care about the noise :itsme:

kumar22mostwanted

1,500 RPM
Jan 9, 2010
HELL!!!
Hi all sifu,
i wan to ask...a turbo car like gsr or evo should hv a muffler or nt?
cause i go drag race i saw many car without muffler :D
any different between with muffler or w/o muffler?
i dont really care about the noise :itsme:
without muffler the sound sure dam shiok and the top end would be more powerful as well
however you would lose quite some torque from the reduced backpressure
which means u will have to downshift more often in daily driving situations coz u will be lacking torque down low
so the choice is urs
but basically for daily driving try to use a muffler for better torque
but if its a all out drag car just dont bother
instead u can try to make a side exit exhaust so exhaust gases can escape even faster :top:

DanzEterna

Nov 1, 2007
PJ
www.primeperdanaclub.com
u can go without muffler, but it would be damn loud, sure will kena tahan by JPJ or polis traffic.
most of them are using muffler, but its placed in the middle. if u bend down u could see it.

mines998

1,000 RPM
Dec 1, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
Is ok la! Be it loud or not exhaust bigger a bit kena tahan already. Aslong yr girlfriend and neighbour don't complaint can already.

ahmedshaikhani

Known Member
Feb 4, 2011
Kuala Lumpur
Turbo cars aren't that loud with open down-pipe if you compare them with N/A engines. Sound is reduced because turbo takes most of the exhaust. Don't know weather JPJ or Polis will have issues or not as I am not Malaysian. :) But you will love the top-end and you will be in love with the sound when turbo kicks.

xtremeleo

3,000 RPM
Oct 18, 2005
i prefer the torque to be on tap, so i opted sflow muffler design for ALL of my rides, be it na or charged

ahmedshaikhani

Known Member
Feb 4, 2011
Kuala Lumpur
i prefer the torque to be on tap, so i opted sflow muffler design for ALL of my rides, be it na or charged
Indeed for low-end you need torque but for high-end you need more HP rather then torque and with short open down-pipe to push the vehicle more fast. As exhaust departs quickly turbo spools more efficiently. But in the end with open down-pipe you'll be missing your BOV whistle :D. As the engine sound kills BOV whistle :P

kumar22mostwanted

1,500 RPM
Jan 9, 2010
HELL!!!
Turbo cars aren't that loud with open down-pipe if you compare them with N/A engines. Sound is reduced because turbo takes most of the exhaust. Don't know weather JPJ or Polis will have issues or not as I am not Malaysian. :) But you will love the top-end and you will be in love with the sound when turbo kicks.
oh yeah i know this sound :biggrin:
and i think xtremeleo also knows this sound pretty well :biggrin:

ahmedshaikhani

Known Member
Feb 4, 2011
Kuala Lumpur
Why don't you guys do a DIY. Make a electronic throttle at exhaust pipe. When ever you want you just press the button throttle will open and exhaust will pass quickly and when ever you want to close its on your wish.

boi

Known Member
Sep 4, 2008
i think Police/JPJ more attracted with big size mufflers compare to straight...

peterj

1,000 RPM
Apr 27, 2010
Kuching
1 problem using diy electronic exhause valve is(diy using power window motor and switch), the jamming problem....if the thing jam, need to do some wrok again ...... since we know the exhaust really hot

boi

Known Member
Sep 4, 2008
why not use manual one using bicycle gear cable + throttle body...

kumar22mostwanted

1,500 RPM
Jan 9, 2010
HELL!!!
i think Police/JPJ more attracted with big size mufflers compare to straight...
not really
it doesnt matter how big ur muffler is coz JPJ call u for inspection based on the size of ur muffler there is no law against the size of the muffler
however the sound the muffler produces is a whole other thing
they will rev ur car too test the sound ur exhaust system produces then if too loud ur in trouble :banghead:

boi

Known Member
Sep 4, 2008
not really
it doesnt matter how big ur muffler is coz JPJ call u for inspection based on the size of ur muffler there is no law against the size of the muffler
however the sound the muffler produces is a whole other thing
they will rev ur car too test the sound ur exhaust system produces then if too loud ur in trouble :banghead:
i mean not after u have been hold by them...i mean for physically watch during we approach any roadblock thats mean normally when we approach any roadblock of course the traffic will be slow and normally we will running in idle rev so the sound not loud yet...thats why when they saw your muffler small the will say "ok jalan" otherwise if they saw something big they will say "ok tepi tepi"...:biggrin:

but the fact is after they rev your car after that only we will know we "kena" or not...they also always "kena" with big2 type off muffler such as SuperDragger, Blitz Nur Spec, Hyper Medallion, Silent HiPower etc after they rev the car..."oh x bising pun ekzos ni...ok jalan"...:biggrin::biggrin: that time all the "prang prang" already pass them...hahaha:biggrin:

kumar22mostwanted

1,500 RPM
Jan 9, 2010
HELL!!!
i mean not after u have been hold by them...i mean for physically watch during we approach any roadblock thats mean normally when we approach any roadblock of course the traffic will be slow and normally we will running in idle rev so the sound not loud yet...thats why when they saw your muffler small the will say "ok jalan" otherwise if they saw something big they will say "ok tepi tepi"...:biggrin:

but the fact is after they rev your car after that only we will know we "kena" or not...they also always "kena" with big2 type off muffler such as SuperDragger, Blitz Nur Spec, Hyper Medallion, Silent HiPower etc after they rev the car..."oh x bising pun ekzos ni...ok jalan"...:biggrin::biggrin: that time all the "prang prang" already pass them...hahaha:biggrin:
yeah u are rite the chances of a bigger muffler getting stopped are greater than for a smaller muffler coz they will assume that bigger muffler will produce louder sound
but that is not the case it is also dependent on the exhaust piping from front to back
but hell they enforce the rules so what to do :banghead: