Evo 3 Alternator Issue

• See what others are reading now! Try Forums > Current Activity
  • Search function more powerful with google results! Try Search

pert

Known Member
May 11, 2005
Damansara
I also have the same problem for voltage drop but I think that was normal while alternator heated the performance will drop so far my alternator not yet giving me problem after I change to re-con type 110amp or maybe I only on weekend.
bro, yesterday i tried to find 110amp since evo 3 using 110amp but could't find .
so i take 95amp (mech said it's from eclipse) recond also. Is it ok?

mines998

1,000 RPM
Dec 1, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
The reason I using 110amp is due to during high rev alternator charging speed can't fullfill the demand for engine. I not sure for EVO but if you car do not have too many electronic device I think it should be ok.

pert

Known Member
May 11, 2005
Damansara
Due to alternator to close to my exhaust piping using cover will having a risk for short circuit. My battery already move to rear base on Apexi turbo timer reading as 13.5V during cold start if no aircon at 12.8V if aircon + headlamp is 12.6V according my experience if can transfer cold air direct to alternator the performance will be better. I recall during my car dyno we spray water to alternator the voltage maintain at 13.5V all the way.
Bro mines998,
good info and idea to transfer the cold air to the alternator. im thinking to put CAI hose but i tot alternator cannot kena air directly.. Sorry im very2 noob.

l2s_turbo

1,000 RPM
Oct 23, 2004
Due to alternator to close to my exhaust piping using cover will having a risk for short circuit. My battery already move to rear base on Apexi turbo timer reading as 13.5V during cold start if no aircon at 12.8V if aircon + headlamp is 12.6V according my experience if can transfer cold air direct to alternator the performance will be better. I recall during my car dyno we spray water to alternator the voltage maintain at 13.5V all the way.
But bro, i also have the same setup as you, battery moved to the rear boot and using Apexi turbo timer reading, cold start is same as you 13.5 sometimes 13.7v, but after a/c and headlights on is 12.3v, later with 2 sets of HIDs on, become 12.0v den slowly will go drop till 11.3v.. but when the mechanic measure directly from the battery, reading was minimum 12.0v which is running charging continuously.. because cut off charge if i'm not wrong was told by the mechanic is 12.3v.. anything lower the alternator will start charging the battery again.. that was all on "idle mode" but when cruising, the lowest it can go on my Apexi turbo timer reading is 11.9v.. the mechanic told me using this reading is not accurate as it tap the voltage from the ignition key not from the battery incoming.. so i'm super confused and annoyed for this case.. when voltage drop, you can feel like the car got no power d... but when the voltage is back to over 12.6~12.8v the car back to responsive mode.. really headache..

I tried google, some recommendations using smaller alternator pulley will help on the idle portion, but if high revving, worry the alternator will eventually burnt too.. but i did read across something like heat will cause the alternator to loose it's charging function.. i still remember the first few occasions, my alternator died during "super hot" afternoons... 2 times also like that..

Sorry for vy long winding me..just cannot tahan already..

pert

Known Member
May 11, 2005
Damansara
l2s_turbo, i can feel ur pain..
Really2 scuks replacing alternator few times & it's not cheap even recond one.
For me 3x this year, latest one is yesterday. Haihhh...

But bro DanzEterna got mention it's can be fix by replacing the carbon brush inside the alternator bout rm50-60 if not mistaken.

I wonder is it all those recond alternator they recond it like this then sell back for couple of hundreds.

Btw bro danz, can u confirm on this i got spare but kong one la, if can repair then i want to fix & keep it for future. scared mine will kong after few month.

Last edited:

l2s_turbo

1,000 RPM
Oct 23, 2004
l2s_turbo, i can feel ur pain..
Really2 scuks replacing alternator few times & it's not cheap even recond one.
For me 3x this year, latest one is yesterday. Haihhh...

But bro DanzEterna got mention it's can be fix by replacing the carbon brush inside the alternator bout rm50-60 if not mistaken.

I wonder is it all those recond alternator they recond it like this then sell back for couple of hundreds.

Btw bro danz, can u confirm on this i got spare but kong one la, if can repair then i want to fix & keep it for future. scared mine will kong after few month.
Yaman, replacing and replacing, waste time also.. but the mechanic also cannot solve.. he sees my car also scared d.. but my fren also got tell me there's one thing inside the alternator, when change/modify that, it can produce more voltage and more stable.. not sure whether is it the voltage regulator? I read in google, it has diode, tri-diode.. hmm.. sienz..

mines998

1,000 RPM
Dec 1, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
Maybe you can explore CAI to your alternator if the space allowed. I pretty sure it does help a lot. Lifted bonnet and air scoop also can help. According web info alternator will lose function once tempreture over 125 celcius. Keep the alternator cold is the best way to protect it.

l2s_turbo

1,000 RPM
Oct 23, 2004
Maybe you can explore CAI to your alternator if the space allowed. I pretty sure it does help a lot. Lifted bonnet and air scoop also can help. According web info alternator will lose function once tempreture over 125 celcius. Keep the alternator cold is the best way to protect it.
Hmm, really gotta try this method.. anyway what about the exhaust wrapping? Recommended?:confused:

mines998

1,000 RPM
Dec 1, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
Yes exhaust wrapping are recommended it prevent raw heat direct hit yr alternator.

l2s_turbo

1,000 RPM
Oct 23, 2004
Yes exhaust wrapping are recommended it prevent raw heat direct hit yr alternator.
Ok will try it this weekend.. did you do the exhaust wrapping too? Will it damage the welding points as according to some mechanics? Eg cracks caused by soaked wraps that heat up and soak and heat up.. :confused:

pert

Known Member
May 11, 2005
Damansara
Ok will try it this weekend.. did you do the exhaust wrapping too? Will it damage the welding points as according to some mechanics? Eg cracks caused by soaked wraps that heat up and soak and heat up.. :confused:
Yeah, heard about this also, some ppl not recommended but some ppl else do..
Which part should be wraps bro? exhaust manifold there? N/A & turbo also same?

l2s_turbo

1,000 RPM
Oct 23, 2004
Yeah, heard about this also, some ppl not recommended but some ppl else do..
Which part should be wraps bro? exhaust manifold there? N/A & turbo also same?
That's why i also blurr already.. whether to do or not to do...

mines998

1,000 RPM
Dec 1, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
So far I use DEI thermal wrap is quite ok. If you worry the thermal wrap will damage the welding point maybe you can just wrap those area which you think is critical.

l2s_turbo

1,000 RPM
Oct 23, 2004
Ok will try out this weekend..hopefully it works..:biggrin:

MingFai

Known Member
Apr 18, 2010
P.J Jln Gasing
That's why lo...
But alternator dint give any signal when malfunction...
Why ar??
Some car won't give any battery sign show in dashboard. Even the blub is still working..

mines998

1,000 RPM
Dec 1, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
Just install after market volt meter lo... If you notice yr voltage keep dropping mean yr alternator kong already but also too late.

DanzEterna

Nov 1, 2007
PJ
www.primeperdanaclub.com
pert...
u try asking yr pomen...if they know...they should know how to change the carbon brush inside...ive seen my fren done it before, that was couple of years ago.....same thing as other ppl selling recond alternators....buy spoilt alternators, rm30-50, change carbon brush rm50 or less then respray & sell rm180...

if u kept yr old ones..u could do the same thing.....at least get back 3/4 of your costs....u paid for all 3 alternators....

l2s_turbo

1,000 RPM
Oct 23, 2004
pert...
u try asking yr pomen...if they know...they should know how to change the carbon brush inside...ive seen my fren done it before, that was couple of years ago.....same thing as other ppl selling recond alternators....buy spoilt alternators, rm30-50, change carbon brush rm50 or less then respray & sell rm180...

if u kept yr old ones..u could do the same thing.....at least get back 3/4 of your costs....u paid for all 3 alternators....
But i think not many ppl know how to do or willing to do i guess.. that's their rice bowl.. else "pecah lobang".. like my alternator guy, never said anything bout this also.. but his worker got secretly tell me there are something can be done and even modify it to perform better.. only thing boss duwan to do..:banghead:

l2s_turbo

1,000 RPM
Oct 23, 2004
Yalor... go buy him kopi tomoro...because the worker is an old man.. so his experience should be vy much.. heard last time he do alternator recoil himself... how many amps you want also can.. but now old already 60+.. cannot see properly.. so just do what the boss tell him to do lo.. anyway this alternator issue had been bugging me for vy long time already.. vy fed up until feel like selling of the car! :banghead::banghead::banghead: