Diy Zero Cost Heat Shield

-storm-

Known Member
Aug 26, 2006
Hey guys how is my new DIY heat shield for open port filter .
I see K&N open port got heat shield so i jealous i also make my own

i took the concept from this pic

Here is my zero cost heat shield made with oem air box with a small mod,quite straight forward actually but dono is it effective of not what do u guys think?
Now i notice the area is more cooler compared to last time!

Any suggestion to improve it?

Last edited:

unknown1x

Known Member
Sep 26, 2006
inovative.. well. to improve it..
you knw the space between ur car and ur box.. seal it.. with.. anything u can think of.. hehehe
carb board box aslso can.. hahahaha
then sure 100% better.

dyupol

Apr 27, 2006
how did you do it exactly? how did you insert the filter to that box?

imoloq

1,000 RPM
Nov 1, 2005
Use Jacobs biscuit tin for heat shield. I tried it before and it's easy to build. Paint it silver to reflect heat. Or you can wrap it with aluminum foil.

-storm-

Known Member
Aug 26, 2006
how did you do it exactly? how did you insert the filter to that box?
Just use back half of the oem box la, make an adapter for it from plastic or metal pipe that fits into the oem opening and tighten it with 3m tape on the inside if u want but my pipe fits nicely so no need for that. :_:

nitrus

2,000 RPM
Nov 14, 2005
If I were you, i would keep it like this..

It's good and cool already, don't totally seal it.. Unless u got a CAI leading to it.. Later suffocate hahahaha

ettm_14

500 RPM
Jul 30, 2006
very creative bro...but if you wanna use back the oem fliter still can?or the mod will have already damage the box?

ettm_14

500 RPM
Jul 30, 2006
but if suffocate also not a bad idea...haha...i mean like my wira auto 1.5 i change to open pod...low torque suffered badly, but mid and high have significant increase...
people say open pod not good for my wira 1.5 auto because it cannot detect or suit it self(the ECU) to the large amount of air intake coming in. Thus might cause damage to it??
I did a heat insulator covering my whole filter without CAI...seen a slight increase in low torque...
Dunno is it placebo effect or not...

just my two cents...

donCityZ

2,000 RPM
Feb 8, 2006
ARE YOU KIDDING? how to suffocate the intake???
its not vacuum for godsake, no mater how u seal it la..

this is GOOD DIY JOB!

nitrus

2,000 RPM
Nov 14, 2005
LOL !!!! not suffocate la.. but less air, if wanna seal all up without anything , might as well don't put any CAI right since it's less air to suck?

well, I notice good CAI system, it's either u totally block out everything, and lead a CAI hose into the sealed air filter area (like the pipercross one i think)

OR

you block the surrounding as much as you can yet leave some space (like the K&N heatshield thing, NOTE that it doesn't totally block out everything)

Makes you wonder huh?

imoloq

1,000 RPM
Nov 1, 2005
Dun argue la. The topic is about heat shield, not how much air the intake can take in. What I reckon is a good setup is that you have an area far away from the engine and feed cold air from your front bumper to that space. It will complement the heat shield. My previous setup involves the relocation of the battery so that there's a cool space away from the engine for the intake.

-storm-

Known Member
Aug 26, 2006
Hey guys know anywhere to get those hose for CAI ar? :confused_smile: I cant find it near my place(wangsa maju) and i notice that my fog lights(two round sport light at the bumper) are blocking the path towards the bumper. How ar?