DIY - Radiator Top Hose Replacement

ayen_s

Jan 21, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
During routine radiator coolant top up activity, i found out that my top radiator hose leaked. This call for short trip to car spare part shop. Below steps I did to replace it.

Spare part:
1. 1. Hose radiator up- PN PW823117 (this Part No. for Proton Gen 2)- 1 unit. RM17.00

Tool:
1. Long nose plier. (please get a minimum jaw length of 2 inch).
2. Philips head screw driver. (I'm using the standard philips head screw driver that come with the car.)

Precaution
1. Do not perform this while your engine is still hot. Wait until the engine cool down.
2. Remove the key while working. You do not want somebody turn on the engine accidentally.

Steps.
1. Use the long nose plier to loosen the clamp grip on the hose to radiator.
2. Remove the hose from radiator.

3. Use philips head screw driver to loosen the clamp at the engine.

4. Remove the hose from the engine. Picture below showing the engine with hose removed.

5. Take out the new hose from its packaging. Ensure you have the correct parts.
6. Insert both clamp to the new hose.

7. If you have gasket maker. Apply it to the outside of the holes and inside the hose where contacts will take place. Best to use a high temperature gasket maker as picture example below.

8. Identify the hose end with the smaller diameter. Insert this end to the engine.
9. Push the clamp close to the end. Leave 1-2 cm clearance from the hose end.
10. Use philip head screw driver to tighten the clamp.
11. Identify the hose end with the bigger diameter. Insert this end to the radiator.
12. Use long nose plier to loosen and adjust the clamp. Position the clamp close to the end. Leave 1-2 cm clearance from the hose end. Below picture with new hose installed.

13. Top up the coolant into the radiator.
14. Close back the coolant cap.
14. Clean up the work place. Ensure all tools are not left inside the engine bay.
15. Start the engine. Observe for any leaks while the engine is running for 2 minutes.
16. Turn on the air cond. By this stage, your engine will be running hot and your water pump will start circulating coolant to and from your engine to radiator.
17. Observe the water temperature gauge in your meter cluster. You do not want to see the temperature going into the red zone. Mine showing the needle pointing almost near 90 degree celsius well below the red zone. Remember, RED ZONE = ENGINE OVERHEAT.

Discussion
1. This replacement work take me one hour to remove old hose and install the new hose.
2. I am a bit surprised that I only use very minimum tool for this work. 1 plier and 1 screw driver only.
3. Radiator hose is made from layers of rubber with some steel wire in the middle for structure integrity. Rubber is susceptible to damage from high temperature (brittle) and oil (dissolving).
4. Age of the car is a factor that may be causing the broken hose.

D7zul

2,000 RPM
Feb 24, 2011
Shah Alam
i think this can apply to all hoses in the engine bay

right?

:biggrin:

me2kimi

500 RPM
Jun 25, 2007
Puchong
Nice diy bro.

i think this can apply to all hoses in the engine bay

right?

:biggrin:
yes, you are right. 10 markah untuk anda. hehe:biggrin:

mike77kl

Known Member
Aug 29, 2011
Kuala Lumpur
Hi, i got 2 questions.

1. Why does the cooling system needs to operate under pressure?

2. Can i remove the thermostat?

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
Hi, i got 2 questions.

1. Why does the cooling system needs to operate under pressure?

2. Can i remove the thermostat?
1. Without it the water can't circulate fast enough to cool and strong enough to be pumped through the tiny lines in the radiator.

2. No. Without it the engine will never reach optimum temperature and your engine will suffer premature wear and tear.

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

What is the different between self modify from stock compare to buy from ready made, like AEM?

Anyone can tell?

First for sure the quality is different. What about the performance?
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience