Difficult to engage 1st gear

• See what others are reading now! Try Forums > Current Activity
  • Search function more powerful with google results! Try Search

cb70

Known Member
Jun 14, 2005
Serdang
Hi guys,

Recently, actually a couple of months back, sometimes i've find it diffcult to engage into 1st gear especially from a stand still mode e.g. in jam hi-ways & even traffic light....Fyi, i've changed my gearbox oil yesterday but still it is very difficult to get into first gear eventhough i step hard enough to the clutch pedal....Usually while deccelerating to a stop, i'll drop gear from 5-4-3-2 & 1 and will not free the gear in order to overcome my problem...

What went wrong? Anyone experience this before? For GTti, is the gearbox oil & clutch oil use the same oil?

Need your opinion on this..

tqvm..:sad_smile:

xtremeleo

3,000 RPM
Oct 18, 2005
did u alwiz try to engage into 1st before the vehicle comes to a complete stop? if dats the case, its a syncromesh problem, mainly for the 1st gear. most old vehicles dont have syncro for 1st since it is sufficient to engage 2nd if the vehicle still have momentum / motion. 1st is supposed to be used from standstill, not to slow down the car.

if dats not the case, check the linkages, maybe they r worn / rusted? have u set the clutch rite?

TiBuN

Known Member
May 16, 2004
Penang / BM
Visit site
how long is your clutch distance? standard or short?
If short, try release it to standard distance and see if it helps.

cb70

Known Member
Jun 14, 2005
Serdang
Thanks guys for the input...

Bro xtremeleo,

Actually while got still a little bit of momentum before the car nearly stop, i'll lower down to gear 1 in case, i got stuck to start to move again from standstill...hehe
Do u mean, i should check on the clutch cable connection?

Bro tibun,

I think my clutch is short release...i try to release it in standard distance to see if there is any signifincant different...If i'm not mistaken, my clutch plate is from GTti one...Do u think my clutch plate has worn out already?

xtremeleo

3,000 RPM
Oct 18, 2005
did u alwiz do dat before d problem occured bro? as u understood, check ur cable conection bro, just to make sure k. dis is a typical symptom if u have a problem wit ur syncro, but opening the gearbox wud take to much effort and may damage ur pocket, lol.. so, check wit the simplest up to d hardest to do, in dis way u'll find d problem along the way witout spending unnecessarily. keep us update k

worm clutch plate may also lead to this problem, but u didnt say having difficulties engaging the other gears. or, do u smell sumthin burning when putting ur foot down bro? more info please..

TiBuN

Known Member
May 16, 2004
Penang / BM
Visit site
I also dunno, worth a shot coz it's easy to troubleshoot :P
Last time my case I think is like this, 1st and 2nd gear hard 2 engage; 3rd, 4th and 5th no problem, due to changing of clutch bearing (similar to clutch wear off)

cb70

Known Member
Jun 14, 2005
Serdang
xtremeleo said:
did u alwiz do dat before d problem occured bro? as u understood, check ur cable conection bro, just to make sure k. dis is a typical symptom if u have a problem wit ur syncro, but opening the gearbox wud take to much effort and may damage ur pocket, lol.. so, check wit the simplest up to d hardest to do, in dis way u'll find d problem along the way witout spending unnecessarily. keep us update k

worm clutch plate may also lead to this problem, but u didnt say having difficulties engaging the other gears. or, do u smell sumthin burning when putting ur foot down bro? more info please..
Since convert last yr, i can says sometime I can't engage the 1st gear..therefore, while slowing down to a stop (about 2-3 seconds) with a small amount of momentum left, i will firmly free the gear & put into 1st gear...If i don't do this, probably I will not be able to put into 1st gear from a standstill & the gear knob feels like stuck:confused_smile: But, at morning start, can easily engage one...

Yup, agree wif u, if to open the gearbox will drain my pocket & its unneccesary thing to do for the initial stage...So opening gear box will not be my 1st troubleshooting choice...I'll take ur advise, will check the cable connection 1st...

Problem only when try engaging the 1st gear from standstill, rest of other gears, seem no problem at all...Nope burning smell so far....

cb70

Known Member
Jun 14, 2005
Serdang
TiBuN said:
I also dunno, worth a shot coz it's easy to troubleshoot :P
Last time my case I think is like this, 1st and 2nd gear hard 2 engage; 3rd, 4th and 5th no problem, due to changing of clutch bearing (similar to clutch wear off)
Hemm...clutch bearing, how much will it cost bro?:_:

TiBuN

Known Member
May 16, 2004
Penang / BM
Visit site
No la, i don't think it's your clutch bearing problem, mine was because I change clutch to Exedy (long story). But a wear off clutch shows similar symptom hence I suggest that earlier.

What xtremeleo said can be true also as an old gearbox will be more prone on experiencing synchromesh worn out.

Anyway, bearing last time cost me around RM80. Small piece of crap.

cateyes

Known Member
Nov 25, 2004
Kuala Lumpur
Try to adjust ur clutch cable back .Also check ur screw that hold the clutch cable.It should be 2 screw to hold the bracket for the cable.

Clutch bearing u can refer to ur pomen that do the converstion. ;)

Adviseable if u want to change better change all of the 3 part such as the clutch plate,clutch cover and bearings.

TiBuN

Known Member
May 16, 2004
Penang / BM
Visit site
cateyes said:
Adviseable if u want to change better change all of the 3 part such as the clutch plate,clutch cover and bearings.
It's time for Exedy Racing clutch :_:

cb70

Known Member
Jun 14, 2005
Serdang
Thank cat eyes & tibun,

i'll go check on the clutch cable 1st this saturday....:D

Hemm...exedy racing clutch, sounds interesting..Is it really hard to depress the clutch pedal after we step on it? hehehe maybe my next project.....