Toyota Corolla 1996 after replace clutch hard to engage gear

dannybboy87

Jan 29, 2013
Melaka
Hi members,

This problem has really stumped me badly ... my Toyota Corolla 1996 1.6 (Manual) just had its clutch set replaced last week and new gear oil ... right after ... it suffered from hard to engage gears. Happens when car is stopped and want to enter into 1st gear ... (it is really stiff ... !! especially during morning) ... after warm up still stiff but not so bad ... While holding the clutch pedal and enter in 1st gear it is stiff to enter but when successfully entered the gear and free back to neutral while holding the clutch pedal, and engage in 1st gear again it is smooth ... and after change clutch plate, from neutral with car stop it is impossible to shift into 3rd and 5th gear ... where last time before replacing the clutch plate this doesnt happen ...

Job done - Gearbox treatment ... Bleeding the clutch twice ... adjusted the clutch level with both high clutch and low clutch tried ... yields the same result ...

Can anyone help me pls:bawling: ? TQ ya ...

KenDiriwan

1,000 RPM
Mar 15, 2006
kendiriwan.multiply.com
What exactly is a gearbox treatment?
What clutch plate did you changed? with what oil?
Did you check gear synchro?

I assume this is 4AFE?

dannybboy87

Jan 29, 2013
Melaka
using back ordinary exedy clutch (not racing clutch ok) ... the oil treatment the foreman told me is some type of chemical mixed into the gearbox ... clutch bleeding has done twice ... the hard to shift only happens when car is stopped (especially morning) but when moving it shifts nicely ...

About the sychros i dun really know how they work and the function too ... :confused:

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
using back ordinary exedy clutch (not racing clutch ok) ... the oil treatment the foreman told me is some type of chemical mixed into the gearbox ... clutch bleeding has done twice ... the hard to shift only happens when car is stopped (especially morning) but when moving it shifts nicely ...

About the sychros i dun really know how they work and the function too ... :confused:
Don't think is the synchros as synchros actually help easy shifting when engine running different speed as the gear box, means when in motion and shifting into gears like 2 to 5. Your problem is when stationary and shifting into 1st.
As long as the clutch works it is not the bleeding too. This means when depress clutch pedal the other end moves.
What gear oil viscosity did the foreman use? Usually when thick viscosity, hard to shift when cold. After warm up the oil viscosity is lighter so shifting is easier. I had twice face this problem, but not sure if same for you.
My first was my 1987 Accord, which uses 20w-50 for gear oil. My mechanic got one time tried 90 gear oil and it became stiff
2nd time was my Wira, use 90 and it was stiff so change to multi grade 75w-90 and it was better.:driver:

dannybboy87

Jan 29, 2013
Melaka
ok ... about half an hour later i am going back to the mechanic ... so is there a possibility the hard shift got something to do with the clutch pressure plate? should i tell the mechanic check on this too ? maybe is the cause of the hard shift when stop during the morning / cold

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Sometimes new parts can be faulty too. Like for me got one time my clutch skips on first gear with new Exedy clutch plate. Mechanic took out and skim the flywheel, problem still there, then he change the clutch plate again and problem solved. Looks like your mechanic needs to double check the system again....

dannybboy87

Jan 29, 2013
Melaka
i think i am the unlucky one ... caught up with the faulty new part ... hopefully can get it done by today evening ...

dannybboy87

Jan 29, 2013
Melaka
didnt witness ... because i drop my car there that morning and collect it by evening ... didnt see what is going on ...

ken yeang

6,000 RPM
Feb 2, 2006
poor worksmanship was a problem I faced last time when I sent my car for brake pad replacement.

After a few hours of driving my car, the wheel of the car makes tik-tik-tik sound.....I check and found out that one of the rims had 2 of the lug nuts that weren't tighten at all. Lucky thing the wheel didn't fly off while I was driving...I later found out the repair was done by a kim moh (gold hair) guy, obviously he was so occupied with his smartphone while on the job.

I don't think it takes a genius to know that lug nuts need to be adequately tightened back after the rims are installed.

dannybboy87

Jan 29, 2013
Melaka
Update: Solved Problem

After one month of nightmare ... finally able to found the cause ... using back the old pressure plate and remain using the new clutch disk solved the problem ... no more hard shifts except for the reverse gears still will grind when the car is warm ... when cold the reverse wont make any noise when attempt to push in reverse ...

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Update: Solved Problem

After one month of nightmare ... finally able to found the cause ... using back the old pressure plate and remain using the new clutch disk solved the problem ... no more hard shifts except for the reverse gears still will grind when the car is warm ... when cold the reverse wont make any noise when attempt to push in reverse ...
So was pressure plate problem. What gear oil viscosity you using?

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Macau, the land of many dreams and sins. A great place to go, when you've always heard of it in most movies from Hong Kong or Asian cinema. This was my first time there, despite hearing it being repeated off many sorts of media.

Basically, airlines are abundant to actually fly to Macau. Airasia provides great deals to these destinations. Either or, you could take a plane and land in Hong Kong...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience