Nissan Sentra N16 on cold start car not moving when engage to "D"

Cuppy

Oct 22, 2009
Selangor
Dear gurus, sifus, seniors,

This situation recently took place whereby during the cold start when i engage it to D, the car seems not moving at all. Thus i have to shift it to 1, then the car start to move, then slowly to 2 and D. Say if the engine is warm, this situation will not take place.

Consulted Tan Chong guys, he says it might be the GB problem. But i still believe there might be someway else to fix this problem. Therefore seeking some form assistance from zth'ians so that this thing can be resolved. Thanks in advance people :)

Cuppy

Oct 22, 2009
Selangor
Last ATF changing was on the last service which is roughly 5k km before. Tho, the mechanic says can change atf every 40k interval but i insist him on to do it every 20k mileage.

Supra_Fanatics

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Sep 17, 2008
20K Mileage to change ATF is the most recommended time to change...
40K too much la..:banghead:

Cuppy

Oct 22, 2009
Selangor
yes bro DanzEterna, thanks for the suggestion. Will do it. Do you have any idea using ATF external cooler? Had the thought of installing it as well. Any feedback on this?

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
Cuppy : Question-

1. When you put it in "D", do you give it a little gas or you just want it to move by itself when in D?

2. What gearbox oil are you using? Some smartass mechs say "Can one la.. this one better" and use another type of oil when the manufacturers manual specifically requests for another type of oil.

There's an article on ATF coolers on the main page that I posted up talking about ATF coolers. Have a read :

http://www.zerotohundred.com/newforums/automotive-news/383202-transmission-coolers.html

Cuppy

Oct 22, 2009
Selangor
To answer the question bro Izso,

1) As we all know usually when you engage into D, it will move by itself. But in this situation it seems like no respond at all. The feel of D is the same feel of engaging to N. No respond. Thus, i have to wait till the engine gets warmer abit say like 5mins then can engage to D. If i want to start and go, then i have to engage it to 1, then slowly to 2, then to D. This is what i am doing currently.

2) The oil that im using which is available in the mechanic shop is called SuperNova or something like that. Besides he also has Toyota ATF which is claimed to be a better ones. Talking about good ATF oils i have not much idea though, lol

Thanks for the link will go through it shortly. :)

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
Danz and Cuppy : omg.. you two need to understand that different ATF works differently!

Toyota Type-IV is not compatible with Dexron III
SPIII is not compatible with Dexron III
Dexron III is not compatible with Mercon IV
CVT Gear oil is not compatible with other types of ATF

This very reason is why Honda stopped offering their CVT gearbox in their City models. Owners kept complaining about how unreliable the gearbox was and all that crap when 99% of the time they weren't using authorized or proper CVT oil in the first place! My fathers old Perdana had a bad GB after 4 years of using the wrong oil because the "mech said it was better".

These oils all have different viscosities and heat tolerances. The gears in the trannys were designed with these tolerances in mind and if you introduce something else, they will die a slow and painful death.

If the manufacturer demands Dexron III then the best you can do is use fully synthetic Dexron III. Mineral / semi and fully syn ATF all make a huge difference in terms of performance.

Cuppy

Oct 22, 2009
Selangor
yes absolutely, thanks for the informative post izso. Like i said earlier, i have not much knowledge on ATF's. So in my situation, do you have any recommendation on which brand or type ATF should i use?

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
based on a quick Google search, the N16 seems to be using Dexron III. Can you confirm this through your car user manual? Or sometimes it's printed on a sticker under the engine hood / engine bay or on the door side sill?

If yes then consider fully synthetic oils like Motul, Redline - Dexron III of course. Otherwise the Daihatsu or Nissan Dexron III is perfectly good enough.

Incidentally, the ATF is cold when starting on a cold start. The oil might be too thick to circulate properly in the morning so hence the lack of response from your heavy car. My Wira is the same thing so I have to give it some gas for it to move.

Cuppy

Oct 22, 2009
Selangor
yes brother, taken note and will work the necessary things to solve my situation. thx alot by the way. Much appreciated :)

Cuppy

Oct 22, 2009
Selangor
Nope, haven't yet. Was away for work couple of days. Anyways, 1 year ago, i have changed the GB revolution sensor which cost about 600++ in TCM. The problem before was the gear doesn't shift at all as in stays at gear 1. Thus sensor replacement have been made. For now, i might try on flushing it like what brother danzeterna suggestion. Perhaps, lets see how things goes after that :)

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Hye guys,

I just bought my 2001 Satria just 2 weeks ago. Unfortunately, its start to reveal its problem.:banghead:

When I start my car no problems. But during 20-30 minutes of driving it will start wheezing, the RPM cant reach over 2k or else the wheezing will got worse and worse. But it will back to normal if I restart the car. But the problem come again after a short ride. For info, at first i thought it just the plug, but still my assumption was wrong.

Start the car at morning-...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience