ABS vs Bigger disc and calipers

Seraph

2,000 RPM
Jun 20, 2004
Kuala Lumpur
Visit site
Lets take for example a Wira 1.5Gli it comes stock with disc in the front plus 2pot calipers (i think) and drum brakes at the rear.

So if was wondering if wanna get better performance ..

1) Transplant ABS from a compatible Lancer set.

2) Upgrade the rear to disc also, upgrade the front to bigger ventilated disc, and upgrade calipers from 2pot to 4pot (for example).

I think (1) would be the obvious solution if doing an engine transplant as everything would be compatibe but if it wasn't a transplant and the car got more power from bolt-on turbo/surpercharger/etc. whats your comment/ideas?

Thanks in advance sifu's :lol:

guest18

Known Member
Jul 4, 2004
I dont like abs ... prefer larger caliper better pad and such

not fond of new age stuff

to me abs just dont feel right ,prefer use my own leg ...

beatnik

500 RPM
Nov 28, 2004
Visit site
ABS really helps for daily road use coz of the traffic & weather condition in malaysia

bigger brakes for track use

just my 2 cents :D

flamefox850

500 RPM
Nov 15, 2003
Pasir Mas
www.geocities.com
abs is just another advance technology to prevent BRAKE LOCK and prevent tires skid la but bigger caliper improves braking power. so, how to compare lah.
use both la

GSR5559

1,000 RPM
Nov 14, 2003
www.zerotohundred.com
seraph: as for stock proton it is oni single pot..for those Vr4, Evo = 2 pot (twinpot)..if i were u :

1> go for twin pot wif cross-drilled and slotted wif a good brake pads recommended..

2> rear get a disc brake too..it will help alittle too, mebi 70/30 as in the brake usage for front/rear...

3> as for ABS , it depends to u how is ur driving style..u like real hard braking den dun use it but i know it will do miracles wen u cant control ur car

4> suspension also plays a roll here..wif a hard setup of suspension, ur braking performance will improve alittle..why ? once it is hard wen u go high speed and do sudden brake, ur front wont have much pressure and that will make ur braking better cus front wont drown too much ...this is jus my opinion..im not veri sure..im jus comparing driving a stock car wif a modded ones..a soft ones and a hard ones i can feel difference

hope it helps

boggysv

2,000 RPM
Sep 7, 2004
Originally posted by flamefox850@Jan 30 2005, 23:31
abs is just another advance technology to prevent BRAKE LOCK and prevent tires skid la but bigger caliper improves braking power. so, how to compare lah.
use both la
how does a bigger calipper produce more braking power?
I believe that the bigger calipper is to mount more "pots" that will help in evening out pad wear. Fluid pressure is still the same.

U will notice a whole lot of difference when u change to a bigger brake booster

usually it's just the pads/disc material, contact area and leverage effect that gives u the better braking power.

leave ur abs there...it wont kacau u when u r driving and it may very well save ur ass one day. It saved mine.

Racing drivers prefer not to use ABS to get more feel and control over that brakes.
Yes, I admit some of them may even brake better than the ABS system when all 4 wheels have decent grip.

tell me how are you going to brake when u run into a puddle of water on one side?
Or when one wheel gets oil spilled on it?

I bet my 2cents that the ABS can do a better job in such crappy situations.

cheers,
chen

boggysv

2,000 RPM
Sep 7, 2004
I demm sien here ler...so just posting for fux.

biggger calipers are capable of mounting more and bigger pistons.
The surface area of the pistons determines the force the fluid can transmit to push the pads against the disc.
That's ur secondary school physics.

so, in a way, flamefox is correct that bigger callipers improve braking power.

Yong_5290

3,000 RPM
Nov 4, 2004
Klang
hotmail.com
i think changing 2 twin pot on 1.5 wira already very 'makan' edi...since it 4 vr4 turbo o evo....

n 1 more thing is tat...it looks damn cool wit those xtra large disc n caliper...

Seraph

2,000 RPM
Jun 20, 2004
Kuala Lumpur
Visit site
oh standard disc wan is 1pot only kah? :P

sorry ah "^_^

i just thought bigger disc and more pots better braking distance, grip and threshold :(

GSR5559

1,000 RPM
Nov 14, 2003
www.zerotohundred.com
yes stock proton cars are all single pot even for Putra,Gti, but they have a bigger callis/pistons and bigger disc diameter compare to 1.3/1.5 protons..as for GSR stock is also single pot but bigger disc diamter and bigger callis/pistons...VR4 also got single pot same like GSR ... and yes wif a bigger disc and callis will improve braking performance, thats how i feel le..if ther is no braking performance upgraded, why ppl spend so much to go for ENDLESS,Project U,Brembo, if they dun make any difference!!! and those brakes callis are 4 pot and more if im not mistaken..for sure it will make big big difference having those expensive brakes fo those powerful cars to brake in time..if bigger disc and callis wont make any diff, why EVO,Subaru dun use single pot rite? use back VR4 brake system or mebi GSR braking system..same thing rite..ehehhe
jus my 2 cents

kher

1,500 RPM
Aug 30, 2004
Klang, Selangor
Visit site
if car's performance not til tat stage no need go for big callipers n disc la...

save ur money for some better brake pad will do....
spend so much buy big callipers n disc later no money buy brake pad... :D

some ppl juz buy bigger callipers n disc to enhance thier car's look nia... ;)

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Hello! every body...

Nice to meet u all....

I need help... :cry_smile: :cry_smile: My brother bought the wrong kit (skyline R34 nismo) at RM2800 that doesn't suit his car... anyone can help??

Its nice...

Sad gal...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience