2011 Volkswagen Polo GTI

Lepakboy

Jul 7, 2004
Volkswagen Malaysia has just launched their brand new car, the 2011 Polo GTI. Powered by the same engine as the 1.4 litre Golf, this one has a supercharger/Turbo charger combo which is simply masturbation material for us gear heads. But priced at RM139,000, is that justifiable.

What are your impressions of the car and would you pay that amount of money for it? Seems a bit much as you can get anything from new Civics, to used Evo's for that price. But the 5 year maintenance free plan is tempting.

2011 Volkswagen Polo GTI Launch at Sepang International Circuit - YouTube

Attachments

Tom

TIMETOATTACK
Helmet Clan
Jul 6, 2000
Kuala Lumpur
I've driven the Polo GTI last Friday at Sepang, posting this from the phone, I'll go straight to the point, with a first impression to follow soon. Okay I must say it's pretty much like the Golf GTI but a smaller version.

Very punchy, and handles beautifully, it may not have the EDC but turn in is sharp and roll is minimal, could well match the Golf in the corners.

XDS is a great feature and is a must for all future FF hot hatches without a mechanical LSD. At turn 9 with pedal almost to the floor, the XDS allows just enough power for each of the front wheels and there is no understeer nor wheel spin at all, ever.

It's funny how the revs climb like it's slipping but it's only helping you to power through as much as possible.

The brakes, coupled with the fast downshifting of the DSG when instructed by hand is more than what many can ask for. It's hard to believe the Polo GTI with stock brakes can handle intense braking under 100m mark and allows you to explore further at each lap. Though it squirms a little under braking probably due to the narrower tyres.

DSG is still fast and accurate with a noticeable louder boom compared to the regular 1.4 Golf.

All I can say is if you're in the market for a hatch with about RM100k to spend, can live with the smaller size and space of the Polo, there is no substitute for this little mini Golf GTI.

For Mac users, it's like the fully specced MacBook Pro 13" as compared to the 15"
I will try to think of more examples for the full article.

It will eat other hatches in the city and bully even its
Bigger brother up on the hills without a fuss.

artworkz

500 RPM
Jul 3, 2008
JB
is only come with 5 years warranty and premium road assist but is not include free maintenance. correct me if i m wrong

Lepakboy

Jul 7, 2004
Didn't get a chance to drive the car yet, but looking forward to it. I thought the best part of the car spec wise has to be the DSG gearbox. Looking forward to trying the test unit when they are released.

Artworkz, not too sure about the free maintenance as well. Probably a typo on my part. But I do hope people start taking the same approach that Ford has. Eventually it will mean all consumers win.

turbolover

1,000 RPM
Nov 17, 2005
Ah, just about to start a thread asking the same questions. Tom, did you try the 2 door or the 4 door Polo? Does it differs much in handling? I guess it's a pocket rocket. Very tempting since it's economical and comes with power.

Kevin Lee

1,500 RPM
Jan 26, 2009
Kampar, Perak
ive only test driven the previous generation 1.8 turbo charged golf gti, it was a great car, but i think the last generation sips a lot of fuel compared to this generation and only came in the manual form, which was a turn off to most drivers. good to know the new one has a dsg gear box and at a similar price like the former, this would prove to be a good car. most likely a car that commands a good resale price compared to the former.

turbolover

1,000 RPM
Nov 17, 2005
Drop by one of the branches but no car yet. Only reaching those showrooms in September. Jimmy, you get what you pay for lo. The ride is like heaven and earth. Cannot compare. Lots of intelligent feature in the car as well. It's not about displacement anymore when it comes to pricing. Safety feature and technology plays an important role.

artworkz

500 RPM
Jul 3, 2008
JB
camry oni win in size. other than space i dun see any advantage of camry over polo GTi.
i hv comfirm the car package not come with free maintance. so far oni Ford and Inspira hv free maintance.

turbolover

1,000 RPM
Nov 17, 2005
camry oni win in size. other than space i dun see any advantage of camry over polo GTi.
i hv comfirm the car package not come with free maintance. so far oni Ford and Inspira hv free maintance.
I don't think they came with free maintenance in the first place. My dad purchase the Passat last year also with 5 years warranty.

Tom

TIMETOATTACK
Helmet Clan
Jul 6, 2000
Kuala Lumpur
Ah, just about to start a thread asking the same questions. Tom, did you try the 2 door or the 4 door Polo? Does it differs much in handling? I guess it's a pocket rocket. Very tempting since it's economical and comes with power.
i tried the 4-door as the 2-door was taken, i'm sure the difference is only in practicality and looks and not handling. it definitely is a pocket rocket. I'd prefer 2-doors for cars, but to be honest, both the Polo and Golf does not look significantly better, if at all in its 2-door form.

paying rm139k for 1.4 cc car?crazy le?depend for ppl which worth to pay vw small car or toyota camry 2.0...think again..
you're comparing a laptop and a desktop computer.

ive only test driven the previous generation 1.8 turbo charged golf gti, it was a great car, but i think the last generation sips a lot of fuel compared to this generation and only came in the manual form, which was a turn off to most drivers. good to know the new one has a dsg gear box and at a similar price like the former, this would prove to be a good car. most likely a car that commands a good resale price compared to the former.
the previous Polo GTI was a great car. it is almost sinful to have a manual 1.8T in a tiny Polo. A real monster if you want it to be. The new is much more purposeful and balanced

karl_razlie

500 RPM
Apr 25, 2005
Puchong
camry is for someone baru mau kaya..but golf is for someone already sudah kaya and got a few luxury cars at house but need a toys just for ego...hehe

mag9556

2,000 RPM
Jul 11, 2006
Never drive never know...
Me still driving Kancil L5 (A) till today even house got bigger and more comfort car although Kancil aircond not so cool enough but still using it till today even title high at office but still driving it..... hehehhehe...

karl_razlie

500 RPM
Apr 25, 2005
Puchong
that bcoz u in love with 'kei' hehehe.. that called hobby...power but cute car...n cheap to maintain and upgrade...huhu

mag9556

2,000 RPM
Jul 11, 2006
that bcoz u in love with 'kei' hehehe.. that called hobby...power but cute car...n cheap to maintain and upgrade...huhu
if got the budget, no harm to get a Polo....
currently calculating wanna to buy Polo or not..hehehehe....:driver:

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Hey guys..
i'd like to ask how come my car max out around 150+ km/h only..
while other ppl can go 170+
my car seems to be reving high but the speed doesnt increase...
my friend told me need to remove something then only can max out the speed..
he said proton put it in so that u cannot go fast...
issit the plastic thing that when u press on the accelerator below that..?
or issit something inside the engine that needs to be removed?

thanks
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience