Evo 3 Alternator Issue

• See what others are reading now! Try Forums > Current Activity
  • Search function more powerful with google results! Try Search

pert

Known Member
Hi Sifus,

I would like to ask about evo 3 alternator. This year mine already kong 3x (today is the third time.)
:banghead::banghead:
Already check all the wiring and nothing wrong with it.
Wonder what will cause it.
What type of alternator is recommended ?
Also normally it's only 90amp type, heard evos using 110amp, is it true? Is it ok using recond rather than ori since ori very expensive.

Pls sifu, need ur advice or tips/tricks on this. Really sick with it already.

new ori evo3 alternator available?..

new ori evo3 alternator available?..

Not new bro, from halfcut but more expensive than recond one..
U face this issue b4 bro?

Normally with our type of engine ppl preferred use recond or frm halfcut?

i'm using 93t..alternator kong once, replaced it and prob solved..is gsr's alternator same with evo wan?..

i'm using 93t..alternator kong once, replaced it and prob solved..is gsr's alternator same with evo wan?..

Yes of cos i replace twice edy but today it's kong again now in workshop, again put in recond one.

Last time u change it to recond or buy from halfcut?

i think my mech bought from h/cut..hw much u bought?..price differ a lot between hc and recond?..

get frm h/cut straightaway la bro..better than keeps changing, waste more money and time..

get frm h/cut straightaway la bro..better than keeps changing, waste more money and time..

Last time ur how much it cost u?
It just because the warranty bro, halfcut 1 week - 1 month warranty, recond is 3 month.
Now i already vomit blood. :banghead::banghead:

Any other suggestion, idea or opinion on why mine very not long lasting.

i dun really remember cos it was few years ago, think ard 1xx-2xx..

well, i had a similar thing happened to me last time when i bought a set of HID..use than 1 month, ballast rosak, ok fine cos still got warranty, go bck to the shop and they replaced for me, 2 weeks later, ballast rosak again and i went bck to the shop and they replaced for me..Few weeks later same sh*t happened again, and went bck to get replacement..i remember it was 4-5times i went bck to get it replaced until i became fed up and bought another set at a diff shop..the new set is still functioning even after few years..

Lesson learned is dat maybe the shop ppl din actually replace a good one for u..Suspect only la..

Change mech only lo... Recon and halfcut de I will take recon de..
Coz recon inside all was new only the housing was old 1 only... At least they got gave warranty.

u could change the carbon brush inside the alternator....
bout rm50-60 if not mistaken...did u keep your old alternators?

I think is not the money issue. Is the pain of alternator kong on the road. I also very scared alternator kong while driving.

Agree with mines998 very painful if there is hot sun or heavily rain.. Fuiyo... Really out of my mind...

u could change the carbon brush inside the alternator....
bout rm50-60 if not mistaken...did u keep your old alternators?

can be change arr bro? after change can use back?
i got keep the old alternator..

---------- Post added at 09:50 AM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 09:44 AM ----------

I think is not the money issue. Is the pain of alternator kong on the road. I also very scared alternator kong while driving.

Ya bro.. my 1st time kong is at plus highway otw to KL from Jhr b4 Yong Peng area at 10pm.
Luckily, got free towing from my insurance company. :biggrin:
If not, koyak... towing + new alternator = :banghead:

Bro, seems like we are having the same problem.. mine after convert to RVR turbo,alternator also kong.. the original 90amp alternator that comes with the engine cannot last..only lasted 2 months den kong.. den change recond, one month later kong, change again recond, kong 2 weeks later.. now change to higher amp 120amp recond alternator.. but seems like the performance is dropping.. the voltage is dropping to 12v and 11.8 sometimes.. especially when idling.. i turn on all the electrical items, HID x2set, a/c on,radio on, headlights and spot light on.. den voltage will drop..
Den changed, battery, alternator wiring to battery, power charger.. but still the voltage kept on dropping to below 12v..

The only thing i observe is when start engine and drive, the voltage is there and sustained.. but later when the engine heated up after mins of driving, the voltage begins to drop.. i suspect maybe the alternator got to do with the heat from the turbo? Especially our alternator is vy near to the downpipe from the turbo, approx only 1 1/2" like that only.. because i change the exhaust piping, so the original exhaust cover i removed already.. did you change your piping and also remove that cover? Really headache.. :banghead::banghead:

Last edited:
I also have the same problem for voltage drop but I think that was normal while alternator heated the performance will drop so far my alternator not yet giving me problem after I change to re-con type 110amp or maybe I only on weekend.

I also have the same problem for voltage drop but I think that was normal while alternator heated the performance will drop so far my alternator not yet giving me problem after I change to re-con type 110amp or maybe I only on weekend.

In this case would it be better if isolate the heat or minimise the heat? Eg heat wrapping? But i heard it's bad for the pipes as in long term, it'll make your pipe crack especially at the welding points.. Bro your voltage drop till how many v?

l2s_turbo said:
Bro, seems like we are having the same problem.. mine after convert to RVR turbo,alternator also kong.. the original 90amp alternator that comes with the engine cannot last..only lasted 2 months den kong.. den change recond, one month later kong, change again recond, kong 2 weeks later.. now change to higher amp 120amp recond alternator.. but seems like the performance is dropping.. the voltage is dropping to 12v and 11.8 sometimes.. especially when idling.. i turn on all the electrical items, HID x2set, a/c on,radio on, headlights and spot light on.. den voltage will drop..
Den changed, battery, alternator wiring to battery, power charger.. but still the voltage kept on dropping to below 12v..

The only thing i observe is when start engine and drive, the voltage is there and sustained.. but later when the engine heated up after mins of driving, the voltage begins to drop.. i suspect maybe the alternator got to do with the heat from the turbo? Especially our alternator is vy near to the downpipe from the turbo, approx only 1 1/2" like that only.. because i change the exhaust piping, so the original exhaust cover i removed already.. did you change your piping and also remove that cover? Really headache.. :banghead::banghead:

The mech also got mention bcos of the heat but when i google it very less ppl having this issue.
That mech also did pull 1 big wire from the alternator to the batt terminal. He said this will make the alternator less work but still gave normal charging. Btw, i tot it's normal if the volt level drop n increase during on all electronic stuffs as head lamp, a/c, radio n those since it mean there is a electrical prosses running, but not sure.
Anyone can confirm this?

Due to alternator to close to my exhaust piping using cover will having a risk for short circuit. My battery already move to rear base on Apexi turbo timer reading as 13.5V during cold start if no aircon at 12.8V if aircon + headlamp is 12.6V according my experience if can transfer cold air direct to alternator the performance will be better. I recall during my car dyno we spray water to alternator the voltage maintain at 13.5V all the way.

A thread every 60 seconds

Search

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience
Top Bottom