Hello Guest! Log in or Sign up for a full experience & ad-free!

WTA DIY port and polish

• See what others are reading now! Try Forums > Current Activity
  • Search function more powerful with google results! Try Search

scottwrx

500 RPM
dear all sifus,

i would like to ask if any of u sifus mind to share diy port n polish tips? coz i would like to learn more about this, planning to do that when open my engine,

of possible plz share wif me

a. benefit of port?
b. benefit of polish?
c. what is the 3 angle valve job?
d. can diy port n polish? coz my perception of port n polish is use air gun with brush like head and skim the carbon off to make the breathing better.. hehe..

coz i read from bill sherwood page, advice not to waste money on port and polish, so need to know those who has done the p&p

appreciate all the input..

thanx a lot bros!!

Last edited:
oi scot, your car fast already maaa, no need pnp :rofl:

oi scot, your car fast already maaa, no need pnp :rofl:

fast? ur car also fast mah.. last time test ur car same as mine what..... juz wanna know the benefit of pnp only, and if can diy even better, can save money while learn new things mah... muahahaha...

sifus.. plzzzzzzzz help.....

good2....u learn 1st n then diy at your car. if succesful u can diy at my car plak ok?hahah

Proper porting and polishing will be able to create a slight swirl in the airflow into your combustion chamber, like a vortex effect, normally you want to polish the inlet port, flatten and smoothen any cylinder head casting flaws that will cause air turbulence.

Just enlarging the inlet port is not the answer, it's the angle of the port. The valve guides should be pump out for a good port and polish job and I have seen some that go as far as to cut the valve guides.

3 or 5 angle valve job will allow smoother air flow when the valves are open and minimize the chance of the air/fuel mixture of forming fuel droplets around the rim of the valves

To remove the carbon is decarbonizing. You will "remove" metal when porting. need short and long porting tools, then use sandpaper polishing tools to smoothen, they're like lollipop candy shape

for N/A cars, personally, I can hardly feel the improvement, maybe must include improvement to the throttle body, inlet manifold, plenum and runners. because if you port and polish the inlet opening on the cylinder head to the gasket size, the inlet manifold side must be done as well.

for F/I, well there are other and simpler things you can do to get the extra air into the chamber.

I think for 20V BT, there's no real gain for porting... but polishing helps a little as the factory in/ext ports are a little rough.
For 20V SVT, it requires some p&p but its best to get it done on proper flowbench. I've heard many p&p jobs gone bad... besides, you'll also need to port match the intake manifold and exhaust manifold for optimum flow. No point having a bigger in/ext head when the in/ext manifolds are of the original size and you need to match the ports with the gaskets as well.

Some info for further reading:
http://www.sa-motorsports.com/diyport.aspx
http://www.aircooledtech.com/port_polish/

Top Bottom