World famous tuner Gemballa closes its doors after owner/founder goes missing

keshy

500 RPM
Dec 12, 2007

We reported in early February that the founder of famous tuner Gemballa has gone missing in South Africa and now over three months later, Uwe Gemballa has yet to be found. His disappearance has now ultimately resulted in the worst, Gemballa, the tuning company is shutting down.

Gemballa is a world renowned tuner of supercars but went from earning €16.2m in 2007 to €8m in 2009. While this is understandable, given that the global economic recession has taken its toll on many industries, it appears that "dubious" transactions also put added strain on the company. By January 2010, fearing collapse was imminent, Uwe decided to seek out investors in Dubai and South Africa.

On February 8th, Uwe arrived in Johannesburg for a two-day business trip. On the evening of February 9th, Uwe called his son and told him he had an accident and desperately needed one million dollars. It was the last time he was heard from.

No one really knows what happened to Uwe Gemballa but speculation is rampant, citing everything from a planned disappearance to a ransom plot gone awry, but police believe Uwe fell victim to a crime.

The disappearance of Uwe and the closing of his company has left a hole in the tuning world. Gemballa is renowned for creating some power monsters but some believe Gemballa was best known for producing the Carrera GT based €300,000+ Mirage GT Matt Edition.

Source: World Car Fans

The Marketplace Top Posts

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

i'm using L2 engine. recently i installed rhf4,adj fuel regulator,bigger fuel pump,toyota injectors,2 inch downpipe with internal dumpipe n safc 5 button. others are stock. what is the suitable size for my exhaust pipe? i plan to follow the original bend. do the mid silencer compulsary?
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience