What fuse rating to use for power wire?

Luthaine

Aug 13, 2007
Dear all members,
I have a 2X20A 800W 4 channel amp and I'm wondering what fuse rating should I use for my power wire of 8 gauge. Would 60A be too much?

renxun

1,000 RPM
Jul 4, 2006
60A is ok and is the most common fuse rating available in the market. you could go till 90A or 100A but dont go anything higher. im not sure what is your power rating... but i tried b4 60A with a 1250rms monoblock....cannot tahan, fius putus at half the power.

Luthaine

Aug 13, 2007
Thanks, will fit in the system this weekend. Hopefully I won't blow anything up.

craziechild

500 RPM
May 11, 2005
Sarawak
the main fuse should be the total of your fuse rating for all your amps...

say you hav two amps... 1st total fuse rating 40A then another monoblock 4x20A... then your main fuse would be 120A...

if you use only 60A on the same system and the fuse didnt blow out... then theoritically your amp is over rated...

cheers...

Luthaine

Aug 13, 2007
Thanks craziechild and cacin. You guys been alot of help.
I think I'll try out with the 8 gauge wire for the time being, move to 4 gauge with 100A rating fuse later if needed.

Last edited:

Zenn

2,000 RPM
Jul 12, 2005
KL
your in line fuse should same or as close as your amp's fuse, dont worry about the wire gauge...

if u put 60A for a 40A amp, there wont be any protection, coz anything more than 40A goes to the amp, the amp's fuse goes first, the inline fuse doesnt do its job, since 60A is not breached...

Luthaine

Aug 13, 2007
I see, guess I'll get one 40A fuse today. But why does my amp does it in 2X20A fuse? Why not just use one 40A fuse?

Kippo

Known Member
Mar 5, 2005
please note that the fuse on the power cable has nothing to do with amplifier protection (that is the job of the amp on-board fuse).
The fuse on the power cable is mainly to avoid fire in the car should the insulation is damaged and it pulled so much current that it can burn the car. As a rule of thumb, use fuse that is slightly more than your amplifiers total current draw. If you do not have the information then make it slightly above the total sum of fuses on the amps.

Zenn

2,000 RPM
Jul 12, 2005
KL
thats totally up to manufacturer, maybe depend on their PCB design, etc...

for your 8awg wire, the max u can go with 40A is 22ft or 6m, so its still ok la, only i advise u straight away get 4awg, in case u want to add another amp, or change to more powerful amp in the future, so dont have to tarik wire twice..

Car Amplifiers Cable Gauge Chart

Luthaine

Aug 13, 2007
Finally I've gotten it setup perfectly. Took about 4 hours to do it, remove the seat and so on. The 8 gauge wire works alright with the 60A inline fuse.

I've yet to get a 40A inline fuse yet. I know, I know, I'm pushing my luck. I'll get it tomorrow. Now I just need to spend more time tuning it to sound good. Any ideas here?

Adeen

2,000 RPM
Apr 28, 2006
kl
hrmmmm....iszit neccessary to put fuse before the battery...??
since i'm not using any...just straight from battery to amp...

cacin

1,000 RPM
Mar 9, 2005
Penang
Visit site
Finally I've gotten it setup perfectly. Took about 4 hours to do it, remove the seat and so on. The 8 gauge wire works alright with the 60A inline fuse.

I've yet to get a 40A inline fuse yet. I know, I know, I'm pushing my luck. I'll get it tomorrow. Now I just need to spend more time tuning it to sound good. Any ideas here?
As per what Bro Kippo has mentioned, the fuse near your battery is to protect the whole car from electrical fire. Therefore, the proper fuse/cable size must be correct. the amp fuse should be the one protecting the amp. The same case with HU, they also have fuses to protect the equipment.
The way the main fuse protects you is if there were a short in the main power line, the battery will be shorted, without the fuse, a lot of current will flow through the cable an eventually melt the insulator. The high current also release a lot of heat, hence, there is risk in fire. A 60A fuse can be used as long as your cable (length/size) can handle that 60A current. By using a 40A fuse, you'll need to change it again when/if you upgrade you amps. So, if you have plans for upgrade or to be flexible, use the biggest wire gauge you can afford. One time do the wire from battery to distribution block. Then any amp can be installed later through the distribution block.
A no brand 4 gauge wire cost around RM12 per meter in Penang (HW shop). So, try look around in KL, you should have more choices :D

It is necessary for your own safety and your car's safety. I accidentally blown a fuse when I DIY install my amp. the fuse was 60A. If there was no fuse, I might have cause an electircal fire. When the fuse blows, it is not like your 13A fuse (only see the string burn). This is more like the fuse really blows :P. So, to protect your car, yourself, your equipment and your loved ones, install a fuse between your battery and amp/s.

cacin

1,000 RPM
Mar 9, 2005
Penang
Visit site

As per what Bro Kippo has mentioned, the fuse near your battery is to protect the whole car from electrical fire. Therefore, the proper fuse/cable size must be correct. the amp fuse should be the one protecting the amp. The same case with HU, they also have fuses to protect the equipment.
The way the main fuse protects you is if there were a short in the main power line, the battery will be shorted, without the fuse, a lot of current will flow through the cable an eventually melt the insulator. The high current also release a lot of heat, hence, there is risk in fire. A 60A fuse can be used as long as your cable (length/size) can handle that 60A current. By using a 40A fuse, you'll need to change it again when/if you upgrade you amps. So, if you have plans for upgrade or to be flexible, use the biggest wire gauge you can afford. One time do the wire from battery to distribution block. Then any amp can be installed later through the distribution block.
A no brand 4 gauge wire cost around RM12 per meter in Penang (HW shop). So, try look around in KL, you should have more choices :D

It is necessary for your own safety and your car's safety. I accidentally blown a fuse when I DIY install my amp. the fuse was 60A. If there was no fuse, I might have cause an electircal fire. When the fuse blows, it is not like your 13A fuse (only see the string burn). This is more like the fuse really blows :P. So, to protect your car, yourself, your equipment and your loved ones, install a fuse between your battery and amp/s.

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

i wanna change my rear drum brake to disc brake,anyone can help me coz i want to know the car model that suit my car instead of using the same model that come with the rear disc brake....or anyone who knows any workshop that can do this mod to my car..mine is vios...pls bro..:nurse:
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience