What are you driving now?

hon_cs

Known Member
Jan 23, 2004
Ipoh
Seems like these high revving engines like 4A-GE, 4G92 MIVEC, B16A/B16B all suffer from weak low end. But how weak is weak? Are they even weaker than engines like 4G15, 4A-FE on low end?

Oh, so you are staying in KL. Probably that is why I did not notice your A31.

Is it the post about converted car chassis vs performance chassis?
If compare to satria 1.6 single cam for sure this car has better low end. I think toyota noticed that and they came out with 6spd combo with re-tuned ecu on the later levin ae111.

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
Jun 13, 2012
Ipoh
Maybe because Gear ratio?:hmmmm:
The drag battle went up to speed like 140kmh for Vios but still Wira taking lead. I din't know my car is that powerful. But the one on drag is using VDO 4G15 while mine is MMC.

This is the video. This guy often do test run, comparing his Vios manual with other stock car. Trying to prove manual is more powerful, occasionally. Even if you don't understand mandarin, just look at the drag part. :biggrin:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AXtPBWnvr_g

If compare to satria 1.6 single cam for sure this car has better low end. I think toyota noticed that and they came out with 6spd combo with re-tuned ecu on the later levin ae111.
Eh, that means the low end torque is not so bad isn't it? Since you say low end is better than Satria 1.6 SOHC. Even my Wira 1.5 SOHC feels like I have sufficient low end.

Your AE101 is using 5 or 6 speed gearbox?

g4i8y0t

1,000 RPM
Aug 5, 2010
Kedah
Is Myvi 1.5 that powerful?

Few days ago, I saw a drag video between Vios manual and Wira 4G15 manual. Vios totally can't take lead even when the 1NZ-FE had 17hp more than 4G15. :confused::confused::confused:
Not that powerful actually, but you know lah myvi driver... well.. :biggrin:

g4i8y0t

1,000 RPM
Aug 5, 2010
Kedah
My 'garage' has 2 rides at the moment.

1. Proton Suprima S

It's the primary car in my family. Bought it in late 2013. Use it for balik kampung and other long distance trips. Usually my wife drives this car to buy groceries etc. Handles very well and has very good torque. Safety is top notch 5-star ANCAP. The CVT gearbox is very relaxed but boring. Fuel consumption is good. Build quality is NOT so good. I've claimed many parts under warranty from Proton. The engine mountings were replaced twice and now the dash starts to vibrate again on cold start. The gearbox also jerks once in a while nowadays. Some foam has come out of the aircond vent. Oh, not to mention the infamous oil cooler hose (OCH) nightmare faced by CFE engine users. :biggrin: Google that up if you want to know more.

2. Civic EK

This is the second car, manufactured in 1997 according to the registration card. Bought it from a bank auction in 2009. The original D16Y7 (M) engine died after it overheated. The overhaul job failed to save it. I replaced the powerplant with a B16A (M) and that broke my savings :banghead: ...but worth it. I was lucky to get this halfcut engine, which has only 67,000km on the odometer. Never had any major issue since that. Many wear and tear parts were replaced since owning this car, as to be expected of a 20 year-old vehicle. The suspension was upgraded to EK9 Type-R shocks and springs. Other handling upgrades such as rear anti-roll bar, stiff rings and some reinforcement bars were installed. The only go faster bits I put on the car are 4-2-1 exhaust header and a voltage stabilizer which I made myself. Other than that, the car is mostly in stock condition. I do most of the simple repair and replacement work myself on weekends, learning through internet forums and youtube. My wife often nags about me spending a lot of time on the car. I never let her drive this one though, hehe. I can see myself keeping this kereta buruk for years to come, banging through the gears on some winding roads. Nothing beats driving a proper manual car. :driver:

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
Jun 13, 2012
Ipoh

1. Proton Suprima S

It's the primary car in my family. Bought it in late 2013. Use it for balik kampung and other long distance trips. Usually my wife drives this car to buy groceries etc. Handles very well and has very good torque. Safety is top notch 5-star ANCAP. The CVT gearbox is very relaxed but boring. Fuel consumption is good. Build quality is NOT so good. I've claimed many parts under warranty from Proton. The engine mountings were replaced twice and now the dash starts to vibrate again on cold start. The gearbox also jerks once in a while nowadays. Some foam has come out of the aircond vent. Oh, not to mention the infamous oil cooler hose (OCH) nightmare faced by CFE engine users. :biggrin: Google that up if you want to know more.

2. Civic EK

This is the second car, manufactured in 1997 according to the registration card. Bought it from a bank auction in 2009. The original D16Y7 (M) engine died after it overheated. The overhaul job failed to save it. I replaced the powerplant with a B16A (M) and that broke my savings :banghead: ...but worth it. I was lucky to get this halfcut engine, which has only 67,000km on the odometer. Never had any major issue since that. Many wear and tear parts were replaced since owning this car, as to be expected of a 20 year-old vehicle. The suspension was upgraded to EK9 Type-R shocks and springs. Other handling upgrades such as rear anti-roll bar, stiff rings and some reinforcement bars were installed. The only go faster bits I put on the car are 4-2-1 exhaust header and a voltage stabilizer which I made myself. Other than that, the car is mostly in stock condition. I do most of the simple repair and replacement work myself on weekends, learning through internet forums and youtube. My wife often nags about me spending a lot of time on the car. I never let her drive this one though, hehe. I can see myself keeping this kereta buruk for years to come, banging through the gears on some winding roads. Nothing beats driving a proper manual car. :driver:
Nice cars that you own. From your description, the quality of Suprima S seems questionable. My Wira is much older but did not face those kind of problems that you faced in your car.

Your EK looks like a nice car. Correct me if I am wrong, EK is using double wishbone suspension on all four sides right?

One thing I am interested to know is, FC comparison between Suprima S and your Civic. 1.6 NA performance engine VS 1.6 turbocharged engine.

g4i8y0t

1,000 RPM
Aug 5, 2010
Kedah
EK has double wishbones at the front only. It uses multi-link at the rear. FC of Suprima is about 15-20% higher than EK.

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
Jun 13, 2012
Ipoh
driver skills....:driver:
Even if the driving skill of Wira owner is better than Vios owner, Vios should be able to catch up if Vios's engine is more powerful. :confused:

EK has double wishbones at the front only. It uses multi-link at the rear. FC of Suprima is about 15-20% higher than EK.
Oh, all these while I thought Civic EF, EG, EK are using double wishbone on all four.

Although the Suprima is using a newer engine paired with an efficient gearbox which is CVT, it still gives poorer FC than a 20 year old design B16A performance engine. :banghead:

turbo mahhh....street driving sure get bad fc. :biggrin:
Ur civic rays wheel..hmm nice
This shows that even when B16A produces more horse power than Proton CFE engine, B16A still gives better FC. :rofl:

Edit : Just noticed that you got over 1k posts. Congratulations. :biggrin:

Last edited:

g4i8y0t

1,000 RPM
Aug 5, 2010
Kedah
Yup, most turbocharged engine nowadays use direct injection. CFE engine still uses conventional multi-point injection. Its compression ratio also is a bit low compared to other turbocharged engines nowadays at only 8.9:1. I guess this explains why it uses more fuel when compared to higher output NA engines like the B16A. If not for the CVT gearbox it would probably get heavier FC. However, it's not that bad lah, still considered acceptable. By the way, it weights about 1400kg without passanger, compared to about 1130kg for the EK.

vr2turbo

((( God Level 30,000 RPM )))
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya

1. Proton Suprima S

Looks like proton is still proton quality......lol

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
Jun 13, 2012
Ipoh
Yup, most turbocharged engine nowadays use direct injection. CFE engine still uses conventional multi-point injection. Its compression ratio also is a bit low compared to other turbocharged engines nowadays at only 8.9:1. I guess this explains why it uses more fuel when compared to higher output NA engines like the B16A. If not for the CVT gearbox it would probably get heavier FC. However, it's not that bad lah, still considered acceptable. By the way, it weights about 1400kg without passanger, compared to about 1130kg for the EK.
Output is also relatively low for a 1.6 litre turbocharged engine. But I guess if they increased the boost to increase power, FC will become even worse. Anyway, Proton's Campro engine is known for bad FC. Turbo + Campro sounds like a bad combination for FC. :banghead:

I wonder how does this engine FC fares against the 4B11 Mitsubishi engine in Inspira 2.0.

vr2turbo

((( God Level 30,000 RPM )))
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
If not mistaken, Like the Exora the turbo was tuned to increase torque not power......

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Hi, my company is doing a car research on 25th-26th Aug in Klang Valley on current CABRIOLET, COUPE, ROADSTER owner, we are targeting new car owner of

MAZDA MX5 (Car owner since year 2008 till present)

(Car owner since August 2009 till present)
PEUGEOT RCZ COUPE
VOLKSWAGEN SCIROCCO
VOLKSWAGEN EOS CC
AUDI TT
MINI (all versions except CLUBMAN)
PEUGEOT 308CC
RENAULT MEGANE CABRIO COUPE
SUBARU WRX STI
NISSAN GT-R
NISSAN SKYLINE...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience