Turbocharging in Diesel Cars

• See what others are reading now! Try Forums > Current Activity
  • Search function more powerful with google results! Try Search

lancerfreak86

Known Member
Dec 5, 2003
sabah, malaysia
Visit site
erm..i wonder y izzit turbocharging in diesel cars create probs?? anyone knows wat's de prob?? :huh: coz my dad's Trooper is turbocharged n it has no prob in it...

acbc

4,000 RPM
Jan 9, 2004
KD
Nope... most diesel engines are turbo-charged anyway... u name it, from cars, trucks, buses n even SUVs.

lancerfreak86

Known Member
Dec 5, 2003
sabah, malaysia
Visit site
well, i read de newspaper...they talk about turbocharging...n they said dat turbocharging in diesel cars may cause some probs...wat's de prob anyway.... :huh: i dun really get it...

acbc

4,000 RPM
Jan 9, 2004
KD
Maybe they talked about turbo-charging NA diesel engines? If so, same problem also arise from petrol engines as well.

BabyGodzillaGTi-R

Known Member
Nov 24, 2003
Kuala Lumpur
Visit site
Actually what problems is it that u're encountering?
Probably the problem u're referring to is the high sulphur content in our local diesel. This screws up the fueling system in the long run is probably what worries many people. Together with the introduction of common-rail which adds the fear of increase wear with the sulphur content.
As for turbocharging NA diesel engines, i've experienced after doing to my Toyota Hilux 2.8 3L diesel engine, it tends to run slightly hotter than usual. I guess the problem is that the compression ratio is still stock. Compression ratio for most diesel cars are roughly around 18:1 to 20:1.
Compared to most typical petrol car of around 9:1.

My 2 cents

TE27levin

Known Member
Nov 23, 2003
Visit site
i dun think have a problem le.. ford ranger run more then 20:1 compression ratio le.
sabahan make really good turboed diesel engine that able to smoke vtec and 4G61. they really expert in isuzu D-turbo engine.
last month in borneo drag race, there are few heavy modded vtecs dragster testing their car on the track. suddenly come a Sabah plate hilux chellenging them, damn in 400m that diesel engine really smoke them. :lol:

SKY999

Known Member
Nov 15, 2003
kch
at 1st i heard got race for diesel group rite?how come din c they playing ?? :rolleyes:

lancerfreak86

Known Member
Dec 5, 2003
sabah, malaysia
Visit site
oo....ok..i'll try 2 refer to de newspaper n tell u guys wat will happen to de turbocharged diesel car....but as for my dad's Isuzu Trooper, it seems like there's no prob in it...my dad had been driving it for 10 years oredi....now, de car still working well...just dat lost a bit of power lo coz my dad didn't maintain de engine...all i know is my dad's car still can smoke out kancil...hehe...funny :D

acbc

4,000 RPM
Jan 9, 2004
KD
Damn... I still prefer my dad's Toyota Landcruiser VX Limited... hehehe, 4.2L turbo-charged diesel - boost kicked in at 1600 RPM - power but a lot of black smoke (good business for JPJ)... :P

actuator_bypass

Known Member
Sep 11, 2004
My mom citreon Xantia 1.9 Turbo Diesel.. and using TD04L twin blade..

The faster you go in short period the higher the temp go, but If the speed increase gradually the temperature maintain..

Xantia have built-in auto turbo timer where the sensor read from water temperature sensor.. So the longest time that my mom Xantia ever count down is about 45 sec.. I'm not dare to install any electronic gadget, and not the electronic hydraulic system too.

How about ford ranger?? Do the FORD ranger have TT too??

vestax

1,500 RPM
Nov 14, 2003
Damansara Heigh
www.fivio.com
Originally posted by BabyGodzillaGTi-R@Oct 14 2004, 11:00
Actually what problems is it that u're encountering?
Probably the problem u're referring to is the high sulphur content in our local diesel. This screws up the fueling system in the long run is probably what worries many people. Together with the introduction of common-rail which adds the fear of increase wear with the sulphur content.
As for turbocharging NA diesel engines, i've experienced after doing to my Toyota Hilux 2.8 3L diesel engine, it tends to run slightly hotter than usual. I guess the problem is that the compression ratio is still stock. Compression ratio for most diesel cars are roughly around 18:1 to 20:1.
Compared to most typical petrol car of around 9:1.

My 2 cents
wah god of 4 x 4 has arrived , woi you got lubang for 2.0 turbo diesel engine ?. my rocky engine really wanna k.o aready . :lol:

lancerfreak86

Known Member
Dec 5, 2003
sabah, malaysia
Visit site
ya...in de newspaper, they said dat if u speed ur car in a short time, de temp will rise very fast...n make de car lose power....

boggysv

2,000 RPM
Sep 7, 2004
power loss is crappy...but true.
my dad and i usually drive down to JB, and he always drive the first half.
when it is my turn, even with full pedal, i can only reach -20 of his speed at best.

boggysv

2,000 RPM
Sep 7, 2004
Originally posted by TE27levin@Oct 14 2004, 12:07
last month in borneo drag race, there are few heavy modded vtecs dragster testing their car on the track. suddenly come a Sabah plate hilux chellenging them, damn in 400m that diesel engine really smoke them. :lol:
wah!!, hebat, got details of his HILUX?

BabyGodzillaGTi-R

Known Member
Nov 24, 2003
Kuala Lumpur
Visit site
Hey acbc,
i assume u're living in East Malaysia?
Anyway u guys living over there, so lucky u can affoard to have cheap road tax on diesel.
If not i want a 1KZ TE turbo diesel for my Hilux and Rocky.
I really wonder how to really get more oomph on a Diesel turbo????????

Woi Vestax, when u wanna go off roading or be my co driver.
Still waiting for your reply dude. PM your phone number.
Btw i dont have any jalan lah.... Maybe u have lah.
Anyway where got 2 litre turbo diesel? Original Rocky is a 2.8 litre......

vestax

1,500 RPM
Nov 14, 2003
Damansara Heigh
www.fivio.com
ori rocky 2.8 litre ? sure or not how come mine 2.0 only , road tax also RM 395 ++ . anyway i pm you aready . go offroad ? after raya la , now puasa month cannot bai . :lol:

20vturbo

500 RPM
Nov 19, 2003
Sarawak
www.club4ag.com
i have lots of pic of east malaysia modded hilux..got one hilux with persplex window and front mount intercooler..damn the waste pipe sound so nice!! but too bad not so many people like 4x4 mod for drag...

Esky

Known Member
Nov 27, 2003
Do the East M'sia 4x4 enthusiasts have any websites on their modded rides?

20vturbo

500 RPM
Nov 19, 2003
Sarawak
www.club4ag.com
i don't think so...but last time news strait times did cover about the sabah turbo king...4x4..heheh.but yeah,remember modded hilux from sabah, if comes to the battle ground, everyone takut woo..even modded vtecs kalah. thailand also play 4x4 right? i've heard they got fast diesel too..wait lah,i post the pic of a few modded hilux and 4x4..

A Post Every 5 Mins

Hi guys,

Anyone got any eperience on the workshops in Singapore? I have a very bad one with a reknown one!!

They will try to pull a fast one on you! So, be careful !!

Cheers. :banghead::mad:
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience