Hello Guest! Log in or Sign up for a full experience & ad-free!

Turbocharging a VTEC

• See what others are reading now! Try Forums > Current Activity
  • Search function more powerful with google results! Try Search

SA6YEuro

500 RPM
Hi guys n sifus of the forced induction!!

Can ask wats usually the recommendation?? Bolt on turbo or super charging?? Ohya, its 4 a B series vtec......

Wat needs 2 b changed? (i heard a lot but it would b nice 2 know in details....)

N wat kinda cost 2 expect oso?? Please do share ur expertise n experience......

Wanna 2 start doin my research n save up the $$..... hehehe

Thanx a lot guys.....:rolleyes:

Wah ... so fast wanna go to the dark side!!

I actually, typed a long long return but lost it (dammit) .. Call me for details. In office now :)

this is what i know

vtec turbo need to pay attention to.... MAP sensor..ECU..fuel controller device..bigger injector..bigger capacity fuel pump.. adj. fuel regulator..compression ratio matter and of cos the turbo kit, want more power...need to change the NA cam to Turbo cam. turbo need to realease exhaust gas more and u need more duration on exhaust cam

anything i miss out ?

I'm running a B16A on an EF with bolt on turbo. I'm using Toyota Sprinter supercharger pistons (4agze) and custom manifold. Using additional injectors to compensate for petrol. Bought an e-manage but has yet to get it installed. Runs pretty ok but i miss the 'v-tec' sound.

The easier way is running with CRVtec, with the inherent low compression will able to boost up to 0.8bar w/o rebuilt. I running mine with Jackson Racing Supercharger.

The engine management I used was the stock EG6 ECU P28/P30, yes the rechipped stock ECU able to run boost up to 2.0bar with the original Civic map sensor it able to read boost up to 1.5bar. This is the most effective setup I used and save me a huge money on force induction mod.I live in Kulai near JB, I can help you on this if you want FOC. Although you also can go for another way like E-manage/Unichip but ready to pay another RM1500.

The injector I used is from Mit VR4 450cc injector. This injector good for 300hp setup and easy to get in Malaysia.

1.Hybric engine, so no need spend money on piston & conrod.===>RM 900
2.Rechipped P28/P30 ECU, use stock map sensor..====> RM 300
3.4 X Mit VR4 injector + 4 X 10ohm/10W resistor..====> RM 220

***If want me help to tune for you,will need to buy WBO2 sensor ==> RM200

Done..!!

With this basic things you will able to boost up to 0.8bar....
alex

At low'ish boost pressure, I guess you shouldn't be worrying too much about cylinder walking so long as you have your ignition trims and fuel mixtures correct although it would be nice to have some sort of "block guard" which basically closes up the upper deck of the cylinder block for that extra headroom for insurance.

If you're after higher boost levels(ie more power), there's a lot more attention needed to the cylinder block preparation ie more money too.:-)

Id say follow EK986's route.

Last edited:
EK986 said:
The easier way is running with CRVtec, with the inherent low compression will able to boost up to 0.8bar w/o rebuilt. I running mine with Jackson Racing Supercharger.

The engine management I used was the stock EG6 ECU P28/P30, yes the rechipped stock ECU able to run boost up to 2.0bar with the original Civic map sensor it able to read boost up to 1.5bar. This is the most effective setup I used and save me a huge money on force induction mod.I live in Kulai near JB, I can help you on this if you want FOC. Although you also can go for another way like E-manage/Unichip but ready to pay another RM1500.

The injector I used is from Mit VR4 450cc injector. This injector good for 300hp setup and easy to get in Malaysia.

1.Hybric engine, so no need spend money on piston & conrod.===>RM 900
2.Rechipped P28/P30 ECU, use stock map sensor..====> RM 300
3.4 X Mit VR4 injector + 4 X 10ohm/10W resistor..====> RM 220

***If want me help to tune for you,will need to buy WBO2 sensor ==> RM200

Done..!!

With this basic things you will able to boost up to 0.8bar....
alex

how to make the stock map sensor to detect boost???
last time i've tried this way...but it just not able to detect positive boost.
how did ur mechanic use the stock map sensor to detect positive boost?? wanna learn more :)
thanks

no offense... but i think it defeats the purpose of having a honda vtec powerplant if u wanna turbo charge it...???

jes my personal 2 cents ;)

my

[
vtec.jpg

will always remain NA ;)

ya.. i've personally seen a EG vtec with 380 bhp... i didnt say it's slow, i say it defeats the purpose...

BLaCkHoWLiNG said:
ya.. i've personally seen a EG vtec with 380 bhp... i didnt say it's slow, i say it defeats the purpose...
seen the dude with a 540bhp ek2door........damn fast but always got gearbox,clutch and driveshft..problem......even my buddy with his prelude2.2 turbo which makes around 620bhp.....always has drivtrain problem.....until he got his drive shaft from the us....but if you dont stress the drivtrain all will be good..........

BLaCkHoWLiNG said:
wah.. h22a got 620hp ah... uwahh....
that wan also near the limit ithink for h22a......... kar not daily driver.....if i not mistaken vazmaz also use to have a h22a accordeurotyper turboed and nos...engine fitted in an civic.eg...which use to run in sepang drag.....btw my buddy car was partialy done up at rmd jb....

antonio said:
heheiehieh...kenapa tak percaya ker???

ahahhaa.. when i tell pple my car is only 280bhp also tak da orang nak caya...celaka tul!.... so biasala... (translation : when i tell pple my car is 280bhp
no one believes... !)

akimoto said:
how to make the stock map sensor to detect boost???
last time i've tried this way...but it just not able to detect positive boost.
how did ur mechanic use the stock map sensor to detect positive boost?? wanna learn more :)
thanks

Actually is not modify the map sensor, for Honda map sensor inherently it can read boost up to 1.5 bar, only things is your ECU cant read/accept anything above 0 that is positive pressure(due to NA engine for normal operation is always under 0, negative pressure). The fuel/ignition map in ECU only configure below 0 range, anything above Zero will give u an Error Code...(map sensor fault)...The ans is if u want to read boost with stock map sensor u have to change your fuel/ignition map, to tell your engine what to do when positive pressure happen(how much fuel to flow/what igition timing at)

What the purpose you want to read boost...??

alex

huuhuu sounds like u r very familiar with vtec turbo..and i have 1 noob question here.

EK986 : u said that stock b16a map sensor can read boost right ? so what is the voltage ? as what i know, stock 2bar map sensor (most production turbo car) can read until 1bar boost..above that is boost cut ! boost cut only happens when the map sensor read 1bar boost and the voltage signal is 5.0volt (around that la) then the map sensor will send the 5.0volt signal to ecu and boost cut occur.

now b16a is an NA engine..suppose to have 1 bar map sensor that dun read boost. u said if we alter the ecu then the ecu will still send signal to injector to squirt fuel when it read boost...yeah i know that. now what about map sensor ? after 0bar, it should be more that 5.0volt signal is it ? what about when u boost ur car to 1bar boost ? what's the signal then ? 10.0volt ??

I agree with Blackie. DOHC VTEC will not serve its purpose anymore if you want to turbocharged it. A 300whp Civic can only go straight. Handling & cornering will be down the drain. Most ppl here have their VTECs turboed is for the Drag Racing. 600whp B18 daily driven can easily be achieve but you need to strengthen almost every moving parts in ur engine. A 1000whp B18C has been made. Everything is possible but it's just about the purpose.

For those who like to take a look...here's the link for Turbo-Honda
http://www.homemadeturbo.com/turbo_projects/

Last edited:
EK986 said:
Honda map sensor inherently it can read boost up to 1.5 bar,

Very interesting.

I wonder if Honda map sensors can be used for MAP metering on EMS?

Top Bottom