Turbocharging my 4G93P

magixk

Known Member
Oct 6, 2006
Hi bros,

Recently I had enough of my NA-ed 4G93P engine. I want to add a turbocharger to it.

Please don't mind my noob-ness, but the questions are, what turbocharger to get?

Do I need a waste-gate?

Also, if the inter-cooler is important, should I get a really good one? (more expensive :( )

Do I have to throw away my old 4-2-1 extractor?

My car is auto, I don't plan to change it to a manual transmission, so I should probably just install a not very high end turbocharger?

I heard that installing this will actually improve my fuel efficiency in city driving as the turbocharger, if not boosted, will allow the fuel in my engine to burn fully, is this true?

Is it true that if I install a cheap turbocharger, it might actually make my car's HP go down if not boosted? Because of the crappy turbocharger's fan resisting exhaust gas from flowing out of my engine.

Sorry for asking so much noob Qs, I hope all the sensei, guru and professor here can help me out!

Thanks! :burnout:

jinkl

4,000 RPM
May 22, 2004
Kuala Lumpur
Hi bros,

Recently I had enough of my NA-ed 4G93P engine. I want to add a turbocharger to it.

Please don't mind my noob-ness, but the questions are, what turbocharger to get?

Do I need a waste-gate?

Also, if the inter-cooler is important, should I get a really good one? (more expensive :( )

Do I have to throw away my old 4-2-1 extractor?

My car is auto, I don't plan to change it to a manual transmission, so I should probably just install a not very high end turbocharger?

I heard that installing this will actually improve my fuel efficiency in city driving as the turbocharger, if not boosted, will allow the fuel in my engine to burn fully, is this true?

Is it true that if I install a cheap turbocharger, it might actually make my car's HP go down if not boosted? Because of the crappy turbocharger's fan resisting exhaust gas from flowing out of my engine.

Sorry for asking so much noob Qs, I hope all the sensei, guru and professor here can help me out!

first u have to visit howstuffworks turbocharger , google that
then the rest is ur how ur money spent, it will cost from about 3k to 30k or even 300k

magixk

Known Member
Oct 6, 2006
Installing a turbocharger for city driving, is that a good idea even?

xinghonh

1,000 RPM
Aug 25, 2006
i turbo charged my 4g93p
and even till now prob still haven settle yet...
spend omost 8-9k up 2 date aredi
so think b4 u act

magixk

Known Member
Oct 6, 2006
i turbo charged my 4g93p
and even till now prob still haven settle yet...
spend omost 8-9k up 2 date aredi
so think b4 u act

Bro, could you elaborate a bit of what you issues you faced? You're the pioneer so I hope you can share your stories with us all!

FVel

500 RPM
Feb 5, 2007
Xinghonh,

What was the problem, specifically ? Asking on behalf of my friend.

Last edited:

Trinityblood

3,000 RPM
Nov 10, 2007
last time people cucuk me also to bolt on my 93p...luckily i didnt.if u had enough budjet go for 4g93t gsr (210) then u will have a real turbo...some more ur engine got value dude...juzt sell it.

clanzkiller

1,000 RPM
Oct 31, 2006
Hi bros,

Please don't mind my noob-ness, but the questions are, what turbocharger to get? ---> is depends on wat power u wan...

Do I need a waste-gate? --->tis is optional or additional choice..is not neccessary to install a wastegate on a turbochaging engine...and beside your car is auto transmission,i don think the effect gonna be as top as manual transmission..

Also, if the inter-cooler is important, should I get a really good one? (more expensive :( ) ---> intercooler is important and can say is a must...explanation gona be very long...go search for it at anywer to get a better explanation..lol..just direct answer on your question...more expensive intercooler doesn't mean it is good one,or indeed it is...but u have to find an intercooler tat suit your engine..not too big not too small,perfect size for your engine so tat u can have better respond and performance...if for BOT,low budjet can go for standard gsr ic,or maybe vr4,or else evo 3...

Do I have to throw away my old 4-2-1 extractor? ---> u can use it back as u wish...or u can change it also if u got money for it...for me,performance wise is just slightly diff...for other ppl i dunno...

My car is auto, I don't plan to change it to a manual transmission, so I should probably just install a not very high end turbocharger? ---> anyways,for manual is tat u can manually control the speed of your car,but for auto,u can't control it at early gear...so the boost is not gona reach to the maximum at early gear...this answer is also related to the first answer i given..

I heard that installing this will actually improve my fuel efficiency in city driving as the turbocharger, if not boosted, will allow the fuel in my engine to burn fully, is this true? ---> hurmmmmmm......agreed wit bro jinkl

Is it true that if I install a cheap turbocharger, it might actually make my car's HP go down if not boosted? Because of the crappy turbocharger's fan resisting exhaust gas from flowing out of my engine. ---> cheap turbocharger?assume tat your so called 'cheap turbocharger' is like planting a small turbine,it won't make your car HP go down if not boosted...because probably boost wil open at around 3k rpm,when your car idling,it's on 1k...so there is only 2k rpm range btw boosting n normal mode...wit tat range in btw,the performance is base on your engine,or might be slightly increasing because of installed turbo...

Sorry for asking so much noob Qs, I hope all the sensei, guru and professor here can help me out! ---> if u're free,u can try n search the old post...there must be some information about it if u're really hardworking..

JUST MY 0.000000001 CENTS....

last time people cucuk me also to bolt on my 93p...luckily i didnt.if u had enough budjet go for 4g93t gsr (210) then u will have a real turbo...some more ur engine got value dude...juzt sell it.
totally agreed wit him...

xinghonh

1,000 RPM
Aug 25, 2006
so basicalli i spend ard 5k-6k for this bot in the beginning
then i wanna upgrade to a better management...so i get an emanage...
then when im boosting i experience jerking and pop sound frm exh
so bought walbro to solve the prob...then have 2 retune the emanage cz too rich...
engine oil decreases...FC increases...

clanzkiller

1,000 RPM
Oct 31, 2006
BOT to a normal engine is much more problematics then to a turbo engine..
even if u transplate to a turbo engine directly,u wil sstil encounter some problem...but not as much as normal engine...
is like modifying a thing to an extraordinary thing wil cause problem,cause it is not original at all....same as if u're modifying a toy controller car,adding transistor,capacitor,chips,wateva to the toy car,some problem wil stil occur...
so conclusion.....think more then twice before MOD a car cause it gonna cost u alot for problem solving as well as adding power to the engine..
good luck bro...

there is a phrase saying "Car modification is all about passion and patient" xD

Mar 21, 2008
I think u put your engine on sale, n transplant a VR4 which is much much MUCH better than BOT-ing your 93, oso kicks GSR's arse....kicking 'em really really HARD....LOL

clanzkiller

1,000 RPM
Oct 31, 2006
good suggestion...yahor 1.8 to 2.0 only ma..pay higher roadtax...oh ya wanna ask if puspakom stil giving approval from converting turbo engine?or converting to non-ori car specification engine?
i read a news,forget wer and when,tat puspakom is restricting for converting to turbo engine because of the accident rate in malaysia is increasing significantly..is tat real?

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Hey guys,

I've heard several stories of shops charging customers for doing balancing off wheel and then charging them again for doing off wheel balancing. Please be careful and take note:

For example: If a shop takes your tyre out and balances it, charges RM5 and then put it back on your car.... drives your car and then finds it's still out of balance and then he chooses to do an 'on wheel' balancing and charges you RM30 he SHOULD NOT charge you the other RM5 earlier simply because he was...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience