Setting Adjustable Absorber Hi-Low Soft-Hard

Dec 23, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
Hi sifus out there,

Recently I just got HWL hi-low soft-hard for my car (about 8 hours ago to be exact :) ), but the problem that keep bothering me all night long is about height adjustment for this thing. Since I wanted to set the car little high, the taukeh used to compress the coil spring to archive that, and for what I understand, height adjustment for this type of absorber is only to adjusting the body shift housing (cylinder body housing) and not to compress the spring. It will compromise the comfort, as the spring travel shorter than it supposed to. I already argue with them, but they kept told me when compress the spring it will be more comfort :hmmmm:. I let them to do as they claimed to. I don't want to teach them to do their job, that will be disrespect. As the result, damper dust cover also seems to compress as well and might be broken if this stay like this. I just need clarification on this whether their setting was right or not. :confused:

Refer image below (it's almost the same but with soft-hard setting, MT1-BS)

Credit to : mgbk-gab-hwl: HWL MT-1

cRazYee

Known Member
Oct 7, 2005
everything is based on damping ratio, at what rate you want your car to run.

i do agree with you, the height is adjust by turning the bottom rings at the bottom of the spring. but still it's compressing the length of the spring (but base on the structure of the damper).

^pomen_GTR^

7,000 RPM
May 13, 2010
The Mines
well...adjust the spring would be much easier...

if u still insist to adjust the body u have to dismantle the suspension unit and equipped with measuring tape for proper adjustment....

after that getting alingment+camber re-adjustment...

my rule of thumb would be to have the spring slightly pre-loaded (compress a bit with spring seat still can be turned by bare hand easily)

p/s:if u want the ride to be tall..then try adjust the suspension body 3/4 of the highest limit first....

vr2turbo

((( God Level 30,000 RPM )))
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Could it be the bottom height adjustment is at it's max height, so they comprise the spring rate to push the car higher?

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
hi just wan to know did u satisfy with the setup? did u ever felt bouncy feelin when driving?
I'm happy with my Improve Hyperflex II HLSH. 30 damper settings and I use 9 hard for front and 6 hard for rear. Daily drive it's very comfortable. Obviously I set it much higher if I want it to be track ready. Like 29 front 25 rear

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
Oh.

In that case my HLSH has body shift. So height adjustment doesn't affect spring rate or spring compression. So to me no bouncy and no issues.

vr2turbo

Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Oh.

In that case my HLSH has body shift. So height adjustment doesn't affect spring rate or spring compression. So to me no bouncy and no issues.
You also did not digest his first post. He knows the correct way is to adjust body shift but installer adjust the spring compression....:banghead:

mh wong

500 RPM
Feb 14, 2012
Kuala Lumpur
installer want to make money......n.....malas to proper install te HLSH.....normally they will tell u adjust spring height wont affect its performance.......

just tell "if u malas,,,,,,just sit in ur house".......they dun even care ur life.....

vr2turbo

Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
installer want to make money......n.....malas to proper install te HLSH.....normally they will tell u adjust spring height wont affect its performance.......

just tell "if u malas,,,,,,just sit in ur house".......they dun even care ur life.....
Yup, adjustment will be free of charge liao.....

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Hi Sifus,

Need opinion on the problem that i facing rite now.

I'm driving eg6. There are 2 problems with my car:

1) When i'm driving the car, i will smell strong smoke fumes in side my car. Fastest i go, stronger the smell come in. Have check exhaust system for any leak, nil finding.

2) I park car at open space parking. The thing is, when i going out for lunch, the aircond is not working. Can feel the air come in but not sejuk. after a while, the aircond start cooling the car...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience