Putra setting

ahwong999

Known Member
Feb 26, 2005
Hi,
I'm driving a Putra and just installed Titan about a month back. The ride is a bit harsh and there is quite a lot of body roll. Anyone care to share your setting? Need the ride to be a bit firmer but not harsh. Will Richard know how to setup for me if I tell him this?

whatdamn

1,000 RPM
Sep 29, 2004
Cheras, KL, Mal
ahwong,
harsh in what way? too bumpy? the roll can be solved/reduced by changing the front/rear anti roll bar to stiffer ones. remember, harder springs/dampers will not always produce less body roll. it's the anti roll bars that reduce the roll.

what's your srping rate at the moment for the front and rear?

ahwong999

Known Member
Feb 26, 2005
Harsh as in feeling every road detail. Especially on uneven/worn out roads, the feel like riding on a train. My current setting is
Front:
Titan adjustable ~6kg with pillowball
Ride height ~3 fingers
Yokohama S306
Stock ARB
UR 4pt strut bar

Rear:
Titan adjustable ~4kg
Nangkang ES2 or something like that
UR 19mm ARB

Planning to take out the pillowball and change over to a better set of tire. This is my daily car and would like a little comfort to go with it. That's the reason I switched from Hotbits to this. The Hotbits are somewhat too hard, feel like it's without suspension. What setting are you on for your putra?

kwai

1,500 RPM
Dec 18, 2004
Perak
Visit site
if you using stock engine, springs rate front 3.5-4.5kg, rear 2.5-3kg should be sufficient...

my 0.002 cents...

my friend's putra evo2 using front 6kg rear 2.5kg... :)

whatdamn

1,000 RPM
Sep 29, 2004
Cheras, KL, Mal
ahwong,
i'm currently using 5kg front and 3kg rear. even with this setup, i can get quite a lot of feedback while driving, so, i think like what kwai said, go for lower spring rates. maintain the current ride height. hmm, 19mm rear arb...kinda hardout for ur use if i should say. something around 16mm is good enough, because the stock ARBs are only 12mm for the rear.

another thing, ask uncle richard if he made ur front/rear dampers short or long stroke. normally he'll recommend a shorter stroke for the front but since you're looking for comfort, i think u should just skip that type of setting.

another thing, the body roll that you experienced right, it would be good if you could let someone take a sharp corner with your car to determine how much roll(noticable) there is. i find that the best way to determine how much roll ur getting.

just to check, ur using the proper sized bushes when you changed to the 19mm UR arb right?

ahwong999

Known Member
Feb 26, 2005
I'll probably be asking Richard to change to softer springs. Problem is that I'm from Ipoh and it's a hassle to go to KL to do the tuning. That's why I need to get things right with the minimum tries. Yup the rear ARB bushes have been changed.

ahwong999

Known Member
Feb 26, 2005
Yup another thing I want to ask. What's the difference between long and short stroke? Long stroke has more travel and should be more comfy. Short stroke has less travel and is stiffer. But whether short or long stroke depends on the spring and the ride height right?

whatdamn

1,000 RPM
Sep 29, 2004
Cheras, KL, Mal
you can have more stroke (longer travel) but it still depends on your spring. naturally a shorter stroke setup would be stiffer to avoid hitting the bump stops of your car and would be less comfortable because compression and rebound would happen much quicker than with the normal stroke damper.

you shouldn't have a long stroke setup if you plan to lower your ride a lot. because there's a high chance that you won't have enough travel to compensate for the longer travel that the damper experiences with a lower ride height. putting stiffer springs might solve this problem but it might be like the case of cutting your springs...you get a bumpy ride because most likely the force from the spring under compression is going to force the damper to decompress sooner.

hope my explanation is somewhat clear to you.

S1997

1,000 RPM
Nov 18, 2003
im having 6k front and 3k rear on my satria and its bumpy. esp the rear. Car would fly / leap when pass uneven road. Any suggestions from u guys for satria setting?

Ahwong999, anyway im from kedah. So if you plan to go for tuning may be i can meet up in ipoh and we drive down together. Wont be so bored lar. :)

whatdamn

1,000 RPM
Sep 29, 2004
Cheras, KL, Mal
normally for wira/putra/satria, a good starting point would be to get 5 kg front and 3 kg rear. which i have been told is the max you should go unless you get a roll cage. because apparently you're only gonna appriciate the stiffer setup from reduce flexing of the chassis due to the roll cage.

good point to check before blamming it on springs/dampers, anti roll bars. to stiff and you might lift the inner will when taking a turn.

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Hey guys,

There are a few friends of mine who are interested to learn automotive engineering/technology. They said they're interested to work in a tuner shop or motorsports team someday. Any local college/university that you guys can recommend? :smokin:
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience