Rim Sizes & Weight Differences

Hanz Lim

From Facebook
Sep 6, 2010
www.facebook.com
Greets to all zth member newbie here got some question dun understand here hope can get some answer from all sifu's~

1,wats the difference of 6.5jj & 7jj of a 15' sport rim?does it make any diff in performance?

2,is the lighter weight of the rim the better it could perform?

3,so if i own a rpo1 15'x7jj is it wise to change my rim to ssr type c 15'but 6.5jj oni coz its more lightweighted?

thanks for all sifu's answering ya thanks~

Last edited:

kumar22mostwanted

1,500 RPM
Jan 9, 2010
HELL!!!
i know that lightened rims are definitely better because the overall weight of the car is reduced and therefore it moves more easily than before
and also lightened rims reduces the weight of the steering so steering movements become lighter and more responsive :rolleyes:

series5401

Known Member
Aug 14, 2010
Kuching
i know that lightened rims are definitely better because the overall weight of the car is reduced and therefore it moves more easily than before
and also lightened rims reduces the weight of the steering so steering movements become lighter and more responsive :rolleyes:
i also heard that light rim easily to "bengkok". i would like to change my rims, but still worried if its bengkok than need to repair this and that.. ehehee..

anthing on the widthe of the rims? any pro and cons?

kumar22mostwanted

1,500 RPM
Jan 9, 2010
HELL!!!
i also heard that light rim easily to "bengkok". i would like to change my rims, but still worried if its bengkok than need to repair this and that.. ehehee..

anthing on the widthe of the rims? any pro and cons?
for the bengkok problem then u must get the forged alloy rims but those can cost a bomb
to me the cost of alloy rims are not really worth it for the benefits gained
i would rather slap on a pair of normal rims and get a nice set of high cams :rofl: huhuhuhuh

BoxCarRacer

500 RPM
May 7, 2008
Johor Bahru
Greets to all zth member newbie here got some question dun understand here hope can get some answer from all sifu's~

1,wats the difference of 6.5jj & 7jj of a 15' sport rim?does it make any diff in performance?

3,so if i own a rpo1 15'x7jj is it wise to change my rim to ssr type c 15'but 6.5jj oni coz its more lightweighted?

1. I guess so. Wider contact patch?. The question is, what tire size & profile are you going to match with it with your rims?

2. The lighter the better. :driver:

3. SSR type C cap ayam or ori one? :burnout:

MKMD428

500 RPM
Aug 21, 2005
johore

1. i don't know much about rim width, IMO 6.5 and 7 on 15" wheels is not a big problem. (depends on a car and your offset) maybe in terms of cornering, stability, g-stability it helps..

2. the lighter the weight of the rim..the better it perform? yes...i agree..BUT lightweight forged rim are better than lightweight cast rim.. To understand the benefits of lighter wheels, it is necessary to understand the differences between “sprung weight” and “unsprung weight” in relation to your vehicle. Sprung weight is supported by the suspension, including the transmission, engine and chassis. On the other hand, unsprung weight refers to everything else, including the suspension system and the components attached to it. Surface imperfections in the roads place force on unsprung weight, which then reacts with its own movement. The less unsprung weight in a vehicle, the less it is affected by the road and other outside forces.

Reducing unsprung weight increases vehicle performance and the easiest place to do that is in the wheels of the vehicle. The vehicle handling and maneuverability is increased, including faster breaking and acceleration times. Lighter wheels will also cut back on the wear and tear of the vehicle’s tires, as well as increase the vehicle’s fuel efficiency. Since forged wheels are significantly lighter than most cast wheels, all of these benefits can be achieved by replacing those cast wheels.

Forged wheels also have other benefits. Forged wheels sport a higher density of grain structure than cast wheels. Cast wheels tend to be more porous than forged wheels. They are also stronger than cast wheels and can take more damage while lasting for a longer time.

3. changing from rp01 15 x 7 with type c 15 x 6.5 is really worth it bro (if both are japanese made)...because rp01s are cast wheels. ssr type c forged wheels. the width is not an issue. (assuming that you are not driving k-car..unless its a small width like 5.5jj..might not be suitable i guess)

Last edited:

Wanggot

May 22, 2006
Jay Bee

1 - Different between 6.5inch and 7inch is not much I guess. Offset of the rim U choose will matter the most

2 - Ofkoz the lighter the better

3 - 15inch Rp01 weighs abt 6kg while the 15inch Type-C only weighs abt 4kg. Well, if U ask me, it is a very wise choice to make.

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

:smile: ....Hi Bros...I interested in getting a adj steering wheel..you know the one used in F1 where we can pluck out/in the steering wheel.I heard some shop in KL area selling that kinda boss kit.Any idea where can I get this stuff?? What is the price ?? and Is it universal and fit all steering ?? Anyone ...:biggrin:
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience