QUESTION on A/F reading

emptywallet

Mar 27, 2007
hi people! i just got a new APEXi turbo timer (black limited) which comes with A/F, O2, Batt, and Timer. Everything's working fine but the A/F reading shows nothing "--.-" in the first 2-3 minutes when i start my engine. is this normal or do i need to check my airflow sensor? the engine (4G93T - Auto) is half-cut just masuk last week, need to make sure i check EVERYTHING while still within the 10 days guarantee.

emptywallet

Mar 27, 2007
even when engine just switched off for a few minutes? possibly even a few seconds?

GT_AUTO

3,000 RPM
Oct 25, 2005
K.Trg
www.facebook.com
bro emtywallet,it got nothing to do with ur air flow meter.ur o2
needs time to warm up first before there's a reading like putracraze said.
if after 5 min while cruising n there's still no reading,u have to check
ur o2 sensor whether it's still working or not.

SkYwAlKeR

Over 10,000 RPM!
Mar 12, 2005
ePoh ~ malacca
Visit site
yeap yeap... try reading hypertune latest edition... got teach how to read AFR meter.... basically narrow band O2 sensor need to warm up before it starts to give signal... means u need to travel at normal operating temperature only it will give u readings...

i've read somewhere that narrow band O2 sensor can be modified become wideband O2 sensor... is it by jz adding additional 2 wires to it??...

GT_AUTO

3,000 RPM
Oct 25, 2005
K.Trg
www.facebook.com
i've read somewhere that narrow band O2 sensor can be modified become wideband O2 sensor... is it by jz adding additional 2 wires to it??...
i don't think we can convert a narrow band o2 sensor to a wide band bro
skywalker just by adding a wire on it.if converting is that ez,those wide
band o2 maker go muflis liow.....:_:

PutraCraze

Known Member
Nov 14, 2003

:adore: .......:top: ..... bosch will chap lap like tat....

emptywallet

Mar 27, 2007
bro emtywallet,it got nothing to do with ur air flow meter.ur o2
needs time to warm up first before there's a reading like putracraze said.
if after 5 min while cruising n there's still no reading,u have to check
ur o2 sensor whether it's still working or not.
...warm up to work...OK got it!

SkYwAlKeR

Over 10,000 RPM!
Mar 12, 2005
ePoh ~ malacca
Visit site
den why some wanna add extra 2 wires to their narrow band O2 sensor??...

another question, lets say a carburettor engine car wanna install O2 sensor jz because wanna use AFR meter to monitor the carb AFR mixture... is it possible??.. some say the readings wont be accurate.... the inaccuracy is by how many percent??....

GT_AUTO

3,000 RPM
Oct 25, 2005
K.Trg
www.facebook.com
den why some wanna add extra 2 wires to their narrow band O2 sensor??...

another question, lets say a carburettor engine car wanna install O2 sensor jz because wanna use AFR meter to monitor the carb AFR mixture... is it possible??.. some say the readings wont be accurate.... the inaccuracy is by how many percent??....
bro sky,who wanna add extra wire?it's possible but i can't recall whether it works or not.if i'm not mistaken it will work.there's a reading.my friend did it around 4 years ago because he's using apex'i timer at that time.i think u can try it skywalker.u can source a cheap 02sensor at chop shop for around rm20.look for a 2 wire.1 wire is signal while the other one is power.the body act as a ground.may the force be with u......:_:

kennethfong

500 RPM
Aug 11, 2004
bro skywalker,

may the force be with you, why do u wan to monitor a narrowband O2? the only thing ur O2 can tell u is: lean burn, rich burn, normal burn.... that's it....
u will never know how exactly rich or how lean until ur piston fires a big hole or other disasterous potential damage....

SkYwAlKeR

Over 10,000 RPM!
Mar 12, 2005
ePoh ~ malacca
Visit site
bro sky,who wanna add extra wire?it's possible but i can't recall whether it works or not.if i'm not mistaken it will work.there's a reading.my friend did it around 4 years ago because he's using apex'i timer at that time.i think u can try it skywalker.u can source a cheap 02sensor at chop shop for around rm20.look for a 2 wire.1 wire is signal while the other one is power.the body act as a ground.may the force be with u......:_:
dunno leh why add extra 2 wire.... saw it before in other automotive forum (oversea one lah)....

anyway, i thought of this idea long before... i need to drill hole in my extractor to install the O2 sensor as well rite??... my current one dun have lubang for O2 sensor...

as for wiring, a normal AFR gauge has how many wires to connect??... directly connect to the O2 sensor wires??...

GT_AUTO

3,000 RPM
Oct 25, 2005
K.Trg
www.facebook.com
dunno leh why add extra 2 wire.... saw it before in other automotive forum (oversea one lah)....

anyway, i thought of this idea long before... i need to drill hole in my extractor to install the O2 sensor as well rite??... my current one dun have lubang for O2 sensor...

as for wiring, a normal AFR gauge has how many wires to connect??... directly connect to the O2 sensor wires??...
yup,u need to drill hole to ur extractor.i thought ur using apex'i timer.hehehe...
i forgot liow how many wire leh the afr comes with.try ask those guy who sell
auto gauge meter in the market plc.connect the signal wire from the o2 to ur
gauge's signal receiver.happy modding.....

GT_AUTO

3,000 RPM
Oct 25, 2005
K.Trg
www.facebook.com
bro skywalker,

may the force be with you, why do u wan to monitor a narrowband O2? the only thing ur O2 can tell u is: lean burn, rich burn, normal burn.... that's it....
u will never know how exactly rich or how lean until ur piston fires a big hole or other disasterous potential damage....
kenneth,yow yeng mar iswara using afr monitor.:_:.how many carburetor car
that u know using afr?hardly any right?won't blow a hole one lar on his piston.
the force always with him what........jj:shades_smile: no hard feeling skywalker.

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

kennethfong

500 RPM
Aug 11, 2004
GT,

then by all means go ahead, it's just my suggestion that if you wanna place an AFR monitoring device, go wideband n however that's for tuning purposes only.... you can also place a permanent wideband into ur car but only if you can afford the cost of wideband sensor replacement....

i'm using standalone with AFR monitoring on narrow band, and it doesn't help me in tuning at all, the purpose of that O2 in my car is just for closed loop feedback to my standalone....

sky,

just my 2 cents, we take this as constructive conversation and not a sarcastic one, we can do anything to our car, but whether the cost vs gain benefits us or not is another matter....

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

There may be a new contender at Pikes Peak this year and the team is looking to dust off some dirt on their way up the legendary hill climb challenge ahead of the regulars in the Open Class like Nobuhiro ‘Monster’ Tajima and Rhys Millen.

The contender in question originates from the Andros Trophy, a French ice racing series that pulls in all thebig names from the continent, much like how Pikes Peak pulls...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience