Performance worsen after installing aftermarket air filter

C99D-MMC5537

Known Member
Jan 9, 2008
Hi guys, yesterday I changed my heavily restricted OEM air filter on my Perodua Viva to an aftermarket drop in stainless steel air filter. Cap ayam brand for RM68. Well I was thinking,since its only an extra of rm20-30 from a brand new original air filter,might as well I give it a try.

The acceleration of the car from stationary position has definitely improved. But that 'feel' somehow decreases over time as it reaches 80km/h. I had a hard time accelerating after 90km/h, a really hard time. Only managed to accelerate up to120km/h and the meter just stops there at 120km/h despite flooring my pedal. Used to be able to run up to 140km/h without any hassle with stock air filter.

Clearly,the solution here is to change the aftermarket air filter to a more reputable one. But can someone explain to me what is the problem with this specific aftermarket air filter?

Thank you in advance.

Dont waste your money with this kind or stuff la. Even the accessories shop fancy colorful "cold air intake" not help very much in increasing cooler air volume into your intake. this kind of setup using very long hose and got too much curve from lower part of bumper to airbox.

This is what i do. minimal curve to air box (less than 1 feet hose length). using mercedes-benz high quality plastic a/c blower hose. never suck water too your air box even driving on highway in very heavy-rain (tested so many times) since this hose got groove, and running upward to airbox. FYI, i still using original paper filter inside. faster acceleration. manage to hit 160km/h GPS speed with 165/55R14 tyre. everything else is 100% stock. FC still same like before. 16-17km/l average for town driving. Cost: RM0.20 (for cable tie) :driver:

Attachments

ronaldindin

Known Member
Jan 14, 2013
Kuala Lumpur
www.12bet.com
if u done intake mod like port n polish, changed intake manifold, etc.. 'maybe' drop-in can give better result.
for std setup oem filter does the job well..

cold temperature can give more power/respond. ecu will detect temperature from intake sensor.
usually stock intake snorkel will get fresh air away from engine heat.
So actually it's not really recommended for stock car to put in this kind of performance part uhh.

ohh is it, what if re-align the air intake hose away from engine? Put it in grill area?

LittleWhiteWagon

1,500 RPM
Oct 12, 2009
P.J
So actually it's not really recommended for stock car to put in this kind of performance part uhh.

ohh is it, what if re-align the air intake hose away from engine? Put it in grill area?
It's not a performance part at all, an aftermarket drop-in filter does is allow fractionally more air in than the standard element. Anyways the only way to make use of that extra air is... to get your car tuned accordingly. You still keep the standard airbox, hoses, whatever noise cancelling chambers/pockets they have from factory.

But of course la with less restriction in the element itself the car will feel faster. Being actually faster thats a whole other thing. Also being reuseable it saves more in the long run if you're keeping the engine. :driver:

Unless on bigger engines, or engines that require more air, then there is a significant gain.

Last edited:

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
Pfft i'm sure a K&N drop in for your myvi would threathen your monthly budjeting. :rofl:
:thefinger:

I already have a drop in for my Myvi. Before and after (paper filter) to me there is a difference - the difference that I need to keep paying RM24 for a stupid filter everytime I wanna service the car whereas the K&N just dynamo wash it, re-oil it with my recharger kit and continue on with my life.

Poor bugger I am I tell you, I'll do anything to save a buck.

ColdPlay

Known Member
Jun 16, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
Okay, here is what happened to my sister's 850cc manual Viva. She send in the car for service and the foreman managed to coax her
to change to aftermarket air filter which cost her more than 130 bucks.
Few days later, she complaint to me her car has a good acceleration but feel heavy at high speed.
When i tested the car, engine does feel lethargic going from 100km/h onwards. Open up the air box and check everything, suspected the culprit was the dirty throttle body. The better air flow add to build up the thickness of oil/dirt inside the throttle body in shorter time.
After throttle body cleaning is done, car has no problem reaching top speed. Next day, another problem pop up, this time check engine light. Removed the battery overnight and check engine light gone.

Question : Viva 850cc manual doesn't have the timing valve adjuster?

damone

500 RPM
Oct 7, 2008
Who says that normal paper filter is restrictive?

Driving in Malaysia with all the dust and black diesel smoke coming out from lorries, Id rather stick to paper filter than risk my engine.

Tried all sort of 'performance' drop ins and open pod. All will leave a faint film of dust inside the air box.

So imagine how much dust is ingested into your engine?

Driving in Malaysia can be considered one of the extreme conditions for a car.

papagoines

Orang Tua
Feb 6, 2006
Rawang/Selangor
agrees with you on that, but finding oem replacement paper filter for my daihatsu mira L502 is kinda hard, once i found rm80 for one piece even then have to order. even drop in are practically non existance here in malaysia....

btw, for a turbo'ed engine owner... most will change to aftermarket open pod if changing to a bigger turbo

Driving in Malaysia with all the dust and black diesel smoke coming out from lorries, Id rather stick to paper filter than risk my engine.

Tried all sort of 'performance' drop ins and open pod. All will leave a faint film of dust inside the air box.

Maxx

2,000 RPM
Feb 17, 2005
PD-Putrajaya-KL
www.zerotohundred.com
agrees with you on that, but finding oem replacement paper filter for my daihatsu mira L502 is kinda hard, once i found rm80 for one piece even then have to order. even drop in are practically non existance here in malaysia....

btw, for a turbo'ed engine owner... most will change to aftermarket open pod if changing to a bigger turbo
for turbo, ill go for open pod.
it really does make a different. can feel more responsive n power.. even for stock turbo.
heated air around air filter doesnt effect much for turbo engine, bcoz the turbo already hot n got intercooler..

LittleWhiteWagon

1,500 RPM
Oct 12, 2009
P.J

I'm curious, what engine have you tried these 'performance' drop ins & open pods on? :hmmmm:

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL

Considering the heat inside the combustion chamber is ridiculously high, whatever dust and dirt that gets sucked in is gonna burrrrrn babeahhh.. :rofl:

Maxx

2,000 RPM
Feb 17, 2005
PD-Putrajaya-KL
www.zerotohundred.com
not all dust n dirt get burn... some will stuck inside intake system.. tb, manifold.. sensors inside intake system (if got) also will be coated by dirt..

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
not all dust n dirt get burn... some will stuck inside intake system.. tb, manifold.. sensors inside intake system (if got) also will be coated by dirt..
Interesting you said this. I did test this once before, I drove around without a filter in KL for about a month. Filter-less. Completely. What I did was take the ori filter, cut out the paper element and just left the frame and installed it back.

After a month of driving like that, I dismantled everything. The only thing that I found was that the engine oil got dirty verrrry fast. TB was actually very clean (well, to be fair it was the usual 'clean', nothing special, nothing too dirty, nothing too clean), intake was the usual clean and my low end torque was crap (was still auto back then). High end was fantastic and the intake roar was unbelievable. But then again the TB and everything was ported and polished so that might have something to do with the lack of dirt sticking.

Btw, when I said the oil got dirty very fast, it's like this : Today I change oil, check the dipstick it's bright yellow. Tomorrow I check it's still yellow. One week later it's almost black. 1.5 weeks later the oil was so black I couldn't see any yellow. Changed the oil after 2 weeks of using a semi-syn oil. Bloody hell.

Maxx

2,000 RPM
Feb 17, 2005
PD-Putrajaya-KL
www.zerotohundred.com
Interesting you said this. I did test this once before, I drove around without a filter in KL for about a month. Filter-less. Completely. What I did was take the ori filter, cut out the paper element and just left the frame and installed it back.

After a month of driving like that, I dismantled everything. The only thing that I found was that the engine oil got dirty verrrry fast. TB was actually very clean (well, to be fair it was the usual 'clean', nothing special, nothing too dirty, nothing too clean), intake was the usual clean and my low end torque was crap (was still auto back then). High end was fantastic and the intake roar was unbelievable. But then again the TB and everything was ported and polished so that might have something to do with the lack of dirt sticking.

Btw, when I said the oil got dirty very fast, it's like this : Today I change oil, check the dipstick it's bright yellow. Tomorrow I check it's still yellow. One week later it's almost black. 1.5 weeks later the oil was so black I couldn't see any yellow. Changed the oil after 2 weeks of using a semi-syn oil. Bloody hell.
ur rocker cover inside will contaminated by dust/dirt also if ur engine breather system still stock connected to air box.
thus ur engine oil will contaminated because of the oil recirculating/flow from head back to oil pan.

leonl

Known Member
Aug 16, 2009
USA
If I'm not mistaken, the Viva ECU isn't adaptive and runs based on a fixed fuel map right? If yes introducing more air would just make it run really lean. I don't think you should use the stainless steel mesh filter as those are very free flowing. At the very least consider getting a performance non-stainless steel drop-in like those from K&N/Simota/Works/Pipercross.

But you gotta love that induction noise! :biggrin:
He is right on. Stock air box is good to keep air cooler, with K&N filter should be good enough.
Since it is getting more air now, you want to get more fuel & spark. Fuel pressure regulator for fuel. Upgrade coil for more spark. Don't forget what goes in, needs to come out. Exhaust will be nice.
Good luck, have fun and be safe.

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

i've been researching a lot of info regarding this but still not comfortable to do the conversion coz dunno whether it'll be reliable or not. plus the 'terbalik' term..

any guru(s) out there has/ve carried out such conversion? care to share ur advises / engine type / pro&cons / troubleshooting? if can upload pictures will be most appreciated.
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience