Performance worsen after installing aftermarket air filter

D7zul

2,000 RPM
Feb 24, 2011
Shah Alam
Ecu won't detect temperature from the intake la! It will detect how much O2 (oxygen) is available and adjust the fueling to compensate. Colder air is supposedly denser therefore richer in oxygen la. Hot air is the opposite.

But the difference is only noticable only if you're sucking in hot air all the time from the manifold or something.
then why got air intake temperature sensor at either airbox, intake manifold, tb?
some car models have this air temp sensor.. some car doesn't..

not sure about viva.. but for 20v, blacktop has it & silvertop doesn't..

:biggrin:

papagoines

Orang Tua
Feb 6, 2006
Rawang/Selangor
not temp sensor la bro. It's a O2 sensor to measure the density of oxygen in the air flow. MAP or MAF sensor.
higher the temp, less dense the air

Maxx

2,000 RPM
Feb 17, 2005
PD-Putrajaya-KL
www.zerotohundred.com
not temp sensor la bro. It's a O2 sensor to measure the density of oxygen in the air flow. MAP or MAF sensor.
O2/lambda at exhaust, i know.
that O2/lambda sense O2 in exhaust fume after combustion process, n adjust ECU AFR accordingly. usually in cruising speed.

MAP/MAF sense air pressure/mass in intake part.
use by ECU for AFR in closed loop mode.

some engine does have air temp sensor. so there must be some data taken from the air temp sensor for ECU calculation.

jeffayn

500 RPM
Mar 27, 2004
Klang
Not all air filter is equal.. or else we do not need K&N to tell us how superior their filters are.
A good air filter is an art of balancing between filtration, performance and lifespan.

The oem or traditional air filter is make out of paper material.. is just like your coffee filter, but much porous like your house hold vacuum bag. So some oem "brand" macam macam use paper which is not filter quality, but much compact, look nicer , better built and cleaner.. but it fail as a air filter, and is more likely air blocker...and they last not so long...

your cap ayam performance air filter.. is built to look like , smell like, even feel like the K&N , but in deep , it just a paper filter in disguise of performance filter..

K&N filter is made from cotton, and is interweave layers and each fliter designed to it optimum numbers or peat, which affect the air flow volume, direction and speed entering... it take months to year to get one model to be perfect enough for K&N to put it on shelf.. that is why it always longer for them to develop any new vehicle compare to the ABC brand...

When you use the so called performance filter, you facing loss of power.. it not necessary the air filter is too chip plak.. it can be the A/F not working right for your car...

when you got A/F too high or low, you are the loser .. it sold as plug and play but not all the time is that simple and easy.. it take time to diagnose. Just like people all crazy for open pod in the late 90s. However, open pod is still very widely used, because drop in is still too much limitation.

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
O2/lambda at exhaust, i know.
that O2/lambda sense O2 in exhaust fume after combustion process, n adjust ECU AFR accordingly. usually in cruising speed.

MAP/MAF sense air pressure/mass in intake part.
use by ECU for AFR in closed loop mode.

some engine does have air temp sensor. so there must be some data taken from the air temp sensor for ECU calculation.
D7zul has corrected me already. And I stand (sit) corrected! :biggrin: And you're right about the MAP/MAF, my mistake!

Well, anyway - I honestly doubt the Viva has a temp sensor. The Myvi I'm very sure doesn't have one, both 1st gen and 2nd gen Myvis. Newest 3rd gen one I'm not sure but I don't think the engine layout has changed.

I think CAI is a debatable topic. Very hard to prove by dyno and when MightyCarMods tested this on that red skyline, the performance gain is so minimal.

Maxx

2,000 RPM
Feb 17, 2005
PD-Putrajaya-KL
www.zerotohundred.com
D7zul has corrected me already. And I stand (sit) corrected! :biggrin: And you're right about the MAP/MAF, my mistake!

Well, anyway - I honestly doubt the Viva has a temp sensor. The Myvi I'm very sure doesn't have one, both 1st gen and 2nd gen Myvis. Newest 3rd gen one I'm not sure but I don't think the engine layout has changed.

I think CAI is a debatable topic. Very hard to prove by dyno and when MightyCarMods tested this on that red skyline, the performance gain is so minimal.
i think mine (myvi) got the air temp sensor. can see it in airbox below air filter.

anyway, we r here to share information.. and slightly off topic.. haha :driver:

DerrickEe

Known Member
Oct 18, 2012
Kuala Lumpur
Hi guys thanks a lot for your replies. Anyway,had a few test runs this time and it was much better than the first test run.That road that I first tested on was indeed an uphill,sorry my bad. Other than that,barely any performance gains except minor pickup speed,barely noticeable. In fact, no difference with stock paper filter. In my opinion,I think practical is better than theory.

neohadri

Known Member
Jul 5, 2008

Maybe because nowadays cars manufacturer made their airbox to be more efficent rather than just a tool for noise suppression only, they have fully uttilies helmholtz theory

C99D-MMC5537

Known Member
Jan 9, 2008
as far as i know, all car comes with MAP sensor will have air temp sensor. This is because MAP only read air pressure, cant read air temp. For those which using MAF sensor, dont need air temp sensor since the 'hot wire' in the sensor can read air temp and air flow in one shot. All perodua which using injection using MAP and come with air-temp sensor.

pwhyze

500 RPM
Mar 1, 2011
Kuala Lumpur
Helmholtz resonators and air inertial charging, in a Viva? I think you're giving Perodua engineers too much credit bro..haha.

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
i think mine (myvi) got the air temp sensor. can see it in airbox below air filter.

anyway, we r here to share information.. and slightly off topic.. haha :driver:
I see that sensor.. that's an air temp sensor? Uh.. I gotta go dig out the service manual and check again.

LittleWhiteWagon

1,500 RPM
Oct 12, 2009
P.J
Not to be a thread hijacker or anything, on smaller capacity cars does a drop-in filter actually give ANY sort of gain at all on the dyno? I'm just curious. :wavey:

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
Not to be a thread hijacker or anything, on smaller capacity cars does a drop-in filter actually give ANY sort of gain at all on the dyno? I'm just curious. :wavey:
I'm a poor DIY-er. If I were richer I'd do this as a potential Izso Mythbuster. Hehe

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

can anyone tell me wat is the purpose of using midbox in our piping system?
if compare to only a piping till muffer:
how is the FC?
how is the power?
how is the sound?
which brand better?
**i am using zenden bullet, 1.7" piping and Pro1 racing twin pipe muffer
Thanks
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience