Overstrecthed tyres, pros & con ?

vr2turbo

((( God Level 30,000 RPM )))
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
What is 'rimota' ??? A new China brand tire, is it? I don't think there are tires meant to be stretched. I honestly think that this practice of stretching narrow tires over wide rims should be made illegal if there has not been a ruling for it.
Yup, never heard of any tyres designed to be stretched. Probably can use a higher series tyres to stretch because got more sidewall....hahahahahhaha:rofl:

twistedichc

2,000 RPM
Jan 22, 2013
Ampang Point
Wah! 30 or 35 series is it? Yah! agree wallet will really take a beating.....hahahahaha:biggrin:

---------- Post added at 02:35 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 02:33 PM ----------

Not sure what you mean? 175R14 is 80 series aspect ratio. 165/60 is 60 series aspect ratio, so what is your question?:confused:
as per link below if my submission is correct

Online Wheel and Tyre Fitment Calculator. Offset, Tyre Stretch and Speedo Error | Will They Fit

---------- Post added at 04:01 AM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 03:53 AM ----------

Yup, never heard of any tyres designed to be stretched. Probably can use a higher series tyres to stretch because got more sidewall....hahahahahhaha:rofl:
can't remember the correct name but sumthing like tat @ maybe i'll ask again & jot it down lorr:biggrin:

vr2turbo

Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
as per link below if my submission is correct

Online Wheel and Tyre Fitment Calculator. Offset, Tyre Stretch and Speedo Error | Will They Fit

---------- Post added at 04:01 AM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 03:53 AM ----------

can't remember the correct name but sumthing like tat @ maybe i'll ask again & jot it down lorr:biggrin:
Still don't quite understand your question? 175R14 with 165/60R14 tyres, but your next post is 165/60 tyres on 6.5" rims compared to 6.9". I think your original tyres are on 5" only not 6.5.
6.5" should fit 195 size tyres. You change the top figure to 5" and see the difference....

twistedichc

2,000 RPM
Jan 22, 2013
Ampang Point
Still don't quite understand your question? 175R14 with 165/60R14 tyres, but your next post is 165/60 tyres on 6.5" rims compared to 6.9". I think your original tyres are on 5" only not 6.5.
6.5" should fit 195 size tyres. You change the top figure to 5" and see the difference....
ok let me rephrase my question coz still a bit low on knowledge bout rims, right now standard kelisa rim runs on 165/55R14 & dunno the exact width of rim so calculated & change the 165 to 6.5", wanna do everstreched tyres using GY NCT5 165/60/R14 & fit onto a R14 rims that fits a 175 profile tyre, so rite now need to learn bout rims & get the correct size of the rim that i wanna use. now i know my question is way way of target. so anyone any thread @ links bout rims & how it is being calculated??:banghead::confused:

6UE5t

6,000 RPM
Oct 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
ok let me rephrase my question coz still a bit low on knowledge bout rims, right now standard kelisa rim runs on 165/55R14 & dunno the exact width of rim so calculated & change the 165 to 6.5", wanna do everstreched tyres using GY NCT5 165/60/R14 & fit onto a R14 rims that fits a 175 profile tyre, so rite now need to learn bout rims & get the correct size of the rim that i wanna use. now i know my question is way way of target. so anyone any thread @ links bout rims & how it is being calculated??:banghead::confused:
To make it easy, just go to this website and put in the tire size and you'll get what would be your possible width for rims.
Tire Size Calculator - Tire & Wheel Plus Sizing

YYC

1,500 RPM
Dec 30, 2007
Kuala Lumpur
Everything in this world has its originally innocent beginning just like CD was once a recording medium for my favorite Canton hits but is now associated with someone's [strike]penis[/strike] name in our country's gutter politics.

So I would like to think that stretched tyre has the same innocent originality and beginning. Some boy, who just had enough money for a wider rim but not enough for a wider tyre, decided to fit in first and stretched his stock tyre on his newly purchased rims on his ride. Someone who was always zealous to make his car look unique but lack of new idea stumbled upon this particular poor guy's stretched rubber and found the design was absolutely out of this world and ahead of its time, so he took the inspiration and later showed it off to his bunch of common freaks. There the wild fire started to spread.

I like stretch tyre too, but I cannot think of its functionality except its look which my mother called it VERY ugly.:dontknow:

6UE5t

6,000 RPM
Oct 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
Everything in this world has its originally innocent beginning just like CD was once a recording medium for my favorite Canton hits but is now associated with someone's [strike]penis[/strike] name in our country's gutter politics.

So I would like to think that stretched tyre has the same innocent originality and beginning. Some boy, who just had enough money for a wider rim but not enough for a wider tyre, decided to fit in first and stretched his stock tyre on his newly purchased rims on his ride. Someone who was always zealous to make his car look unique but lack of new idea stumbled upon this particular poor guy's stretched rubber and found the design was absolutely out of this world and ahead of its time, so he took the inspiration and later showed it off to his bunch of common freaks. There the wild fire started to spread.

I like stretch tyre too, but I cannot think of its functionality except its look which my mother called it VERY ugly.:dontknow:
Could not agree more with your mom!

ixeo

4,000 RPM
Jun 26, 2005
KL, Malaysia
There are more cons than pros in overstretched tyres...
Zero practicality but alot of ppl do it for the look.

Their car, their fancy, of course.
True, I agree fully. So don't drive it on public roads cause its not their father's road. Its not funny having these fuckers on the road, blowing a tyre at 80km while casuing catastrophic consequences. They can go bang trees, but other road users are innocent.

twistedichc

2,000 RPM
Jan 22, 2013
Ampang Point
well than, as most sifuses r against them, I wanna know is there anything that I do to make my tyres look stretched. Rota rims maybe??:confused:

YYC

1,500 RPM
Dec 30, 2007
Kuala Lumpur
165/55/14 will fit nicely into 4.5x14 rim and right up to max stretching 6x14 rim. Everything still within safety limit. You will risk ripping off the tyre on rim wider than these.

TitanRev

You think I print money?
Helmet Clan
Mar 3, 2005
I'm very interested to see those stretch tires get brought down to the track and do a few fast laps...what will happen tire explode or comes off the rims?

kUmUcHaI 11/1

500 RPM
Feb 28, 2010
JB - KL
Don't do it.
Not practical.
" if Something happened to your tyres, you won't cry...but if it happened to your rim....you will cry blood "

Won't let anything bad happen to my RS 18x9 + 29...

vr2turbo

Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
To make it easy, just go to this website and put in the tire size and you'll get what would be your possible width for rims.
Tire Size Calculator - Tire & Wheel Plus Sizing
Bro. 6UE5t, I use 1010 tyre calculator too, but the problem is 165/55R14 don't exist there...:banghead::biggrin:

---------- Post added at 02:18 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 02:12 PM ----------

Got you this time.....:top:
I am not sure what the 175 tyre rim width is so is difficult to assume but should be okay as 165 and 175 do not differ much.
Just a simple calculation since the 1010 calculator do not have your tyre size.
165 is 165mm convert to inch is roughly 6.5", therefore 5" to 6.5" rims can fit them, anything more they start to stretch. Slight stretch is still acceptable but not too much....

YYC

1,500 RPM
Dec 30, 2007
Kuala Lumpur
Bro. 6UE5t, I use 1010 tyre calculator too, but the problem is 165/55R14 don't exist there...:banghead::biggrin:

---------- Post added at 02:18 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 02:12 PM ----------

Got you this time.....:top:
I am not sure what the 175 tyre rim width is so is difficult to assume but should be okay as 165 and 175 do not differ much.
Just a simple calculation since the 1010 calculator do not have your tyre size.
165 is 165mm convert to inch is roughly 6.5", therefore 5" to 6.5" rims can fit them, anything more they start to stretch. Slight stretch is still acceptable but not too much....
Bro, the section width measurement 165 shouldn't be taken as direct rim width figure. As mentioned in Performance Tire and Wheel Relationship by Yokohama, "for 50-series tires and higher, the measuring rim width is 70% of the tire's section width rounded off to the nearest 0.5inch while For tires that have an aspect ratio lower than a 50-series, the measuring rim is 85% of the tire's section design width".

Therefore, tyre with 165 section width should ideally mount on 4.5" up to 6.0" wide rim:
-- 165mm=6.5inch
-- 70% of 6.5inch = 4.5inch

The same formula is re-quoted by Car Bibles in its An ideal rim-width calculator.

vr2turbo

Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Bro, the section width measurement 165 shouldn't be taken as direct rim width figure. As mentioned in Performance Tire and Wheel Relationship by Yokohama, "for 50-series tires and higher, the measuring rim width is 70% of the tire's section width rounded off to the nearest 0.5inch while For tires that have an aspect ratio lower than a 50-series, the measuring rim is 85% of the tire's section design width".

Therefore, tyre with 165 section width should ideally mount on 4.5" up to 6.0" wide rim:
-- 165mm=6.5inch
-- 70% of 6.5inch = 4.5inch

The same formula is re-quoted by Car Bibles in its An ideal rim-width calculator.
Yes brother, but bro. twistedichc wants to stretch his tyres, so is rough estimate for him.
He does not want exact rim size....:biggrin:

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

As mentioned in the title, what is the cause and what am I looking at to replace/repair?

Please check out the attachment for reference. The nut which is circled in white is the problem.
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience