No GST: Time to buy a new car

ixeo

4,000 RPM
Jun 26, 2005
KL, Malaysia
No GST, and SST will not apply until further notice.

I think excise duty & import tax WON'T be removed anytime soon. The new government still need *some* income from taxation.

So who's buying? I think izso needs a car that goes from point A to point B, instead of staying still.

Man that Volvo V40 T5 is no joke, and price competitively to whack BMW 1 series. V40 T4 is very good value but why oh why no keyless option.

YEBWOY27

Apr 24, 2018
Kuala Lumpur
No GST, and SST will not apply until further notice.

I think excise duty & import tax WON'T be removed anytime soon. The new government still need *some* income from taxation.

So who's buying? I think izso needs a car that goes from point A to point B, instead of staying still.

Man that Volvo V40 T5 is no joke, and price competitively to whack BMW 1 series. V40 T4 is very good value but why oh why no keyless option.
Yeah the updated prices look good, sucks whoever bought something in Jan'18.

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
My MIL bought her Captur just last month for RM109k. I think she's banging her head on the fender these days because of the GST thing.

I want a new car - but at the same time I'm conflicted as to whether to get a daily runner that 'runs' or something that I would like to drive. I had a discussion with someone the other day and I realized that when I'm driving the Myvi around I get irritated easily, I want to get from point A to B as quickly as possible and drive aggressively, whereas when I drove the BMW (when it worked), I was waaay more chill even though going slow and even let people cut in front of me during jams. I need a car I enjoy even if it is a daily. And I don't enjoy Myvis.

On a separate note, Toyota reduced their prices 6k to 10k depending on car. I wanna go test drive the Camry Hybrid! I have a feeling I won't like it though.

ixeo

4,000 RPM
Jun 26, 2005
KL, Malaysia
Captur? Look at the price of the 2008 man. A “bargain” for the car, a headache on ownership with Naza after sales. 85k with their raya sale.

Both the mid spec Mazda 2 & Peugeot 208 is at 70k now. You can get one for point A to B kinda driving. I’d recommend the Mazda 2. Or if you wanna be cheap, the Persona 1.6 Manual at sub 40k. But if you want a Proton, just get a lelong Iriz 1.3 manual still under warranty.

Honestly with a new car or one with warranty you won’t be having that much headache. Anything just go back for warranty.

That Camry Hybrid is EOL. But do go test drive. It’s a bit old school inside. I’m going to test drive the Volvo V40 and Bmw 118i later. Friend wants to buy a sub 200k continental.

Last edited:

6UE5t

6,000 RPM
Oct 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
Unfortunately the new cars that I like to drive are all out of my budget so yeah, no difference with GST or without! :(

ixeo

4,000 RPM
Jun 26, 2005
KL, Malaysia
Unfortunately the new cars that I like to drive are all out of my budget so yeah, no difference with GST or without! :(
Example? Ferrari 458?

Man I absolutely love the Volvo bus, that XC90. In black is absolutely menacing. 0-100 in sub 6 seconds is just crazy.

6UE5t

6,000 RPM
Oct 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
Example? Ferrari 458?

Man I absolutely love the Volvo bus, that XC90. In black is absolutely menacing. 0-100 in sub 6 seconds is just crazy.
Where got 458 new now? All used or recon, the new one is 488 now. And I don't dream that high leh! :biggrin: I just want the cheapest AMG and still cannot reach just yet. :(

Volvo is wolf in sheep's clothing but no RV and expensive maintenance so not really interested.

YEBWOY27

Apr 24, 2018
Kuala Lumpur
My MIL bought her Captur just last month for RM109k. I think she's banging her head on the fender these days because of the GST thing.

I want a new car - but at the same time I'm conflicted as to whether to get a daily runner that 'runs' or something that I would like to drive. I had a discussion with someone the other day and I realized that when I'm driving the Myvi around I get irritated easily, I want to get from point A to B as quickly as possible and drive aggressively, whereas when I drove the BMW (when it worked), I was waaay more chill even though going slow and even let people cut in front of me during jams. I need a car I enjoy even if it is a daily. And I don't enjoy Myvis.

On a separate note, Toyota reduced their prices 6k to 10k depending on car. I wanna go test drive the Camry Hybrid! I have a feeling I won't like it though.
I feel this too! When i drive the Bezza i get very frustrated, on top of that the amount of road bullies when driving the bezza cmopared to the BMW is ridiculous lol

ixeo

4,000 RPM
Jun 26, 2005
KL, Malaysia
Where got 458 new now? All used or recon, the new one is 488 now. And I don't dream that high leh! :biggrin: I just want the cheapest AMG and still cannot reach just yet. :(

Volvo is wolf in sheep's clothing but no RV and expensive maintenance so not really interested.
I don't follow Ferrari much, cause can't afford.

AMG, C43? Or you're talking about the REAL AMG with hand build engines? Cheapest one is the A45/CLA45. I'd take the CLA45 over the A45, but I'd take C43 over both. The A/CLA chassis is a FWD-first chassis, with AWD thrown in. C Class chassis is a RWD setup with AWD. But that's me!

I feel this too! When i drive the Bezza i get very frustrated, on top of that the amount of road bullies when driving the bezza cmopared to the BMW is ridiculous lol
Bezza is quite a stupid car, the rear seat so upright, the 1.0L engine lugging all that weight. I think an Axia can be more fun. Oh ya, the Axia manual 1.0L.. izso can consider that. It's like a Kelisa just modernised.

stupidcar

5,000 RPM
Mar 18, 2013
Kuala Lumpur

Try Mazda 6?

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
Bezza is quite a stupid car, the rear seat so upright, the 1.0L engine lugging all that weight. I think an Axia can be more fun. Oh ya, the Axia manual 1.0L.. izso can consider that. It's like a Kelisa just modernised.
If I hate the Myvi what makes you think I like the Axia?

Try Mazda 6?
That's a lotta money la dude

vr2turbo

((( God Level 30,000 RPM )))
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Yalor, say this much, that much discount, still only 6% off, still got 94% to pay.....lol

ixeo

4,000 RPM
Jun 26, 2005
KL, Malaysia
If I hate the Myvi what makes you think I like the Axia?

That's a lotta money la dude
I suggested Mazda 3 and Peugeot 208 (this is like syphilis on steroids, if you wanna have STD again). Or Iriz 1.3M. Pick one lar. Your display car gonna be on display for a while.

6UE5t

6,000 RPM
Oct 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
I don't follow Ferrari much, cause can't afford.

AMG, C43? Or you're talking about the REAL AMG with hand build engines? Cheapest one is the A45/CLA45. I'd take the CLA45 over the A45, but I'd take C43 over both. The A/CLA chassis is a FWD-first chassis, with AWD thrown in. C Class chassis is a RWD setup with AWD. But that's me!
Yes the A/CLA45 is enough already and still real AMG hand-built engines. C43 is too expensive and road tax is also high. I know the A/CLA is a FWD with AWD added but still good enough especially if you get the face-lifted one (2016 onwards) with improved handling setup to reduce the FWD understeer tendency.

Try Mazda 6?
Don't buy Mazda 6 now. In SG they will soon release the new Mazda 6 with turbo so engine output is 250HP, so better wait for that until arrive in MY. I suppose this is to compete with the new Accord which is also already turbocharged.