Need advice on Honda Civic 1st Gen

SkooL

Apr 21, 2004
Fellow hondarian,

It's my late father in-law car and has been lying dead about 6 months ago. I'm planning to bring the car to KL and fully restore the car for daily driven usage.

My question, since it's still use the original engine, what is the possible engine conversion to this little car. Apart from that the suspension, brakes, wheels and etc. that can be fitted to the car.

Thanks.

Last edited:

shiroitenshi

3,000 RPM
Apr 18, 2006
If you have the cash.. even a b16A can be installed. in one of my honda tuning mags, there was a picture of a first gen civic with a b16a with itbs.. (O_o). you might have problems with JPJ though.

Another thing is, you might be spending more than simply looking around and buying a mint condition 1st gen if the old school civic is your thing. There's actually a first gen civic owner in kelantan that kept his in a mint condition. I had the opportunity to peek under the chassis and was surprised at how well it was kept. I don't think he's selling though.

Before you start, check for rust. rust around the wheel wells and suspension mounts means you're better off tossing the car than trying to fix it.

Last edited:

darkemperor

Known Member
Jan 4, 2006
ive heard somebody putting a h22 in this 1st gen (aka civic telor)...so a b16 shudn be a prob. (not sure jpj complient)

like shiro said rust is a main issue unless it is well maintain all these years..

Last edited:

SkooL

Apr 21, 2004
The car has been restore 2 years ago with new paint and I think there's not much problem with rust as the car is kept in the garage.

B16A is to much power for me and JPJ will definitely kacau. Other than B16A, what's the less power VTEC engine can be fitted? (my wife hint, put VTEC la)...aiiyooo my wife also know VTEC la...

darkemperor

Known Member
Jan 4, 2006
there is many option other than the b16...a few sohc vtec like d15b n etc..

but very seldom i see the whole h/cut lying around due to less demand...mostly prefer to go for b16 for better bang for bucks!!!

yup need the whole h/cut for complete convertion...less hassle..

hattech can help sourcing ka?

lightningfield

2,000 RPM
Dec 29, 2004
Johor Bahru
www.ef-honda.com
a friend of mine completed a conversion b16a from EF9 to his 1st gen civic. works well and the conversion is considered perfect. even the engine bay looked like OEM!

now the car is resting after the conversion completed. he just sprayed spoon yellow with black bonnet and rolling on original P1s.

of coz u need to consider many things for the conversion..apart from the engine itself.

braking should be no problem.. but the thing that really matters are suspension and driveshaft setup.. and yea.. i dont think you can pass with jpj for registratiion

let me know if you want further details abt himself/his car.

Concrete

Known Member
Sep 25, 2006
which first generation civic is in your possesion, the 1978 three door hatchback where the indicator lights are on the bumper or the 1979 three door hatchback where the indicator lights are in the bumper itself? or is it a four door?

by the way lightning field, i would like to know more about your friends car.do you know where he got the car from? and where he might be able to find another or spare parts for the car

lightningfield

2,000 RPM
Dec 29, 2004
Johor Bahru
www.ef-honda.com
concrete, the car is in immaculate condition. so far im not sure how he got the spare parts (exterior etc) but that car is considered weekend car. so not much of daily driving done and i guess the current bodyparts are still perfecto.

i try to upload some pics of the car soon. its in my office pc. hope it is still in the hard disk.

Concrete

Known Member
Sep 25, 2006
skool

which first generation civic is in your possesion, the 1978 three door hatchback where the indicator lights are on the bumper or the 1979 three door hatchback where the indicator lights are in the bumper itself? or is it a four door?

SkooL

Apr 21, 2004
Concrete said:
skool

It's the 3 door hatch and i think the lights are in the bumper...didn't look at the geran yet.

Concrete

Known Member
Sep 25, 2006
i see.how about posting up some pics of it to show exactly which model it is?since there are several out there

SkooL

Apr 21, 2004
Concrete said:
i see.how about posting up some pics of it to show exactly which model it is?since there are several out there
Have to wait until raya then for the pics...old pics i've deleted from my hd...

I think the 1.5 sohc vtec is enough for the car...what u guys think ? is there anybody done this before ? btw...what's the engine code ?

Concrete

Known Member
Sep 25, 2006
interesting project you got there. when are you going to go ahead with it? why dont you keep it in its original condition?just asking

SkooL

Apr 21, 2004
Concrete said:
interesting project you got there. when are you going to go ahead with it? why dont you keep it in its original condition?just asking
Exterior will be original la...but engine has to swap la easier to source sparepart later on...got pic already later i'll post.

nksc

500 RPM
Mar 21, 2006
heheh..nice car..put la b16b inside the car..vrooomm!

Concrete

Known Member
Sep 25, 2006
nice.very nice condition.engine plus the correct rims would make it look sweet

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

You can stop rereading the title over and over again, you read it right the first time. According to reports from Car and Driver, the next generation of the Porsche 911 could be offered with a seven-speed manual transmission.

When it rains, it certainly pours as motorheads prayers for more manual sports cars appears to not only have been answered, but boosted as well.

If you’re thinking Porsche went...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience