need advice on cams

pageda36

Sep 10, 2006
a good day to everyone. i am still new and need some advice. hope you guys can help.
1.i'm not sure what cams to change, tomei or hks, i also don't know how many degrees would be the best,and which one produces the nicest sound..... hehe:burnout:
2. do i have to change the fuel pump,injector and so on?
3. roughly do you guys have any idea how much its going to cost me?

would really appreciate your help,also want to thank mak for helping me out earlier.take care:driver:

apai_Ngage

Known Member
Dec 15, 2004
First of all, what engine u are using?

khoyos

2,000 RPM
Nov 23, 2003
Shah Alam
if ur using a big turbo with all the power up top, then u might need some high degree cams n high lift to make the engine able to rev very very high (usually for drag n racing engines) for street use, then tomei 260 or hks 264 would already be more than enough to provide miracles to the powerband. injector/fuel pump depends on ur setup.

price between rm2.5k to the "sky's the limit" for various types of cams u want.

if ur only gunning for the sound, instead of the performance gains, just run a straight pipe exhaust without muffler. will get similar head-turning attention when passing by crowds of people using only some change in ur pocket...

what u might want to ask is "what cams are skyline GTR owners here using, with what engine spec" so that u can get a guideline on what to choose depending on what is similar to ur setup...

i used hks264 before (but not on RB26) and oh my, it is by far the most entertaining mod EVER! the high rpm power was just amazing! and that was not even with hks 272...

Last edited:

Dr.D

500 RPM
Aug 28, 2005
Petaling Jaya
depends on what ur target bhp and when u want that power..

pageda36

Sep 10, 2006
i'm using the standard turbo only. the thing is i have changed exhaust system,air filter,ermm..boost controller installed,also installed power fc.now on wheel is 336hp. so i ask them what to do next and they said change cam lor.they said by doing that,it could increase my hp by about 30 hp. khoyos, thanks for ur advice...but any idea how much the injector and fuel pump cost? also do i really have to change them?:confused:

khoyos

2,000 RPM
Nov 23, 2003
Shah Alam
yes, cams can provide that extra 30whp.
fuel pump walbro rm500+- better change to be on the safe side, injectors not so soon hehe... can be delayed later when u decide the stock turbos are too small...

if i were u, i'd go for hks 264

farizio

Known Member
Nov 26, 2007
KL
if ur only gunning for the sound, instead of the performance gains, just run a straight pipe exhaust without muffler. will get similar head-turning attention when passing by crowds of people using only some change in ur pocket...
truer words have never been spoken. i like your style!

delinquent sounding car with superbike revving baby yeahhh!

Liner

Known Member
May 4, 2005
truer words have never been spoken. i like your style!

delinquent sounding car with superbike revving baby yeahhh!
Hahaha yea , i love the sound of the 26, although mine sounds weak lol,

336 on wheels with those mods? Hmm, should it be slightly higher? i could be wrong, and the tuner is probably going for a safe tune.

GTS500

Known Member
Nov 18, 2008
336 is about right with those mods. Depends on which dyno u dynoed.

S

semperfi

guys, Any re-tuning done with 264 and fuel pump installation? Thanks again.

khoyos

2,000 RPM
Nov 23, 2003
Shah Alam
yes. re-tuning is highly recommended to compensate the increase in valve lift n opening duration at high rpms...

S

semperfi

yes. re-tuning is highly recommended to compensate the increase in valve lift n opening duration at high rpms...
I knew you would save the day!! Thanks buddy for the heads up. :adore:

Now I'm f**ked! :rofl: and pretty much stuck! :hmmmm:

khoyos

2,000 RPM
Nov 23, 2003
Shah Alam
I knew you would save the day!! Thanks buddy for the heads up. :adore:

Now I'm f**ked! :rofl: and pretty much stuck! :hmmmm:
no ur not stuck bro. its time to open up, broaden ur perspective, shift your paradigm... embrace the fact that malaysian tuners(if u insist that malaysian tuners are no good for Vpro, Garage R singapore is proven to be a solution to even the fussiest malaysian owners), though not as glamorous n meticulous as japanese tuners, are competent enough to tune ur car :nurse:

no offense intended.

S

semperfi

no ur not stuck bro. its time to open up, broaden ur perspective, shift your paradigm... embrace the fact that malaysian tuners(if u insist that malaysian tuners are no good for Vpro, Garage R singapore is proven to be a solution to even the fussiest malaysian owners), though not as glamorous n meticulous as japanese tuners, are competent enough to tune ur car :nurse:

no offense intended.
No problems bro... I totally agree with you with KL local tuners.

Don't get me wrong but I did broaden up long time ago... Way way too long. But the fact is, I'm here in Kota Kinabalu. If only you have been here and you'll know. There are no known tuners here, in fact there is none. (please read my previous post-I'm working in Borneo). You are in KL... If only you've seen the way they work on your engine... I blew my previous cars' engines too many times, turbos leaking... missing bolts and nuts... missing parts... Ask around people from KK and you will know. Btw, if you can find me one HKS V-Pro tuner in KK, I'll be glad to send my car to him. Once again, I'm in Kota Kinabalu, Sabah. (I noticed no one paid any attention to what I said previously regarding my other post when I said Kota Kinabalu and some just jumped to the conclusion that I'm stating overall local tuners)

Some mechanic busted my turbos without my knowledge back in the 94 when he boosted my turbo to 1bar on my pajero 2.8l turbo. ( found that out when my car broke down half way 2 days later) They accidentally broke my OEM BOV (joint) and said it's ok. ( I was still too dumb to understand anything about cars back then) They then proceeded to seal it off with a metal plate! The car lasted 2 days!! I've actually spent more than 10k to bust my own car up. Can you believe that?

And there's only ONE Dyno here (no 4WD) and it's a prehistoric type, Dynosaurus. Bro, you have to understand my situation over here. I understand you totally but not in KK bro, no one here has any knowledge about cars, minor installations, yes but not tuning. Another guy brought in his newly built Tomei Rb28 from Japan to install into his GTR. They (the locals) busted his racing clutch! (aftermarket ones-new) on the Dyno while 'tuning' his new RB28!

I don't have the liberty to tune my car over here... Called up KL a few times before I actually called in the Japs and the locals sorta like gave me the finger over the phone! (They sorta like told me, it's very expensive you know, can you afford the tickets, food and lodging, tuning and didn't bothered with any explanations at all?) Now, tell me if I should trust the locals with this kinda crappy attitude. In fact, a couple of more guys too had the same feedback when they called up KL. (I'm from KL btw and a west malaysian working in sabah):biggrin:

Don't get me wrong again bro, This is the dilemma I'm facing right now.

A local mechanic (very well know in KK and all JDAM car owners go to this place) for tuning JDAM cars... (JDAMAGE) practically destroyed every car that went into his workshop and ppl are too oblivious to believe 'that workshop' can't tune a car (and do they have a choice? No.). And the owner doesn't know anything about cars. Now, do you really wanna send your GTR to them?? And there's are less than 4 in KK I know that can actually work on a car. (can't use the word tune as they have no knowledge of tuning at all)

And the best part, the latest software (there's only one place that have it) they had for OEM GTR is outdated!! I had to source out the problem myself and ask a local workshop to re wire the car and manually reset my car thru GOOGLE. :rofl:

Yes, it is that bad over here. I'm not looking down on them... It's their "everything can go in without tuning, 80% plug and play" kinda attitude. I can go on and on... the list is just too long dude. Last week, my local mechanic told me to install a Cam with no tuning at all, "can jalan one." he said. (I remembered the Jap told me anything to do with engine has to be tuned).

No puns intended:adore:

Last edited by a moderator:

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Just to share with ZTH forumers what I did with my OEM filter. Reason for doing this is because i bought a redline drop in air filter a few months ago and it is still in good condition. As i didn't want to buy a new open pod filter YET so i did this.

As you can see, the OEM air box of my cps which...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience