need advice on cams

• See what others are reading now! Try Forums > Current Activity
  • Search function more powerful with google results! Try Search
i read ur engine specs in 1 of the other threads. basically its still utilising mostly stock parts. if u plan to keep the spec that way for at least 1 year, then u can go for hks256. if u plan to go for larger twin turbos or even go single in the future, then it would be better to invest in hks 264. lower degree cams=fatter torque n mid range. higher degree cams="empty" mid range, then suddenly BANG! all the power comes.

sorry to hijack this thread, i've been wanted to ask but i don't wanna create anymore unneccesary topics, if i'm aiming for mid range is hks264 be more than enuff?I am planning to just put gt2530 or gt28 or max i would go is 3037 turbo is 264 responsive enuff?(i have a rb25det first gen ecr33)

1)any one can give me a rough picture of how this pairs up ?
-hks 256 / gt2530
-hks 256 / gt28
-hks 256 / gt3037
-hks 264 / gt2530
-hks 264 / gt28
-hks 264 / gt3037

2)also what are the pricing for these in kl/malaysia?(state new/used)
-hks 256 in/ex
-hks264 in/ex
-gt2530
-gt28
-gt3037

i know i might have asked a looooooooooooooooooooooot of questions but i just wanted to know that's why i asked. Any answers deep appreciated!

Why don't you get your car tunned in brunei?They have the authorised HKS representative, mr Shumpei Ohura that installs fcon vpro.The fee is a complete different story though, 4k+ for an engine management tune but you get what you paid for.i have not came across anyone that has ever regreted paying to be tuned by him.(Oh and brunei has a complete different league of jap sports car there, cheap cars mah, that's why there are alot of japnese tuner there)

Thanks for the advise. Done that! HKS just moved to Brunei ( I did mine long ago) and I've called them up regarding the F-Con. Nope... they will not tune any ecu once it has been touched by other tuners. You will have to get a new set from them. My friend's F-Con is now laying somewhere in his office. He sold off his previous car (F-Con installed) and he tried to install it into his GTR and no one would touch his F-Con. He too would have to get a new set. Nothing is easy as it looks.

Feedback from HKS Brunei wasn't very good either. And they're fully booked till don't know when...:biggrin:
Not an easy task eh? Thanks again for the heads up. Been there, Done that. I have no problem with my car, the topic started off about tuners. :wavey:

Bump:
i read ur engine specs in 1 of the other threads. basically its still utilising mostly stock parts. if u plan to keep the spec that way for at least 1 year, then u can go for hks256. if u plan to go for larger twin turbos or even go single in the future, then it would be better to invest in hks 264. lower degree cams=fatter torque n mid range. higher degree cams="empty" mid range, then suddenly BANG! all the power comes.

Bro, If I install the HKS 256 there needn't be any tuning right? Further upgrades would be deemed useless on KK road. I think my performance is good enough. I have to watch out for oblivious drivers, pot holes and I mean BIG ones and very horribly uneven roads. Wish me luck and thanks a bunch for the priceless advices and infos. Owe you one! :adore:

cosmicgate: for rb25,tomei cams are the preferred choice. go for 260 poncams n u will be happy. for turbo, u can go for a gt2835/3037.

semperfi: bro, the best person to consult is ur tuner, not me :p i know absolutely nothing about ur engine n the way it is being tuned. it may or may not have that extra margin to compensate the cams. as far as i know, hks256 is within the limitations of stock ecu's compensation. since ur ecu is no longer stock, then my opinion will be considered a vague guess at best. ur tuner is just a phone call away (dont forget time zone difference):sleep:

khoyos:so its tomei 260 in/ex poncams?

why sometimes i see ppl hybrid like tomei 256 / 260.

what's that mean?

(haha i know i ask alot of questions)

cosmicgate: for rb25,tomei cams are the preferred choice. go for 260 poncams n u will be happy. for turbo, u can go for a gt2835/3037.

semperfi: bro, the best person to consult is ur tuner, not me :p i know absolutely nothing about ur engine n the way it is being tuned. it may or may not have that extra margin to compensate the cams. as far as i know, hks256 is within the limitations of stock ecu's compensation. since ur ecu is no longer stock, then my opinion will be considered a vague guess at best. ur tuner is just a phone call away (dont forget time zone difference):sleep:

Right! Ok, thanks again bro!

khoyos:so its tomei 260 in/ex poncams?

why sometimes i see ppl hybrid like tomei 256 / 260.

what's that mean?

Cosmicgate: <--Wau u sound so Trance!Anyway i`m sharing the same type music wth u.hee

Welcome to ZTH Skyline Club.

Answering to ur Q, I think u would mostly see those kind of setup in Japs mags.The difference between RB25 and RB26 camshaft setup is in cylinder head.RB25 have slightly bigger Intake valve compare Exhaust valve.This setup make more smoother and equal flow.
I would like to recommend u IN/EX combination 256/264 or 264/272. More higher duration and lift would need more works on ur cylinder head.Such as valve clearance, valve spring and valve guide.
Higher duration and lift also would make ur Hydraulic lifter life more shorter.It`s fine if u mod it to solid type.Yes by changing camshaft kill the VTC function.But wth high compression setup or boosting would cover the low torque lost.

cheers

kaminari:use to be a hardcore trance kaki, but now too old for that kekekeke.

that means if i go 256/264 i will need the valve spring, valve guide and solid lifters as well right?

ahhaha...me too but just enjoy it at home~

256/264 is basic camshaft which plug n play so not necessary to change all above but for future upgrade plan and life span would recommend do it.Keep lift low than 9.0mm so u no need hassle to do the valve clearance skimming.

For ECR33 PONCAM only 256deg 8.5lift available....HKS would have more option.

thanks bro, this is the info i found on nengun:

(RB25DET) - Duration: IN,EX 256 Lift: IN,EX 8.5mm

but i think 264 is > 8.5mm, that means 256/264 combo i need to do the valve clearance skimming , is that right?

sorry alot of questions here lol.

It`s 8.8mm for 256 and 9.0mm for 264 if from HKS.I think u btr refer to HKS website instead of Nengun. Both is SS-CAM meaning plug n play even for cam pulley.No need valve clearance skimming

dear friends i am in a delema again,i sent my car to the work shop hoping to change my cams and so on like what u all advised me.so when i left the car there they tuned it for me and it seems like now on wheel there is about 350 something hp.the thing is he said that even if i change cams and injector it will only add around 20+ whp.so he said it's not worth it for a might not really feel the difference.what should i do now? really appreciate if anyone could help.by the way i send my car to links

if ur mech say installing aftermarket cams will only yield 'not much difference' then either something is wrong is ur mech, or something wrong with the cams he's going to install, or both.

but then, we are mere forummers who dont even know u. its ur mech who's going to install the parts n tune ur car. not us.

Did you like sorta give him a budget or something? If not, it shouldn't be a problem for Links! This is a Skyline you are talking about... It shouldn't be a problem for them. PM V-Spec... his is arnd 400 on wheels.

What did you install so far?

400whp? WTF!! Don't put me on table ler. My car is pretty much stock! :banghead:

Suggested post every 5mins

Search

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience
Top Bottom