Need advice : Car spray

skanman2

Jun 28, 2014
Kuala Lumpur
Hi guys ,

I'm new to this forum. Looking for some advice/tips.

I'm planning to respray my Satria Neo (2006 , 8yrs old) to a new colour.
I just spent 4k on changing all the tyres/some brake discs/brake pads/new set of rims/set of absorbers.The ride feels brand new.
Few questions below.

1. Any tips/advice on what to look for in a new spray paint job ?
2. Should I send it for an engine wash prior to the paintjob as I have never washed the engine in 8 years. (Engine is still fantastic and just did a major overhaul 1.5 years ago) ?
3. What is the normal process for a spray paint job (do they strip the car apart ? i.e remove engine / seats )
4. Any other advice related.

Appreciate the feedback ! :biggrin:

vr2turbo

((( God Level 30,000 RPM )))
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Hi guys ,

I just spent 4k on changing all the tyres/some brake discs/brake pads/new set of rims/set of absorbers.The ride feels brand new.
Few questions below.

2. Should I send it for an engine wash prior to the paintjob as I have never washed the engine in 8 years. (Engine is still fantastic and just did a major overhaul 1.5 years ago) ?
3. What is the normal process for a spray paint job (do they strip the car apart ? i.e remove engine / seats )

Depends on what type of job you expect. If changing color, normally they just remove the wiring in engine compartment and spray the body panels. Engine is not removed as they just cover with newspaper. Interior they spray up to the door area only or areas that can be seen.

Supra_Fanatics

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Sep 17, 2008
Hi guys ,

Few questions below.

You can personally PM Fazidk. He has a FB page where you can see some photos of his work.
Usually they wont strip the paint or in other words sand down to bare metal. If you want to do it, usually it will cost more but hardly anyone do it.

Usually charges are for Exterior only. Those door edges,engine bay sides, inside consider interior paint, but can request to get it paint as well. Maybe additional a bit charges, depending on how is the agreement between you and the paint shop.

If you want to totally spray the interior and exterior as in stripped the interior, that would cost u a lot a lot a lot more. Like spraying a new car, stripped everything :rolleyes:

skanman2

Jun 28, 2014
Kuala Lumpur
Hey guys thanks for the feedback. Will check out his FB.

I'm a bit of a perfectionist when something needs to be done it needs to be done right and so I thought maybe sanding it down to bare metal. The paint thickness/quality/colour will be affected if it not sanded down right ? I don't mind leaving my car for 2weeks+

My budget is about 3k-4k and yes I would like any visible part of the old paint to be resprayed. I plan to get a metallic colour , still undecided. Do I need to request for any coating or do I go to a auto spa for that ? Is 4k enough for a Neo ?

Thanks

Supra_Fanatics

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Sep 17, 2008
Hey guys thanks for the feedback. Will check out his FB.

I'm a bit of a perfectionist when something needs to be done it needs to be done right and so I thought maybe sanding it down to bare metal. The paint thickness/quality/colour will be affected if it not sanded down right ? I don't mind leaving my car for 2weeks+

My budget is about 3k-4k and yes I would like any visible part of the old paint to be resprayed. I plan to get a metallic colour , still undecided. Do I need to request for any coating or do I go to a auto spa for that ? Is 4k enough for a Neo ?

Thanks
Ya, RM4K is more likely choosing an expensive and quality lacquer. Such as Glasurit or Great Quality Alesco lacquer. Since is metallic should be cheaper. Unless is pearl or crystal paint.

Not necessary to sand down but if u want to sand down. RM4K I think not enough, u intend to stripped the interior and spray as well? Then RM4K is not even enough. U can get his advice though.

Unless is just to spray outside and those visible areas on the interior only. Then RM3K - RM4K with good lacquer is around that price.

GEFORCEXTREME

Known Member
Nov 18, 2009
Kuala Lumpur
Hi guys ,

Few questions below.

My suggestions are:
1) go to large and popular shops, pay slightly more than regret later
2) do not trust Facebook pictures, the paint imperfections are usually can't be seen in photos
3) for a new car, not old cars like Wira/Satria which is in bad condition, spraying outside is enough. Why? If spray inside too, they will remove your interior, which MIGHT damage clips, lose screws, and other damage in the process.

---------- Post added at 01:03 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 01:01 PM ----------

Eventhough your car is 8 years, if not changing colour radically, I suggest spraying inside is enough. Lower cost, less risk of damaging your interior.

skanman2

Jun 28, 2014
Kuala Lumpur
My suggestions are:
1) go to large and popular shops, pay slightly more than regret later
2) do not trust Facebook pictures, the paint imperfections are usually can't be seen in photos
3) for a new car, not old cars like Wira/Satria which is in bad condition, spraying outside is enough. Why? If spray inside too, they will remove your interior, which MIGHT damage clips, lose screws, and other damage in the process.

---------- Post added at 01:03 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 01:01 PM ----------

Eventhough your car is 8 years, if not changing colour radically, I suggest spraying inside is enough. Lower cost, less risk of damaging your interior.
Hey GEFORCE thanks for the tips. When you said
you actually mean spray 'outside' right ? my car is maroon by the way.

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL

If you're a perfectionist, stick with the original colour and spray only the outside. Then you'll be able to afford a good painter and good lacquer. I don't think you need to go the Glasurit range since it's a bitch to work with and people usually charge a premium for that brand. A good Dupont spray painter can do a good job already. Volvo and VW use Dupont and their clear coat is pretty stone chip resistant. Much cheaper than Glasurit. Suggest you talk to your friends who has done a respray and go with that shop.

But to strip paint to bare metal and then redoing the paint will cost you a lot more than 4k. Since you're a perfectionist, removing the interior and all will give you nightmares. If the shop doesn't do it properly (usually they don't) you'll have rattling parts everywhere and gaps where you're not supposed to have. Worse - they might add in a screw where it isn't supposed to be (or visible). The shop that did my respray effed up my side panel triangle trim. They stuck it back with bitumen and I had a nightmare trying to remove that panel. So find an accessory shop that'll help you remove your interior with utmost care and then bring the naked car to a painter. Then only go back to the accessory shop after the paint cures.

Again - that'll be way more than 4k. So you're better off just sticking with the same colour and do exterior only (so interior not a different colour).

skanman2

Jun 28, 2014
Kuala Lumpur
y spend so much for a paintjob? better utilize your budget in modding your car, at least u feel the satisfaction.
What kinda mods are we talking here ? I'm not into turbo or too much cosmetics.
I like clean/neat look on cars. i already spent 700 on tints..4k on my wheels (absorbers/discs/sports rims/tyres) just 2 days ago.

I dunno what kinda tuning can i do to the car. I try to keep cars as close to stock.
A nice paint job seems right at this point.

Its kind of a toy car I keep at home now.

skanman2

Jun 28, 2014
Kuala Lumpur
maybe u could add on an aftermarket exhaust system, open pod air filter with CAI, BRIDE semi bucket seats, UR bars,
etc...
The UR Bars seem like the most likely one that I'd go for since Im a safety guy.
how many bars ? strut bar / lower arm bar ? fender bar ? anti roll bar ? how much usually ?

DanzEterna

Nov 1, 2007
PJ
www.primeperdanaclub.com
if u have no budget then go for the whole set as u mentioned,
not sure monkey bar available for myvi anot but there are for satria/civic ek hatchbacks

on the pricing try asking Izso.

zack.my

Jul 10, 2013
Kuala Lumpur
may i know where your place bro?
because i know a few shop..have a very good paint job..
last 2 month my father send respray their wish..very satisfaction..out side and inside..change new color..
i agree some one mention about just spray out side only..last year..november..i send my second car..9 year old wira..black color.
since i buy brand new..inside paint job still like new...so i decide to respray same color..cheap and most important thing i dont want they will remove your interior, which MIGHT damage clips, lose screws, and other damage in the process.
some time screw got balance..got gap here and there,,

skanman2

Jun 28, 2014
Kuala Lumpur
may i know where your place bro?
because i know a few shop..have a very good paint job..
last 2 month my father send respray their wish..very satisfaction..out side and inside..change new color..
i agree some one mention about just spray out side only..last year..november..i send my second car..9 year old wira..black color.
since i buy brand new..inside paint job still like new...so i decide to respray same color..cheap and most important thing i dont want they will remove your interior, which MIGHT damage clips, lose screws, and other damage in the process.
some time screw got balance..got gap here and there,,
Hey bro thanks for your input. I'm in Sungai Buloh area. Office is in Jln Ipoh-Batu Caves roundabout area. I really don't mind sending it to anywhere in PJ area but preferably somewhere close and does a good paint job. My paint is actually still good but I just feel like I want a new colour. Plus there are a couple of small dents that i will need to knock back. Mainly I'm spraying because I want a new colour not because its damaged or anything.

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

i have a honda civic so4 with d16a non vtec inside..auto transmission..
-recently my car is having jerking problem at 3-4rpm..firstly i suspected it might be missfire problem.so i replaced new plug cable,spark plug,distributor cap..but the problem remains,i even swap another distributor as well as ecu,but it still remains.
-later i tried to use ron97 fuel and the jerking problem gone.but after 3days it started to happens again.fuel consumption also bad..full tank of ron97 only able to get...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience