Mivec RS

darkwizard

Jul 10, 2006
Kaching...
Nice pic bro darkwizard... you mean that mivec controller is oem item to control mivec open/close?

I'm using mivec rs, engine itself very long lasting and tahan, sometime forgot to change oil and rev rev also no problem : ). I'm not sure whether this true or not but i believe rs has closer fd ratio than normal one cos tested both... This gb is superb while accelerating but sux while crusing... 3krpm = >90km/h...

Fuel efficiency is good as long as ignition and fueling part is well taken care, average 1L=11km/h unless you always pranggggggg, once a while wont drink too much petrol...

Please be extra careful while getting a half cut, make sure the mech is good and honesty cos i was conned by a SOB merchant :.. ( now need to fork out money to fix the synchronizer...
I think its OEM since it comes with the MIVEC-RS half cut and the half cut shop owner take it out and sell it seperately. Your RS model has a very tall gear ratios. Mine is shorter ratios with 3Krpm only at 80km/hr. May be mine is a bit special since the fuel consumption saving can be obtain when the MD mode turn on (Which is turn off 2 of the cylinders - cylinder deactivation technology) when power is not so needed in crusing.

Anyway, MIVEC-RS rally spec half cut i just stumble last time:
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3509/3877964649_2e68f62620_b.jpg
See there is no aircond and normal meter inside the halfcut. just very bare and most of the gadgets already taken out and sold seperately...

Last edited:

fadin_remorse

Known Member
May 28, 2008
I thought you actually prefer BMW... : )

OK back to topic, normal mivec fd and rs's fd only slight difference, if you wan cruising then change 93 fd... Alternative is becoming a good citizen like me only cruising at 70-80km/h then your fc will be really nice... If you can't stand then rev for distance... then back to 80 again...:listen:
Love BMW's but i am still young to own a proper one. Still studying bro so i admit i am noob to many otai's here. But i am whilling to learn :burnout:
Well the only way to improve a mivec RS is by changing the final gear right? That means its better off getting a standard mivec with std 4248 ecu right. The RS spec is mainly pickup right as the gearbox ratio is meant for that?

Last edited:

zac

1,000 RPM
Feb 7, 2007
Johor Bahru
Well, i just suggest no need to spend extra money and effort to look for a rs, as long as it's a mivec and is in good condition will do... for that slight differences from oem spec, you can easily overcome it with aftermarket... but just wanna remind you that you buy mivec due to budget constraint or you really love it? due to money then better save longer for better...

I like bm too, but i totaled one so use proton while repenting : ) then my engine got problem so i swap mivec (main factor is because i cant get evo engine endorsed) in the end i got myself a mivec ^_^ (that time i also tempted for digital aircond but trust me, manual one less headache) so far i satisfied with this engine performance and fuel efficiency...

fadin_remorse

Known Member
May 28, 2008
Well, i just suggest no need to spend extra money and effort to look for a rs, as long as it's a mivec and is in good condition will do... for that slight differences from oem spec, you can easily overcome it with aftermarket... but just wanna remind you that you buy mivec due to budget constraint or you really love it? due to money then better save longer for better...

I like bm too, but i totaled one so use proton while repenting : ) then my engine got problem so i swap mivec (main factor is because i cant get evo engine endorsed) in the end i got myself a mivec ^_^ (that time i also tempted for digital aircond but trust me, manual one less headache) so far i satisfied with this engine performance and fuel efficiency...
Exactly bro i get your point. Turbo is never an option for me because i have to look at fuel consumption also. But so far a standard mivec will do. A healthy standard engine would be enough tho:rolleyes: I dont mind the low end torque. I think its a contemplation when thinking of an engine.

zac

1,000 RPM
Feb 7, 2007
Johor Bahru
nope... changed 93 block, pnp, crank shaft balancing... just common work to make it healthy...

Art, you use 93 block and also rebore using bigger piston right? but is that high comp after market piston or from other engine one? I use back 81mm mivec hi comp piston...

Not intend to invest more liao, saving for dream car now...:rofl:

---------- Post added at 09:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:03 PM ----------

Exactly bro i get your point. Turbo is never an option for me because i have to look at fuel consumption also. But so far a standard mivec will do. A healthy standard engine would be enough tho:rolleyes: I dont mind the low end torque. I think its a contemplation when thinking of an engine.
Nice man, you've got your way figured out... i'm still wondering what path to take now haha... another option for you, if you not really into your current car then you may try sell it and get a modified 2nd hand car which is far*100 more cheaper than mod it yourself... but if you like your car so much then no choice : ), i din sell my car cos this is my family first new car, and got nice memory with it...

zac

1,000 RPM
Feb 7, 2007
Johor Bahru
it's flat/concaved right? i thought it will create lower compression?? planning for turbocharge?? LOL

Known Member
Jan 3, 2008
I am confused with this spec frm mivec. Has no clock and aircond as the dash comes with std analogue aircond. Based from what i read its rally spec. How much is this engine in halfcut. What are the problems that we face having this engine transplanted.
:wavey:
Mivec halfcut now is almost as same as gsr price depend on certain halfcut shop, some of them more expensive than gsr. RS car is a road legal performance car. Its come with no digital aircond, no radio, no INT speed at wiper lever, no electronic side mirror, no rear wiper suiz, no power window for door. Always come with plain white color body with no antirust for the body. If rs halfcut just look at those thing.
Its better for u to look for normal mivec halfcut, easy to maintain, easy to install because normal one have complete wiring, don't have hassle, (exp with power window wiring, or if u want to upgrade to flip side mirror, if rs don't have those thing, need to rewiring to do it)

boyzone

2,000 RPM
Mar 13, 2005
guys,

understand that have a lot of monster Mivecan over here...
Does RON95 able to support?
Pls advise.. Thx. :biggrin:

artworkz

500 RPM
Jul 3, 2008
JB
no problem at all, n my block is SOHC. i hv use 2 layer radiotor wif pajero turbo oil cooler oso.

mivec muz use premium unleaded fuel oni. in japan, they use RON 98 above. i better spend more money on fuel rather den my piston melt.

zac

1,000 RPM
Feb 7, 2007
Johor Bahru
hoho... i use two layer radiator + oil cooler too... but the mech said i worried too much...
I won't try 95, will go straight for v power sincer not muvh diff from 97...

artworkz

500 RPM
Jul 3, 2008
JB
u try mantain chasing a gsr from North-South highway begin from tebrau . in half way gsr ll let u pass. coz they suffer from oil boilling. b4 i install oil cooler, i feel power loss if continue high rev for 10 min.
zac.. tis oct i jobless. gt alot free time. find a day come out TT. ur rev cut done d??