Mazda Lantis / Ford laser

Phr3ak

Known Member
May 24, 2005
Kuala Lumpur
suck big time? haha...
but cornering i think lantis is much more stabil than any other mazda cars ( i assume ) regarding the wider body and aerodynamic shape...

MitonCT26

1,000 RPM
Nov 16, 2003
Seremban
so far i have no problems getting spare parts for my 97 laser 1.6 M. my only complaint is that the bloody suspension makes irritating noise when going through rough roads. changed almost everything except the 4 absorbers and my current bill is touching RM 500 plus already + workmanship.. SiGh..

i was wondering how come you guy's FC is quite high? if drive sensibly keeping the revs below 5K i can get about 500kms per full tank on mixed driving...

Damn...it costs RM 85 for a tankful for my laser now...

engineer1

Known Member
Sep 25, 2004
Qatar
soulseaker said:
Thinking of buying one of the car above.

Ford laser should be the newer version year 95/96, mazda lantis would be the hatch back.

So want to get some idea on the car maintenance and the cash involved, car problem or anything that i chould know before buying one.

Really appreciate your help here.
go for lantis lorr....
i had for for my wife 1.6 auto, and get a 17 inch rim for her... damn under power. damn high fc. unless u go for 110km/h on the highway, u will get cost savings.
btw, anybody got spare plug cable to let go? i had a set for ford lynx which i tot can be use for my lantis but cannot. also i have front and rear disc and caliper for lantis under my desk!!

Lan Dugong

Known Member
Feb 26, 2004
Telok Panglima Garang, Selangor
hi,

my wife & i bought lynx 1.8 auto 2 years back. it's a 1995 model.yup...the FC sucks, it's underpower, idling not stabil. to reach 120kmh also is hard. but I did some minor upgrades, basically to get better FC, power goes 2nd. the reason we bought the car is actually to save cost on FC as my car drinks quite a lot.

This is what I did & we are now enjoying the ride!Good FC with more power unleashed. Yes it works.

1st I checked the spark plug. The car used NGK spark plug heat range 6...it's totally black in color...indicating rich A/F mixture...too much carbon.

so I rebuilt back the exhaust system, changed the pipe, the bullets, the rear box,except the stock exhaust manifold. changed to 2" pipe.

next, i get a cheap adjustable fuel regulator. checked the std fuel pressure was 35psi with the stock fuel pump & stock fuel regulator. Brought the pressure to 30psi with the adjustable fuel regulator.
Checked the plug, ok a bit but still dark. car feels lighter.FC still not satisfying.

I bought from a friend, a single button Apexi AFC. installed it and set it to -10%. then we're talking more power here! car easily reach 140kmh. 160kmh is also possible.

then i started to use the heat range 5 ngk spark plugs. a little at the hotter side. the plug burned a bronze color head.

later, bought from a fren the K&N drop in element.used for few months. i also threw everything that connects to the air fliter box, made a simple direct cold air intake...colder air, good for the engine to breath....gegegegege...

with that, 17" rims with 205/40 rubbers went in, the car is able to go 170kmh..a little hard to push to 180kmh. FC is satisfying.

Somewhere middle last year, I've decided to upgrade the piggy fuel mgmt to the Apexi SAFC blue screen. A fren sold one to me. Sold of the single button. Installed the blue screen. tuned it myself.

with NGK 5 plugs, it's yellowish to bronze.

even much better FC with better powercurve. felt the difference. still, 180kmh is slightly easier to push but that's the most. can't go anymore.

early this year, sold of the 17" to my bro driving sampan bpt. bought 16" wheels. Car feels much lighter.

Currently, we are happy with the car. Now my wife complains on the fuel price. but the car is doing somewhere 90km to 100km per 10 liters of petrol.

I got an idea from someone to check whether the O2 sensor is doing ok or kong already...if the O2 sensor faulty, that could also caused the high FC.

....i'm thinking of getting an e-supercharger for her...gegegege...just to achieve topspeed much faster...still holding on with the plan.

Lan Dugong

Known Member
Feb 26, 2004
so check your spark plugs. if it's dark black, get the a/f ratio tuned. I think C&C and Ford Concessioners can retune back the a/f ratio for a price because they have the proper tools to do it. I dont think its too expensive.

Rich a/f ratio also will cause a lot of carbons in the internal engine parts & the exhaust pipes....will create something like high cholestrol blood vein...:regular_smile:

Mazda Lantis & ford lynx is a good car. never regretted buying it.

NiJ

500 RPM
Nov 16, 2004
Visit site
dont ever go to C&C to do anything they will cheat u left right and center
they`ll fucking slaughter you ...... they wanted RM 15,000
for a fucking ECU..... which i got in the end for 300 bucks from the halfcut
shop.... they wanted RM 5000 for a halfcut gearbox not including workmanship and wanted RM 1500 to fix in the fucking ECU
which i did on my own in less than 15 minutes for 1.50 cents (cost of
the drink while doing it myself) they were selling one peice driveshafts
for RM 2000 .... which i could get myself brand spanking NEW from RM 700.
AND WORD OF CAUTION DONT EVER FUCKING LET THEM EVEN TOUCH URE
CAR CUZ THE NEXT THING U KNOW URE GONNA HAF A 5,000 DOLLAR
BILL FOR SOMETHING THATS STILL WORKING.well somehow in the end
they managed to con RM 100 out of me .... much to my disliking.....
so pls spread the message..... i dont think they have changed one bit.

still the best alternative is to go find the ex C&C pple who have the proper diagnostic equipment.... for the mazda/ford/mercedes, quite a few of them are currently operating privately......... cuz C & C is such a SLAUGHTER
HOUSE......... well tho they r a little bit expensive........ at least u wont
get RIPPED OF RM 1000 for something that would cost u 1.50...
fucking hell.... RM 5000 for a 2nd hand gbox..... they wanted RM 20,000
for new........ which i could haf got myself 2nd hand for THE MAX PRICE
INCLUDING DRIVESHAFTS, CROSSMEMBERS....ETC RM 2K, more like 1.2 K
...... SO PLEASE TELL URE FRENS AND FAMILY HOW FUCKED UP C & C IS.

this is my horrror story....... ive HEARD EVEN WORSE.

Lan Dugong said:
so check your spark plugs. if it's dark black, get the a/f ratio tuned. I think C&C and Ford Concessioners can retune back the a/f ratio for a price because they have the proper tools to do it. I dont think its too expensive.

Rich a/f ratio also will cause a lot of carbons in the internal engine parts & the exhaust pipes....will create something like high cholestrol blood vein...:regular_smile:

Mazda Lantis & ford lynx is a good car. never regretted buying it.

Lan Dugong

Known Member
Feb 26, 2004
hmmm...i actually heard about it as well. so now we've already got the real experience from someone here. frankly, i wouldnt go there myself. it's just a thought thou about going there. if that's the case, then dont go.
if i'm not mistaken abang edie has that diagnosis meter. he works at c&c and do part time jobs at home converting and diong minor repairs.

anyway, back to the topic, check your a/f ratio. it's due to rich mixture. especially the auto gb.

b00n

3,000 RPM
Aug 16, 2005
KL
there's quite a few with the diagnosis software; but no one had the tools to retune the car ECU bside C&C........*sigh*...

I know bout the RM15,000 ECU, cos I also kenak.......phoned in and asked bout it, even the sales advise "U pegi cari kat kedai potong" which I got for RM900.
But I think the air/fuel is incorrect(Japan mah); so need someone to tune the car........
any advise??

badmotorfinger

Dec 7, 2005
hi, im looking at at 1.6 auto Mazda Lantis. Current petrol price at 1.92, what is the full tank and FC for an unmodded stock lantis? :)

kfze

Known Member
Apr 28, 2005
Recommend to get a lantis 1.8 auto. Reasonable power, and FC not bad.

You will get an ABS in it, while 1.6 do not ABS.

Also, anothre advantage is, u can upgrade much easier (either to B8 or KF).

JPJ sure pass.

Lantis is a good car. Design still in touch. And best thing is, its solid. Its value for money. In japan, lantis is still popular. I got the lantis japanese lantis gathering pics as recent as in Dec 2005.

So, just get it. Spare parts ..... berlambak !!! Price : reasonable. Who tell u price and parts are expensive and difficult to find, get them to call me.

YOu must speak to a driver, not non-drivers.

Cheers !

IronJ

Known Member
Oct 6, 2004
anyone is selling lantis?... how much and manufacturer yr?...

badmotorfinger

Dec 7, 2005
any lantis 1.6 auto users here? what is yr FC? how many km for full tank?

yes, i have a fren, drives this car, he said FC is really high. he cant tell me how many KM cuz he shares with his mom. on average, a full tank for him will last 2-3 days, if its his mom drivin it, 4-5 days. i need the numbers.

no doubt, i do concur its a solid car, good design, but with the petrol price at this rate, id rather find a 1.8 manual. thanks kfze for the input.

Last edited:

kfze

Known Member
Apr 28, 2005
Unfortunately, there is no manual transmission for 1.8 in malaysia. If they have, sure got lots more turbo monster in a lantis body.

C&C only brings in auto version for 1.8.

I think 1.6 manual also not bad. Power reasonable, and consumption good. A close fren drove a lantis 1.6 manual, and he is getting from 450 - 480 km for a full tank of 45 litres. Thats freaking good fuel consumption numbers.

This is the malaysian lantis club.

Cheers !

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

hi anyone can suggest me the brand of imported or high quality 2" mid box and bullet available in malaysia? i saw brand "sebring" 2 inch mid box and looks like good quality. i wonder if there are other brands also? are there HKS or Apexi 2" bullet or midbox on the market other than the mufflers?

sorry for being ignorance:D.im trying to mod my kelisa exhaust with high quality products
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience