Mazda Lantis / Ford laser

soulseaker

500 RPM
Mar 22, 2005
Thinking of buying one of the car above.

Ford laser should be the newer version year 95/96, mazda lantis would be the hatch back.

So want to get some idea on the car maintenance and the cash involved, car problem or anything that i chould know before buying one.

Really appreciate your help here.

IronJ

Known Member
Oct 6, 2004
any idea for the price for the Mazda Lantis?... i'm also thinking of get 1 for myself... anyone out there know the price, the loan and the interest?..

Phr3ak

Known Member
May 24, 2005
Kuala Lumpur
i would recommend u to buy a mazda lantis.

Nevertheless ford laser is nice, but trust me... ford spare parts are very hard to get. But the newer version of laser, i dunno la...

But Mazda spareparts are expensive (if u compare with proton la).... But the avaibality of parts are high... Coz in Japan, they are still manufacturing it...

One driveshaft oso, would cost u around 350-450 for a re-cond one....

Cheers!

IronJ

Known Member
Oct 6, 2004
any idea who's selling Mazda Lantis?... what's the price?... how much to loan?... how many yrs loan?... and what's the interest?...

Khorne

500 RPM
Dec 4, 2003
PJ
Visit site
Yes Mazda and Fords do share most of the mechanical parts...
They're abundant, but it takes patience to find a good deal...

ondgennis

Known Member
Sep 29, 2004
Malacca
most of the part for lantis n ford are interchangeable. do dont worry about the part.

for mazda lantis, the main problem is the frameless windows. if the previous owner didnt take care well it, do expect come problem from there. so before buying, pls double check it.

best way is take out the car for testing. drive around 100kmh to see any wind leak or not. if possible spray water n check for water leaking.

1.6 auto lantis will has underpower problem n high FC. so if possible get the 1.8 but all malaysia 1.8 lantis is auto. except those already convert.

IronJ

Known Member
Oct 6, 2004
so the 1.8 auto also high FC?... how about the FC for 1.6 manual?...

ondgennis

Known Member
Sep 29, 2004
Malacca
i would said the FC for 1.8 is much better becasue u still has the power compare to the 1.6

for 1.6 manual, it still ok but dont expect fuel economy from it. the FC for my bro's lantis sedan is around RM10 for 60km before petrol increase at city.

try to find those lantis already convert to 2.0 v6. some friend using it now, full tank 45 liter able to travel up to 400km. then u has high torque n high hp :)

b00n

3,000 RPM
Aug 16, 2005
KL
ong.....ur B8 FC how???
Lantis is heavy so B8 in Lantis compared to B8 in other models has higher FC?

ondgennis

Known Member
Sep 29, 2004
Malacca
my fc ha...
very cun now
RM50 for 200km :(

regarding the FC for other B8 in other chassis, i think mostly is depend to the mod in the car. some proven that with bigger turbo the FC is actually better compare to the stock one becasue they boost kick in later.mean that during normal drive the car wont boost at low rev

Last edited:

NiJ

500 RPM
Nov 16, 2004
Visit site
There are a couple of Lantis B8 Turbos for sale From yr 2000 - 1997
all maintained very well... gimme a buzz if ure intrested....
012-377-1800

Phr3ak

Known Member
May 24, 2005
Kuala Lumpur
suck big time? haha...
but cornering i think lantis is much more stabil than any other mazda cars ( i assume ) regarding the wider body and aerodynamic shape...

MitonCT26

1,000 RPM
Nov 16, 2003
Seremban
so far i have no problems getting spare parts for my 97 laser 1.6 M. my only complaint is that the bloody suspension makes irritating noise when going through rough roads. changed almost everything except the 4 absorbers and my current bill is touching RM 500 plus already + workmanship.. SiGh..

i was wondering how come you guy's FC is quite high? if drive sensibly keeping the revs below 5K i can get about 500kms per full tank on mixed driving...

Damn...it costs RM 85 for a tankful for my laser now...

engineer1

Known Member
Sep 25, 2004
Qatar
soulseaker said:
Thinking of buying one of the car above.

Ford laser should be the newer version year 95/96, mazda lantis would be the hatch back.

So want to get some idea on the car maintenance and the cash involved, car problem or anything that i chould know before buying one.

Really appreciate your help here.
go for lantis lorr....
i had for for my wife 1.6 auto, and get a 17 inch rim for her... damn under power. damn high fc. unless u go for 110km/h on the highway, u will get cost savings.
btw, anybody got spare plug cable to let go? i had a set for ford lynx which i tot can be use for my lantis but cannot. also i have front and rear disc and caliper for lantis under my desk!!

Lan Dugong

Known Member
Feb 26, 2004
Telok Panglima Garang, Selangor
hi,

my wife & i bought lynx 1.8 auto 2 years back. it's a 1995 model.yup...the FC sucks, it's underpower, idling not stabil. to reach 120kmh also is hard. but I did some minor upgrades, basically to get better FC, power goes 2nd. the reason we bought the car is actually to save cost on FC as my car drinks quite a lot.

This is what I did & we are now enjoying the ride!Good FC with more power unleashed. Yes it works.

1st I checked the spark plug. The car used NGK spark plug heat range 6...it's totally black in color...indicating rich A/F mixture...too much carbon.

so I rebuilt back the exhaust system, changed the pipe, the bullets, the rear box,except the stock exhaust manifold. changed to 2" pipe.

next, i get a cheap adjustable fuel regulator. checked the std fuel pressure was 35psi with the stock fuel pump & stock fuel regulator. Brought the pressure to 30psi with the adjustable fuel regulator.
Checked the plug, ok a bit but still dark. car feels lighter.FC still not satisfying.

I bought from a friend, a single button Apexi AFC. installed it and set it to -10%. then we're talking more power here! car easily reach 140kmh. 160kmh is also possible.

then i started to use the heat range 5 ngk spark plugs. a little at the hotter side. the plug burned a bronze color head.

later, bought from a fren the K&N drop in element.used for few months. i also threw everything that connects to the air fliter box, made a simple direct cold air intake...colder air, good for the engine to breath....gegegegege...

with that, 17" rims with 205/40 rubbers went in, the car is able to go 170kmh..a little hard to push to 180kmh. FC is satisfying.

Somewhere middle last year, I've decided to upgrade the piggy fuel mgmt to the Apexi SAFC blue screen. A fren sold one to me. Sold of the single button. Installed the blue screen. tuned it myself.

with NGK 5 plugs, it's yellowish to bronze.

even much better FC with better powercurve. felt the difference. still, 180kmh is slightly easier to push but that's the most. can't go anymore.

early this year, sold of the 17" to my bro driving sampan bpt. bought 16" wheels. Car feels much lighter.

Currently, we are happy with the car. Now my wife complains on the fuel price. but the car is doing somewhere 90km to 100km per 10 liters of petrol.

I got an idea from someone to check whether the O2 sensor is doing ok or kong already...if the O2 sensor faulty, that could also caused the high FC.

....i'm thinking of getting an e-supercharger for her...gegegege...just to achieve topspeed much faster...still holding on with the plan.

Lan Dugong

Known Member
Feb 26, 2004
Telok Panglima Garang, Selangor
so check your spark plugs. if it's dark black, get the a/f ratio tuned. I think C&C and Ford Concessioners can retune back the a/f ratio for a price because they have the proper tools to do it. I dont think its too expensive.

Rich a/f ratio also will cause a lot of carbons in the internal engine parts & the exhaust pipes....will create something like high cholestrol blood vein...:regular_smile:

Mazda Lantis & ford lynx is a good car. never regretted buying it.

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Grown up BRZ now makes 231ps / 279nm from brand new NA 2.4L flat-4. It retains the front engine RWD configuration but the coupe body has been further lightened, also tightened, with a 50% increase in overall rigidity while boasting a lower centre of gravity.

The chassis has been retuned as well, with a wider rear track and reinforced suspension mounting points. The launch model feature 18"...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience