Lancer- loss of power

Harrytech

Apr 24, 2012
New Zealand
I have a 2002 Lancer wagon, 1.8lt 4G93T, sometimes the car has no power at all, it can happen any time, one minute it is fine and the next you stop at intersection and when you go to accelerate away it is very flat, almost no throttle, if you push your foot to the floor nothing happens, engine does not pick up speed, and if you throttle off I hear a popping sound like there is pressure releasing, you can do this several times and get the same sound. Then further down the road it sorts itself out.
Weird?, the car is factory stock, no modifications.
Anybody got any ideas?

Cheers Harry

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
Misfiring? Have you checked your spark plugs? Coils?

Or worse, check your engine oil dipstick and see if you see a chocolately mix there. If yes you've got a blown headgasket.

ehdrian

I Don't Care!
Dec 14, 2006
Penang
wat's the boost reading when u WOT?

Harrytech

Apr 24, 2012
New Zealand
Car is stock so does not have a boost gauge, spark plugs are new and correct ones I checked, does not feel like it is misfiring just very low power.
Engine oil looks fine. If i drive like 10km it will do it 5 or 6 times maybe, depends on how many times i stop and start. You dont even have to stop for it to happen just slowing down and then trying to accelerate it can happen.

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
Out of curiousity have you ever changed any of the sensors? It sounds like it might be a sensor problem, probably MAP/MAF.

Oh wait - most basic thing to try, reset ECU. Either by the shop using some OBDII device or unplug the battery for at least an hour and plug it back after that.

DarkAccoon

500 RPM
Nov 18, 2003
I drive a 1998 Putra which uses the 4G93 engine and had the same problems as you.

Symptoms were: At lower range of RPM, there seem to be misfiring and the car jerks. Lost of power and even the air conditioning is not cold at times.

Did many things to try to rectify it which includes:
- Changing my plugs
- overhauling the engine
- change my gearbox oil
- etc.

Ended up, the solution to the problem was a change of plug cables. Apparently mine has degraded and current no longer flow smoothly.

After changing my cables, car power has been restored, no longer jerking and surprisingly..... air-cond is cold.

Harrytech

Apr 24, 2012
New Zealand
Ok Izso, have never heard of reseting the ECU, can it be done by just unplugging the battery for an hour?
As for the faulty spark plug leads my car does not have them, just coil packs, but they are definetly worth checking.

Cheers Harry

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
Ok Izso, have never heard of reseting the ECU, can it be done by just unplugging the battery for an hour?
As for the faulty spark plug leads my car does not have them, just coil packs, but they are definetly worth checking.

Cheers Harry
Personally, I'd rather have a diagnostic tool connected to reset the error codes if any. But some swear by the battery disconnect method and some even suggest to unplug overnight. It supposedly forces the car to relearn everything.

The plug leads is a good idea too

Harrytech

Apr 24, 2012
New Zealand
Have fitted the 4 new coils but has made no difference, the engine pinks a little bit sometimes and I can only get 96 octane, when the engines pinks does the anti knock sensor retard the timing and make the engine make less power?. Can I retard the timing by adjusting the crank angle sensor on the exhaust cam, does it have slotted holes so it can be adjusted?. Engine is 4G93T GDI 1.8.
Really want to get rid of the pinking!

vr2turbo

((( God Level 30,000 RPM )))
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Personally, I'd rather have a diagnostic tool connected to reset the error codes if any. But some swear by the battery disconnect method and some even suggest to unplug overnight. It supposedly forces the car to relearn everything.

The plug leads is a good idea too
Unplug battery terminal only force the ECU to relearn but cannot reset any fault codes......

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Hi members,

I'm happy to be in the memberlist of this forum.

Now, I've just bought a Proton Saga LMST 1.3(M), year 2005.

In order to take a good care of the engine and performance, I would love to get good parts for the car.

I'm in the plan of changing a good spark plug. Anyone here can recommend me a good plug? I heard Bosch Platinum +4 is a hell of outstanding performance plug. Is that true and how much does it cost over here in Malaysia?

Your reply will be helpful for me...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience