Izzit true bot will affect reliability? How severe will be affected actually?

• See what others are reading now! Try Forums > Current Activity
  • Search function more powerful with google results! Try Search

Search

virqai

Known Member
Dec 30, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
the only thing i always see...if turbo engine,TURBO coz will make engine kong and if vvt engine,VVT will make engine kong...then???
ieyang tuwe`k.....sorry if i'm wrong...

Jac83

Known Member
Apr 29, 2007
In short reliability for bot will not be much of an issue if u get all the parts right with proper tuning and maintainence. Do bear in mind though a na engine is always at it's best when used as it is thus by bot even with all the tuning and parts replacement, in the end U'll still be shortening the lifespan of the engine as well as accelerating the tear and wear. That is the fact.

Veloc

3,000 RPM
May 19, 2010
Sabah
I would set aside RM10k for a proper job with almost no recon / halfcut parts. I don't trust those type of parts unless it's a aircon compressor or something unimportant. halfcut pistons, turbos or cranks - that's scary unless you know how to look out for the lemons.
Seeing this makes me sad la... Are used parts really that bad? I am thinking of using everything new except for crankshaft and conrods. Because I heard my 4AFE can fit in 4AGZE crankshaft and rods easily. Pistons will get new of course. Im just aiming for low boost also like our bro here, so actually no need to change crankshaft. But I was thinking if I overhaul my engine, might as well put in a tough part there just for safety.

So what do you guys think? Original crankshaft (not meant for boost) more reliable or a used supercharged crankshaft (means for boost) is more reliable???

ixeo

4,000 RPM
Jun 26, 2005
KL, Malaysia
I'll suggest u go for a full engine transplant if u wish to turbo your myvi. Reliability and cost wise, bot will always falls behind a full engine transplant. A bot will set u back at least 10k doesn't matter whether u are go for low boost or high assuming u are getting all parts new. Higher boost will cost u more. For full engine transplant will cost u roughly about 9k, k3-vet halfcut- around 6k, labor and workmanship about 1.5k, overhaul with internal tear n wear replacement- around 1.5k but in return u get a peace of mind while boosting on the road. Reliability is the key here plus cheaper to maintain in long term and cheaper overall package of course.
Depends. A BOT can be put together for the same price as an engine swap and be just as reliable if done correctly. The only tricky part is engine management. If you do it right the end result will be just as reliable as engine swap, and more powerful. The same cannot be said for the N/A's transmission be it manual or automatic. LOL.

In short reliability for bot will not be much of an issue if u get all the parts right with proper tuning and maintainence. Do bear in mind though a na engine is always at it's best when used as it is thus by bot even with all the tuning and parts replacement, in the end U'll still be shortening the lifespan of the engine as well as accelerating the tear and wear. That is the fact.
That's not a fact, that's false. The answer is it depends on the engine design. Since the guy was asking about the Daihatsu/Perodua engines, the K3-VE block is exactly the same as the K3-VET block. The conrods are exactly the same, the heads are interchangeable, the only difference on the engine is the injectors and low compression pistons.

Seeing this makes me sad la... Are used parts really that bad? I am thinking of using everything new except for crankshaft and conrods. Because I heard my 4AFE can fit in 4AGZE crankshaft and rods easily. Pistons will get new of course. Im just aiming for low boost also like our bro here, so actually no need to change crankshaft. But I was thinking if I overhaul my engine, might as well put in a tough part there just for safety.

So what do you guys think? Original crankshaft (not meant for boost) more reliable or a used supercharged crankshaft (means for boost) is more reliable???
You will need to find out if the original crankshaft is the same part as the 4AGZE crankshaft. If it is the same, then....

Jac83

Known Member
Apr 29, 2007
Depends. A BOT can be put together for the same price as an engine swap and be just as reliable if done correctly. The only tricky part is engine management. If you do it right the end result will be just as reliable as engine swap, and more powerful. The same cannot be said for the N/A's transmission be it manual or automatic. LOL.

That's not a fact, that's false. The answer is it depends on the engine design. Since the guy was asking about the Daihatsu/Perodua engines, the K3-VE block is exactly the same as the K3-VET block. The conrods are exactly the same, the heads are interchangeable, the only difference on the engine is the injectors and low compression pistons.

I was replying to the TS's enquiry, not into a particular engine, rather generally on bot topic. Most bot are done on na engine or else it will not be called bot. Anyway if u wish to highlight it in a particular way by all means. Na engine with proper maintainence can last for at least 20 years, some 30 years. But I can't say the same for bot engine though. Thus my point there. Personally i have yet to see any bot car which lasted more than 10 years. Perhaps i have yet to see it. To each their own.

ixeo

4,000 RPM
Jun 26, 2005
KL, Malaysia
Don't generalize and say BOT won't last. That's spreading unnecessary fear and misconception.

NA engines BOT that have a turbo sibling engine based on the same engine block will definitely last as long as a factory turbocharged engine, if not longer, when done right. As the factory has already done all necessary R&D on the engine itself.

A Campro BOT for example. I have no idea. Whether that block can withstand turbo or not is anybody's guess. The Campro CFE is essentially a new design and different from usual Campros according to Proton.

Alvin Lee Edwards

From Facebook
Aug 16, 2010
Cheras
www.facebook.com
Tq sifus sifus. Confirmed i'll get Accord next week. 2.0 iV-TEC
BTW i heard BOT a iVTEC is not an easy job. Pls enlighten me.

---------- Post added at 08:02 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 08:01 PM ----------

Don't generalize and say BOT won't last. That's spreading unnecessary fear and misconception.

NA engines BOT that have a turbo sibling engine based on the same engine block will definitely last as long as a factory turbocharged engine, if not longer, when done right. As the factory has already done all necessary R&D on the engine itself.

A Campro BOT for example. I have no idea. Whether that block can withstand turbo or not is anybody's guess. The Campro CFE is essentially a new design and different from usual Campros according to Proton.
So if BOT an engine with no Turbo sibling, ?

Zaid Zainuddin

From Facebook
Oct 4, 2010
www.facebook.com
bro alvin, imo if you're buying a 60k accord and then spend some 10k to slap a turbo i think better you gather those 70k and buy preve,ori turbo tau... and brand new summore...low interest for sure... or get an airtrek turbo.. so many model to chose...toyota estima also got supercharge
what i'm trying to say is,if this is your 1st time modding a car or 1st time using turbo...please consider it in stock form.if you wanna gain knowlegde from a 10k wira i can understand,but a 60k car can make ur head spin

Veloc

3,000 RPM
May 19, 2010
Sabah
bro alvin, imo if you're buying a 60k accord and then spend some 10k to slap a turbo i think better you gather those 70k and buy preve,ori turbo tau... and brand new summore...low interest for sure... or get an airtrek turbo.. so many model to chose...toyota estima also got supercharge
what i'm trying to say is,if this is your 1st time modding a car or 1st time using turbo...please consider it in stock form.if you wanna gain knowlegde from a 10k wira i can understand,but a 60k car can make ur head spin
Haha... Personally, I would buy a 60k jap car and turbo it instead of buying 70k new proton. Just light boost it.

Jac83

Known Member
Apr 29, 2007
All will boil down to your financial stability. If u got a strong background financially or got a strong financial support behind, by all means go for a used jap car and bot it. Otherwise go for a new car. Be reminded taking care of the tear n wear of a Honda is already quite tedious and rather costly not to mention taking care of bot car. I owned a Honda FYI plus a bot owner as well and I'm telling u bot is more costly than u think. Go n ask other owners. FYI again most of the bot owners here are either tuners themselves or mechanics or financially stable guys including me thus for them it is nothing for everything can be diy besides earning some as well from the likes like us. Think and plan carefully before u step into the world of bot. It addictive but also an expensive hobby to keep. Make sure u have at least 15-20k of spare cash before u embark into the world of bot. I can assure u a mere 10k will not be enough for bot alone plus u need to leave some spare for emergencies such as gb or engine kaput or a total overhaul. Just my piece of cake. Your call.

Zaid Zainuddin

From Facebook
Oct 4, 2010
www.facebook.com
Haha... Personally, I would buy a 60k jap car and turbo it instead of buying 70k new proton. Just light boost it.
haha i understand but what i'm trying to say is, is this is his 1st time playing with turbo,better play with car that original comes with turbo n play stock 1st.later can upgrade... or transplant a turbo halfcut. if wanna bot his current car its ok. but ts wanna buy a new ride and then bot it,make me think,why wanna go the long way? if he got a good budget,just go with a ori turboed car(airtrek,celica,evo6,evo7,r33,peugeot 308 etc etc)

Alvin Lee Edwards

From Facebook
Aug 16, 2010
Cheras
www.facebook.com
Jus a 30k Accord CG. Murah beb...

Veloc

3,000 RPM
May 19, 2010
Sabah
All will boil down to your financial stability. If u got a strong background financially or got a strong financial support behind, by all means go for a used jap car and bot it. Otherwise go for a new car. Be reminded taking care of the tear n wear of a Honda is already quite tedious and rather costly not to mention taking care of bot car. I owned a Honda FYI plus a bot owner as well and I'm telling u bot is more costly than u think. Go n ask other owners. FYI again most of the bot owners here are either tuners themselves or mechanics or financially stable guys including me thus for them it is nothing for everything can be diy besides earning some as well from the likes like us. Think and plan carefully before u step into the world of bot. It addictive but also an expensive hobby to keep. Make sure u have at least 15-20k of spare cash before u embark into the world of bot. I can assure u a mere 10k will not be enough for bot alone plus u need to leave some spare for emergencies such as gb or engine kaput or a total overhaul. Just my piece of cake. Your call.
Hi bro...

Just want to ask here. You used 15 - 20k to BOT a car? Some of my friends did it for just a fraction of the cost. Can I ask what is it that made the cost so high? Is it branded stuff and all brand new? Just to share a bit, I've heard of cars that got BOT for about 5 - 8k. BOT being just a light boost (~0.4 bar) and without messing with the internals. Mind to share please?

Jac83

Known Member
Apr 29, 2007
Check pinned bot forum, posted inside already, all items brand new. That is not it yet, still got a couple of items yet to be accounted for. A friendly advice, if u want to play bot, do it all the way. Why take the risk of going for used items where reliability will be an even obvious issue? Unless u are a mec or got your own workshop then it is another story. But that's just me. Currently still dealing with a couple of wear and tear issue from the suspension system of which I strongly believe arise due to the na parts unable to cope with the sudden steep increase of torque n Hp.

Zaid Zainuddin

From Facebook
Oct 4, 2010
www.facebook.com
Check pinned bot forum, posted inside already, all items brand new. That is not it yet, still got a couple of items yet to be accounted for. A friendly advice, if u want to play bot, do it all the way. Why take the risk of going for used items where reliability will be an even obvious issue? Unless u are a mec or got your own workshop then it is another story. But that's just me. Currently still dealing with a couple of wear and tear issue from the suspension system of which I strongly believe arise due to the na parts unable to cope with the sudden steep increase of torque n Hp.
not to mention the heat distribution. heard stories about radiator fan melt,even affecting the batteries and aircond hose... but imo as long u bot and do everything your tuner recommend,it'll be fine.but do all the tuner advice,don't cutting2 cost ya?

GEFORCEXTREME

Known Member
Nov 18, 2009
Kuala Lumpur
BOT merely means adding a turbo kit to a car/engine that doesn't come with one. How reliable it will be will depend on the parts used and the tuning. One can BOT his car for 3-4k, another can BOT his car with 20k. Don't expect a lot of power and reliability from the 3-4k BOT, those are sekadar boleh jalan BOT. If you wanna BOT, do it properly. My 2 cents...

---------- Post added at 11:52 AM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 11:50 AM ----------

Of course, anything if you stress it too much, its reliability will go down, and that's not only with BOT, also with other mods like NA. But if done right, I think the reliability will still be good.

ixeo

4,000 RPM
Jun 26, 2005
KL, Malaysia
with 10k-15k budget.
i rather plonk in a k20a engine than bot.
seriously.!

if you want to play turbo.
get other car.
not a honda dude.
remember this..one man's meat is another man's poison.

with enough money anything is possible. even if you want a Honda FD2R BOT to tapao GT-R in a drag race. possible. question is how much money you want to spend. :smokin:

but the Honda engineers will flip la since they didn't engineer the car to win drag races.

A Post Every 5 Mins

Dear Sifu Outside..please help me

My EVC3 controller was faulty but other part such as solenoid and etc is ok. Yesterday i bought EVC4 controller to install with other EVC3 part but i found that EVC4 only have 8 wire at bigger socket compare with EVC3 that have 9 wire at the big socket. Can anyone help me how on this matter.thank you
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Search

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience