Izzit true bot will affect reliability? How severe will be affected actually?

Alvin Lee Edwards

From Facebook
Aug 16, 2010
Cheras
www.facebook.com
I've browsed alot in zth. but alot mix answers. So my main question is :

If BOT low boost plus upgrading essential internal and parts if done professionally, just to increase the response of the car and not for race,
-CAN DRIVE LONG DISTANCE?
-HOW SEVERE WILL IT AFFECT THE CAR RELIABILITY AND LIFESPAN?
-WILL IT MORE WORTHY COMPARE TO ONLY UPGRADING STOCK ENGINE WITH BETTER PERFORMANCE
PART AND RETUNE?

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
If you just install a turbo kit on your stock engine with stock everything and boost high (anything more than 0.3~0.4 bar is high) then the answer is probably yes.

If you install a turbo kit and strengthen your internals with forged parts, metal gaskets, proper fueling, proper everything and boost reasonable amounts then the answer is no.

Doing a half assed job of a BOT will land you in trouble in most cases. So BOT wisely.

ixeo

4,000 RPM
Jun 26, 2005
KL, Malaysia
I've browsed alot in zth. but alot mix answers. So my main question is :

If BOT low boost plus upgrading essential internal and parts if done professionally, just to increase the response of the car and not for race,
-CAN DRIVE LONG DISTANCE?
-HOW SEVERE WILL IT AFFECT THE CAR RELIABILITY AND LIFESPAN?
-WILL IT MORE WORTHY COMPARE TO ONLY UPGRADING STOCK ENGINE WITH BETTER PERFORMANCE
PART AND RETUNE?
depends what is the definition of "essential internal and parts" and what is "professional"

usually if the stroke of the engine is not too long, getting some custom forged pistons or from a turbo sibling to lower compression will do the trick, the conrods should survive looking at ~0.7 bar.

done correctly the lifespan of the car will be no different from an NA, just make sure to always check engine oil and water temperature. Turbo is not harder to maintain, it is just less forgiving to negligence and lack of maintenance.

NA tuning costs more $ per hp compared to Turbo. if you have the money to spend, a 200bhp NA is better than a 200bhp turbo in certain conditions, but for street driving, a small responsive turbo that begins boosting at 2000rpm is great, examples are like the VW stables Polo, normal Golf turbos etc.

remember that 200bhp NA and 200bhp turbo can be very different in terms of power curve, NA engines usually do peak power at very high RPMs, whereas turbos, when size accordingly can produce peak torque at low RPM..and for street driving its all about the torque.

Alvin Lee Edwards

From Facebook
Aug 16, 2010
Cheras
www.facebook.com
So small turbo good for street driving, and easier to tune? If highway drive will have any side effects? I see alot Golfs' and Polos' damn ganas on the highway oso. Can a bot drive like that too?

ixeo

4,000 RPM
Jun 26, 2005
KL, Malaysia
With the right mechanic and sufficient amount of money anything is possible. With the wrong mechanic all the money in the world won't do you any good. Done correctly nothing is easy to tune, for example it takes the same amount of time to tune a closed loop boost map using haltech ps1000 on an orange supra and a persona with a bolt on turbo.

Alvin Lee Edwards

From Facebook
Aug 16, 2010
Cheras
www.facebook.com
With the right mechanic and sufficient amount of money anything is possible. With the wrong mechanic all the money in the world won't do you any good. Done correctly nothing is easy to tune, for example it takes the same amount of time to tune a closed loop boost map using haltech ps1000 on an orange supra and a persona with a bolt on turbo.
How much is Sufficient? Estimated?

peeche

Known Member
May 16, 2006
Sin City, MY
setup, tuner ability and your right foot is the answer.
even stock evo's engine can blow if slammed all the way.
:driver:

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
Aggressive tuning with no limitations set, then yes, kaboom possible.

I would set aside RM10k for a proper job with almost no recon / halfcut parts. I don't trust those type of parts unless it's a aircon compressor or something unimportant. halfcut pistons, turbos or cranks - that's scary unless you know how to look out for the lemons.

Joshua a forummer here told me to BOT, do it slowly. Buy bit by bit new, and eventually you'll have everything you need to do it one go. That way it won't hurt your pocket so bad. But you really gotta do your homework and know what it is you need to buy.

Ryuuken

Known Member
Apr 2, 2011
Subang Jaya
Well..As far as i tuned cars with BOT..
The reliability is based on the tuning skills.As a tuner,we can go beyond the car engine limits.
But do keep in mind that wear and tear will be more. And the risk that you're taking by pushing the car to a brutal level might cause your pocket to blow just to patch up wear and tears.
Its best to ask the tuner to maintain it between the lines.
Do not go crazy over HP at the same time, make the best out of the turbo kit.
It is good to use brand new parts.AND also the parts that you used must not be some 'cap ayam' brand.You'll be spending more than you buy original..haha..
I as a Haltech Tuner,I recommend you to use every single parts which is good in quality.
It'll be great for the long run and there'll be more room for expansion.

Cheers!

aranny2001

Known Member
Jun 29, 2011
Kuala Lumpur
Well..As far as i tuned cars with BOT..
The reliability is based on the tuning skills.As a tuner,we can go beyond the car engine limits.
But do keep in mind that wear and tear will be more. And the risk that you're taking by pushing the car to a brutal level might cause your pocket to blow just to patch up wear and tears.
Its best to ask the tuner to maintain it between the lines.
Do not go crazy over HP at the same time, make the best out of the turbo kit.
It is good to use brand new parts.AND also the parts that you used must not be some 'cap ayam' brand.You'll be spending more than you buy original..haha..
I as a Haltech Tuner,I recommend you to use every single parts which is good in quality.
It'll be great for the long run and there'll be more room for expansion.

Cheers!
:wavey:To:TS tumpang to ask ..

sifu, i plan to bot the new myvi 1.5 in future... the engine compression is 10:1, it is consider high to boost at max 0.5 bar? will i need to reduce the compression or change any internal parts? acutally im expecting a low safe boost or soft turbo for the car, daily driven and suit for long distance drive and wish after bot it will be as easy to maintain just like an normal auto gear NA car.. im not plan for racing but just expect slightly more torque with some nice bov sound...:adore:

Jac83

Known Member
Apr 29, 2007
:wavey:To:TS tumpang to ask ..

sifu, i plan to bot the new myvi 1.5 in future... the engine compression is 10:1, it is consider high to boost at max 0.5 bar? will i need to reduce the compression or change any internal parts? acutally im expecting a low safe boost or soft turbo for the car, daily driven and suit for long distance drive and wish after bot it will be as easy to maintain just like an normal auto gear NA car.. im not plan for racing but just expect slightly more torque with some nice bov sound...:adore:
I'll suggest u go for a full engine transplant if u wish to turbo your myvi. Reliability and cost wise, bot will always falls behind a full engine transplant. A bot will set u back at least 10k doesn't matter whether u are go for low boost or high assuming u are getting all parts new. Higher boost will cost u more. For full engine transplant will cost u roughly about 9k, k3-vet halfcut- around 6k, labor and workmanship about 1.5k, overhaul with internal tear n wear replacement- around 1.5k but in return u get a peace of mind while boosting on the road. Reliability is the key here plus cheaper to maintain in long term and cheaper overall package of course.

Last edited:

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

taiwan made bride seats are everywhere,
but is there any original japan made available in malaysia?
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience