HWL adjustables or Monroe Reflex

prodigy

2,000 RPM
Nov 15, 2003
Hi,

Need some feedback on getting a new set of suspension.

I know i shouldn't be comparing but i need opinions on both absorbers from existing users. I'm more of a comfort oriented person and my current stock absorbers are too soft and my car quite easily scrapes against the road when going thru a bumpy road. I talked to HWL salesman and apparently he can get a softer spring to match with the HWL adjustables as in stock form, HWL are actually very hard.

On the other hand, i spoke to another mechanic on Monroe Reflex and this is a more of a aftermarket replacement for stock absorbers. This is definitely a comfort oriented suspension.

The problem is, i need something thats as comfortable as my stock and yet its got to be stiff enuff so that it doesn't scrape against the road during bumpy ride and also going over bump. Please advise.

BTW, the HWL set is 2 times more expensive that the Monroe set.

wildboar

500 RPM
Jun 24, 2004
Penang
Visit site
u cant get comfort (like stock) and yet perform like aftermarket coilovers..theres always a compromise..i dun quite understand how ur car actually scrapes the road on bumpy areas...unless ur car is ultra lowered or u have very low skirtings..or do u mean ur tires are scraping ur fenders??

ur car (or tires) are scraping the road (or fenders) because the suspension is soft..in order to prevent scraping, ur suspension needs to be stiffer, which will affect ur comfort..

prodigy

2,000 RPM
Nov 15, 2003
Hi, thanks for the immediate feedback.

Here's the problem. Some if not most of our roads are very uneven and especially in the highway when you drive fast. Everytime i go over the bumpy patch, the whole car will bounce and i suspect the mud flap is the first to scrap against the ground. In fact my mud flap is already half gone. Secondly, the front bumper will also suffer some scratches.

Also, when there's 2 person sitting behind, there's some nyet...nyet sound coming from the back. Not sure if its spring or absorber but apparently the mechanic said its the sound of a bottoming absorber.

The biggest problem here is that the car is way too low. BTW, i'm driving a stock standard EJ Civic. When it goes over the bump, it sure is gonna scrap on the bodywork and also the mud flap.

All these problem leads me into wanting to buy a new set of absorber with most mechanics saying the problem lies in my original suspension which have not been changed for 120,000KM. As i mentioned, comfort is my number 1 priority but in the same time i wanna eliminate all those bumper/mudflap scraping. The way i see it, adjustables will never be as comfortable as aftermarket ones ie. monroe, tokico or kayaba.

escaflowne

1,000 RPM
May 4, 2004
Visit site
if you want comfort.My reckon is that not to go for adjustable.Even you tune the adjustable to the softest setting it is still siffer.Go for monroe and a decent spring,you need to figure out some mix and match.
Like let's say when you go over the bumpy patch of the highway,your car still bounce since it is comfort setting but not as severe as a spoiled stock abs(i have that on my car b4 too ^^),the bounce and rebounce of monroe shouldn't scratch your bumper of mud flap unless you really lowered your car too much.
For adjustable,when you over the bumpy patch of the highway,what you exp is a solid bounce of the car and land in one single shot,compare to comfort setting you may have like 2-3 residual bounce.Solid feel and of course less redunctant movement you have more control,for short the reaction is solid and spontaneous.Of course,it is hell not comfortable at all.
my 2 kupang~~^_^

gavan

1,000 RPM
Apr 14, 2004
Shah Alam
Visit site
hmm, maybe you can go for a set of titans :D but i bet is way out of your budget too :D so the next bet should be another set of either an orginal absorbers plus springs from another honda, or just get a custom set which you could set your height and also your comfort level(eg: Gabs) :D just my opinion larr, cause you could alwiz opt. for higher suspensions instead of stiffer ones :D

prodigy

2,000 RPM
Nov 15, 2003
I thought so too. There should be no way a stock absorber that allows a car body to scrape thru a road in a bounce. I think i'll just go for Monroe Reflex. BTW, do you guys know where can i get good priced Monroe. My regular mechanic quoted me RM 215 per piece. Anywhere else i can find these absorbers?

gavan

1,000 RPM
Apr 14, 2004
Shah Alam
Visit site
i have to disagree on the thing you mentioned that stock absorbers wouldnt allow scraping, actually some models to :D like the 306, its kinda low, or maybe the one my dad got was kinda low(bought it new tho) and sometimes over certain humps, the bottom would scrape a lil, but i guess in your case, its either the springs or the absorbers are gone, either that or the previous owner cut/lowered the original springs :D cant tell tho, butthen i bet if you change your absorbers and springs, might give you a higher ride, if you got those higher ones and not sport springs or something :D

prodigy

2,000 RPM
Nov 15, 2003
The car is definitely not lowered. What pisses me off is that on normal roads, when the car goes over a bumpy stretch, it'll scrape. Its not so much of going over humps.

gavan

1,000 RPM
Apr 14, 2004
Shah Alam
Visit site
owh, lolz, maybe its just the long mudflaps, i remmeber my frens citroen and also my frens satria has excessive long mud flaps and it tend to scrape the ground on bumpy roads and also humps, so erm, try removing them and see how it goes :D

SkYwAlKeR

Over 10,000 RPM!
Mar 12, 2005
ePoh ~ malacca
Visit site
gavan said:
owh, lolz, maybe its just the long mudflaps, i remmeber my frens citroen and also my frens satria has excessive long mud flaps and it tend to scrape the ground on bumpy roads and also humps, so erm, try removing them and see how it goes :D
mudflaps are quite cheap 'indicators' that ur underbody car gonna scrape the road ma... thats the early warning sign...

try eibach springs... comfort plus not too low...

wildboar

500 RPM
Jun 24, 2004
Penang
Visit site
prodigy, sounds like ur absorbers are dead...the weight of ur car is probably being beared by the springs alone...try remove ur absorbers, compress them down..i bet they will not rebound back up to original position..they will just stay compressed and will take forever to rebound back (if it ever does)...ur solution is to just get back a set of OEM abs..if ur springs are stock, then just change the abs..if ur springs are cut, u might wanna change that too..monroe's are pretty good for comfort..i used it before..

prodigy

2,000 RPM
Nov 15, 2003
Thanks for the feedbacks guys.

Getting some prices for Monroe Reflex. Apparently it costs about RM 230 per piece for front and back. Anyone here knows where i can buy cheaper?

wildboar

500 RPM
Jun 24, 2004
Penang
Visit site
prodigy said:
Thanks for the feedbacks guys.

Getting some prices for Monroe Reflex. Apparently it costs about RM 230 per piece for front and back. Anyone here knows where i can buy cheaper?
wats ur ride? i think RM230/pc sounds kinda high..a complete set wud cost u almost RM1k..add in a bit more, u can get coilovers..but mine was monroe sensatrac..i think sensatrac is for sagas/iswaras & reflex for wiras..just different name for different models..but when i bought it abt 2yrs ago, it cost me abt RM500 for the full set fron & rear..but dats for iswara..mebe the price has increased since then...happy hunting..

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Just replace the rear muffler with a straight flow unit.....the problem is it sound quite nice and bassy when at idle to mid rev range.....but once the engine run to high rev range the engine sound more loud then the exhaust sound....does removing the centre bullet can help this,what about the performance?

fyi,the ride is a Kenari with 1.8 inch piping,cylinder centre bullet and straight through rear muffler with a L9 Turbo engine coupled with a TD04 turbine ~

Thanks for any info ~ =)
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience