How to determine Rear wheel or Front Wheel drive?

yytellmey

Oct 11, 2005
How to determine wherever ur car is front wheel drive, rear wheel drive or 4WD??

please dont tell me jack up my car and look at the bottom...i dont have the tools to do so...

is that any ways to determine?

TQ in advice

ehaab

500 RPM
Jul 3, 2005
Malaysia
i think the easiest way to tell a Front wheel drive is that the engine block is set horizontally..
and for a Rear wheel drive the engine block is in vertical position.

Most front wheel drive vehicles today feature transverse engine mounting.
In automotive engineering, the term transverse refers to an engine in which the crankshaft is oriented side-to-side relative to the wheels of the vehicle. Most front wheel drive vehicles use this engine orientation, while most rear wheel drive vehicles use a front-to-back longitudinal arrangement.
(from wikipedia)..

jimmylim85

500 RPM
Nov 24, 2005
It might silly... The most easy way is to do 1st Gear will spin... where you rev about 4krpm and release clucth quickly.... you will notice either front or back tyre start slipping on the road.... adviseable... do it on wet road.... wont hurt much on your tyre... Or else bent down and see whether is there a long shaft going thru the rear, if yes then is Rear Drive.... if none most probably is Front Drive.

huakenny

LB Performance
Feb 24, 2005
Kota Kinabalu
Visit site
yytellmey said:
How to determine wherever ur car is front wheel drive, rear wheel drive or 4WD??

please dont tell me jack up my car and look at the bottom...i dont have the tools to do so...

is that any ways to determine?

TQ in advice
tel us ur car model n we tel u ur car is FF,FR,MR o 4WD

most cars r FF - kenari,kelisa,proton.....

AccordRacing

2,000 RPM
Feb 2, 2005
kepong
www.zhapalang.com.my
if got long shaft then its will be FR or 4WD
if engine at the rear seat will be MR
others wise mostly FF

Last edited:

jimmylim85

500 RPM
Nov 24, 2005
most sedan car are FF for sure... cheap production... for VAN and pickup lorry... usually is FR because loading is at the rear side...need power to push the vehicle....

acbc

4,000 RPM
Jan 9, 2004
KD
No need to jack the car up... just peek underneath will do. If there is a longshaft + differential at the rear... it is FR.

Another method is what ehaab mentioned. But some cars, particularly older Saab and all Audi have the engine mounted longitudinaly and yet, it is FF.

cyclonite

500 RPM
Nov 27, 2003
ehaab said:
i think the easiest way to tell a Front wheel drive is that the engine block is set horizontally..
and for a Rear wheel drive the engine block is in vertical position.

Most front wheel drive vehicles today feature transverse engine mounting.
In automotive engineering, the term transverse refers to an engine in which the crankshaft is oriented side-to-side relative to the wheels of the vehicle. Most front wheel drive vehicles use this engine orientation, while most rear wheel drive vehicles use a front-to-back longitudinal arrangement.
(from wikipedia)..
Hey ehaab.... CORRECTION!

horizontal = transverse
vertical = longtitudal

There are FF cars in the market with longitudally(vertical) mounted engines also such as the new Audi A4. Reason being the engine mountings will last much longer if the engine moves in an axis perpendicular to that of the driven wheels.

Anyway for me the easiest way to tell a front wheel car from rear wheel is by looking at the rims. Rear wheel drive cars normally have negative offset rims, front wheel have positive offset rims.

kRiminaLz

500 RPM
Aug 5, 2004
Docklands/SAlam
Visit site
a short one!...

FR- the engine facing front to back.. engine is at ur front bonnet.wif a longshaft n differential underneath.
MR- the engine is at the back of the car.. no longshaft needed (depends)
4WD- engine is at the front, its either facing front to back or side by side of ur left n right front tyres, with a longshaft underneath, n a differential at the back end.
FF- no longshaft, engine at the front.. prone to oversteer..

the easiest way is to launch ur car at 1st gear at a high rpm... c which of the tyres spins 1st.. hehehe..:biggrin:

lozo

500 RPM
Sep 26, 2004
Petaling Jaya
Visit site
the tunnel is way higher in FR cars, engine is mounted longitudinally, differential is separated with the gearbox with a propeller shaft/long shaft

Last edited:

xrickx

Apr 10, 2005
There is a way that i once tried. Move ur car to place where has grass.Make sure that the rear wheels of your car is on the grass and the front is on tar.Turn your steering wheel either to the left or right and hold it there. Than do a wheel spin...

ehaab

500 RPM
Jul 3, 2005
Malaysia
cyclonite said:
Hey ehaab.... CORRECTION!

horizontal = transverse
vertical = longtitudal

There are FF cars in the market with longitudally(vertical) mounted engines also such as the new Audi A4. Reason being the engine mountings will last much longer if the engine moves in an axis perpendicular to that of the driven wheels.

Anyway for me the easiest way to tell a front wheel car from rear wheel is by looking at the rims. Rear wheel drive cars normally have negative offset rims, front wheel have positive offset rims.

yes..thnx..was at first tryin to put it in my own words...the second paragraph was tken from another page..to clarify it..

SkYwAlKeR

Over 10,000 RPM!
Mar 12, 2005
ePoh ~ malacca
Visit site
wahahah... but not all cars are listed in google lar... usually we cannot find proton specs in internet one...

if check ur how ur engine is mounted, FF and 4wd has the same direction wo.... how to check??.... if look under the car and got long long drive shaft, mayb its FR or 4wd also wo... if do wheel spin on wet road, no tyre marking done on the road wo... how leh??...

solution is also do wheel spin, but ask ur friend see from outside... wahhaha... see how many wheels are spinning...

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Well known graphic designer Jon Sibal came up with these renderings of the Mclaren MP4-12C GTR. He used several different classic liveries like Fina, Gulf and Marlboro. It's unlikely that the Mclaren MP4-12C GTR will ever be adorned in these liveries, in fact we don't even know if the MP4-12C will be competing in races (though we have absolutely no doubt that Mclaren will contest the car), but...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience