How to determine Rear wheel or Front Wheel drive?

• See what others are reading now! Try Forums > Current Activity
  • Search function more powerful with google results! Try Search
sorry if it is a bit silly for my point here... last time i juz observed the spinning wheels pattern 2 determine its drive formation... juz example, i notice that most ff car their front wheels spinning pattern is faster than rear wheels, it looked like they cant get any grip on da road while da rear wheels spinning pattern is like align with da road surface... same to fr car, their rear wheels spinning pattern are faster than front wheels...

NOTE: car movement is normal where it is not heavy foot pedal b4 da clutch release...

PS: i juz share my view point here... pls dont fire me... >.<

BlackSamurai said:
1 more question from newbie , how to differentiate 4WD and AWD without looking at the spec of the car?

Thanks in advance. :D

easy one la...4WD is for BIG 4x4's only...AWD..for cars la...

hahahaha..damn difiicult without the specs la.. :dancing2: :tee:

Some cars are easily identifiable... take a Mitsubishi Galant E39A (VR4) for example. Just look at the rear disc brake calipers... if it is angled upwards (approx 45 deg), it is AWD model. If same level as front brake calipers, it is NOT AWD (aka E33A).

cyclonite said:
Like I said the best way is just to look at the rims. See the offset as what i've posted above. that's quick and easy.

Another way is to drive it arounds corners and feel whether the car oversteers or understeers la.

U hav to carry a certain amount of speed to experience the obvious understeer or oversteer. Otherwise u'll jus feel the same.

N it's dangerous...

Actually in my opinion, as u learn more bout cars u tend to recognise wic model is FF. FR or 4WD. N also recognise wic brand of car emphasize more on FF, FR or 4WD cars. Then by tat time u dun need to bent down or open bonnet or jack up ur car to know wat drivetrain it's using. Of coz there'll be a couple of rare cars wic we don know the specs...Then spend some time reading or asking or bent down to look wat's underneath(if u hav a chance to c the car)...

e.g: BMW or mercs cars always FR n Evos r famous for the 4WD.

another question, i thought the latest Evo MR is AWD?

put on a dyno. see which wheel spin

4WD and AWD will have 4 wheel spinning if you put on dyno.
am i right? another new question from newbie.

BlackSamurai said:
another question, i thought the latest Evo MR is AWD?

hey man..ur last question..was it meant to be a sarcastic one or was it on purpose..

if u were serious..here is a serious answer..

Full time four wheel drive (not to be confused with: part time 4WD ) is a system that powers all four wheels at all times. Each tire creates about 25% of the available torque when the ground is level with a consistant surface. Driver has a choice of a "4-high" (that's your every day setting) and "4-low".

When "4-low" is selected the wheels create substantially more torque (on a Grand Cherokee its 2.72 times more) than in "4-high" - at the same time the vehicle moves at substantially slower speeds (2.72 times slower on J GC).

Important: "4-low" does not create more traction - it creates more torque and that can be detrimental when traction is marginal. Slipping tires are more likely in "low" than in "high"!

The low setting is an advantage for drivers who need to tow and maneuver a heavy trailer etc. and for drivers who at one point or another may want to negotiate difficult off-road terrain, when more torque and/or slower speed is needed.

All wheel drive is a system that powers all four wheels of a vehicle at all times as well. Full time symmetric AWD would be the best term to be used. Difference to full time 4WD is that a "4-low" setting is not available in AWD cars. Due to the lack of "low range" AWD vehicles are much less capable in off-road settings than full time 4WD vehicles, but work perfectly well on-road.

Recently some new "automatic" AWD systems have emerged. Fancy names like "Real Time 4WD" are hiding the fact that they are essentially sophisticated 2WD systems. Automatic asymmetric AWD would be the best term for them. They are much less capable in off-road settings than full time AWD systems and inferior to full time 4WD. However, automatic asymetrical AWD is becoming more and more sophisticated and offers pretty much everything consumers expect for everyday (pavement) driving.

Here is how they work: During traction loss on the driven axle (could be front or rear) a fully automatic system (hydraulic, mechanical or electronic) routes torque to the axle with traction. This means you have to completely lose traction in 2WD on your driven axle first and then the other axle will take over and try to keep the car moving. So, for a moment you have 4WD (AWD). Doesn't mean much because only two wheels have traction. Once the primary driven axle regains traction and both axles rotate at the same speed again, the system reverts back to 2WD.

(answer was googled)

for ehaab, acbc, kher and everyone that reply this thread,

I'm sorry if my posting sound sarcastic to you all, I seriously wanted to find out the way to differentiate 4WD and AWD.

As far as I know, the old-time 4WD (PAJERO, LAND CRUISER, CRV, VITARA and etc) will have 2 gear knob in the cabin, 1 for the rear and the other for the front (correct me if I'm wrong)

pajero-gear.jpg

Pajero Gear knob

Where as AWD that I know (MURANO and etc) only have 1 gear knob in the cabin.
allopen.jpg

Murano Gear knob

BUT i can't confirm is that the way to differentiate 4WD and AWD for dummies like me.

ehaab, thanks for the tehnical info, but still, is Evo MR a 4WD or AWD?

Last edited:
AWD = full time 4WD so there isn't an option to switch to 2WD

4WD will have the knob.

cyclonite, thanks for the info.

to distinguish whether the car is front wheel drive, rear wheel drive or 4 wheel drive, check the back of the wheel to see whether the drive shaft is there or not.

front wheel drive = drift shaft at front wheel
rear wheel drive = drift shaft at the rear wheel
4 wheel drive = drift shaft at all 4 wheel

4wd and awd, can i put it example like the Evo and Imprezza? Evo's 4wd gearbox capable to be switched into 2 wheel drive system (like how the wira conversion did where as the Imprezza's awd is full time all wheel drive? for all i know, a Daihatsu Mira 4wd is capable to switch to 2wd (FF) when 4wd is not needed..

Plenty of ways to tell...

1. Know the cars well.
2. Drive your car hard and 'feel'
3. Do a 1st gear wheelspin
4. ...
5. ...

The rest everyone mentioned. As for me, I did No. 3. Stick your head out of the window to smell some burning rubber. Anyways, this method is not very advisable for AT cars IMHO, coz I think it damages the clutch.

As outright direct and, perhaps to some, as silly as this thread goes, the owner of this thread didn't even specify his car make and model, whether it's stock or modified. If stock, can just search up the manufacturer's website and check the tech specs. If modified, to what extent did he modify it.

Not meaning to mock anybody but half the replies here are senseless. Personally, before I even answer the owner's question, I would ask him/her to clarrify the text in bold. Generally, it would be assumed that he didn't do any major modifications to his/her vehicle. Thus, just get the owner to check the manufacturer's website for tech specs.
Just in case my words did piss anybody off, relax, sit down and ponder about this post of mine. peace y'all.

Just try to wheel spin the car la... if front wheelspins when the quick release of clutch means front wheel.... if back... then u decide la... hehe simple...

satria_95, not all manufacturer website will provide you that piece of imformation. :D
more over, i belive yytellmwy would like to find out the different of FR and FF. cheers

BlackSamurai,
Oh, if he wants to know the difference between front and rear wheel drive, then different story liao. hahahaha But he never mention about wanting to know the difference also ler. kakaka

A thread every 60 seconds

Search

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience
Top Bottom