Fuel Surge Tank ..

CSx8213x

1,000 RPM
Mar 8, 2004
Kuala Lumpur
Anyone can let me know where can I get a Fuel Surge Tank ...
I asked N1 and KSP before ... non of them got this item .....

jeffayn

500 RPM
Mar 27, 2004
Klang
Its not common to get one off the street, but you can always built one your self ....

powercable

Known Member
Nov 27, 2004
How to build a surge tank

Dude, hope this article will help..

How to Build a Surge Tank

To convert some carbureted vehicles to EFI, we recommend fitting a fuel surge tank to avoid fuel feed problems, especially during hard cornering. This is also useful on many stock EFI cars which have poorly baffled tanks. The surge tank stores a small amount of fuel for the high pressure pump to pick up if flow from the main tank is interrupted for any reason.

Usually the tank is mounted in the engine compartment. Fuel is piped to it by either a stock engine driven mechanical pump or a low pressure electric pump. Often the stock electric pump can be used. A high pressure EFI pump will be mounted below the surge tank. The fuel gravity feeds into this pump and goes to the fuel rail. Fuel not used by the engine is returned from the rail, through the fuel pressure regulator, to the top of the surge tank. From here, if the surge tank is full, fuel is returned back to the main fuel tank. The schematic below shows a common setup:

Most tanks will have three fittings on the top, one for feed from the low pressure pump, one for fuel returned through the fuel pressure regulator and one for the return back to the main fuel tank. Usually only one fitting is used on the bottom of the tank for feeding the high pressure pump.

Tanks are usually about .5 to 1 liter in capacity, made from either steel or aluminum tubing. The tubing is usually 2.5 or 3 inch diameter and .050 to .075 wall thickness. A long tank allows any trapped air to rise to the top so it does not enter the high pressure pump. Threaded bosses are welded to the top and bottom caps or sides as in the example below. Usually 1/8 NPT or 1/4 NPT fittings are used but AN type fittings can also be used depending on your plumbing preferences.

This tank has 3 lower fittings for twin pumps plus a drain fitting. Earls NPT weld-in bosses are used. This tank is made from 3 inch, 6061 T6 tubing. Mild steel exhaust tubing also works well. All joints are carefully TIG welded. Test for leaks before installing.

CSx8213x

1,000 RPM
Mar 8, 2004
Kuala Lumpur
I got that info long time ago ... just no ppl do for me ... I also dun have to equipment to do it myself ... think to get a ready make one ...

SKY999

Known Member
Nov 15, 2003
kch
So means must using 2 fuel pumps ?? erm.... costly leh.....

powercable,
frm ur 1st pic, there are 3 hole at top and only 1 at botton for the high pressure fuel pump to engine, but how come the ready made tank got 2 hole at bottom in pic2 and pic3?? wats tht for ?? any1 can explain ??

Last edited:

powercable

Known Member
Nov 27, 2004
from what i heard, 4WD fuel tank has 2 pumps.

the other hole at the bottom? mmm..dunno la. Maybe it`s a drainage or sumthin. Any sifus or otais care to explain??

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

POPULAR MECHANICS, the most famous US automobile magazine which recently celebrated its 100 anniversary, took two years to test Tufoil.

This heading appeared in their Jan 1982 issue:

" A super-slick oil additive that works! " There are lots of slick oils on the market, but we've found one that does what it promises.

" There was an increase of 10.3% ( fuel economy ) - absolutely spectacular "

" Tufoil works. It didn't clog the oil filter, didn't leak out all the gaskets, didn't thin out...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience