Ford Telstar / Mazda 626 Yr 1988 - 1992

sudha

Known Member
Jun 11, 2004
hullo ppl,

i'm a not so newbie in zth and my current car is a Ford Telstar 2.0 12v '92. this car was not on my a list when i was hunting for a car. I sort of bought it by default.

but then again I grew to love and for some reason i find it to be a better car than than most of the 2 litre cars of its class.

So if anyone out there who has got one please share some information - modifications, problems and how you solved them and etc.

cheers,
Sudha

laserman

Known Member
Dec 24, 2003
suddha,

overall this is very relaible car..seldom headache...
option for modification like turbo charge it..transplant engine.....
depends what kind of requirement..

sudha

Known Member
Jun 11, 2004
heheheh....seldom headache, yes you are right. but in the two ++ yrs that i've had this car, i blew up 7 carburetors...running on eight one now.

neways, changing the engine redi - found one nice mazda twin cam auto with 148hp stock stendet. chnaging in december! yeehaw!

what car do you drive? TX3 '92? wanted so badly to get one but all the ones i saw were thrashed to the max.

Khorne

500 RPM
Dec 4, 2003
PJ
Visit site
Yeap,
I used to a 2.0 GHIA about 4 years back...
Also had problems with the carb unit changed it twice but still the same...
Overall a very good and reliable car...
But I regret selling it, was way better than my Wira 1.3 Aeroback...
Plus if I know then what I know now, I would have probably dropped in a 2.0 V6 Mazda Lantis engine...
My first experience with a FORD and I'm still in love with them, currently on my 3rd FORD now... Enjoy...

sudha

Known Member
Jun 11, 2004
k...that it...i was looking hi and low for a v6 engine to fit in this car but never came across anyone who has done..so decided to scrap the plan and stick to one engine that will fit.

u sure the lantis engines fits in perfectly....might consider getting another telstar or 626 in future. I might go for the ford tx5 coz ford does a great job in the ride and handling package compared to the mazda.

Khorne

500 RPM
Dec 4, 2003
PJ
Visit site
Well the V6 from the LANTIS will fit, I mean if they can fit it into a TX3 then a TELSTAR is no problem...
From last I heard the Lantis V6 are more easily available compared to 3 to 4 years back...

Anyways good luck with your project...

sudha

Known Member
Jun 11, 2004
Aiyoooo!!!...what a waste!...

the lantis engine are from the KF family rite? Shit I was really eying that KF-ZE!

I'm gonna throw away the auto and put in manual after two years - turbo the car n boost it to 260 horses....yum yum!

sixtythree

Known Member
Nov 18, 2003
may i know how much for the 2.0 dohc? issit halfcut or engine itself?

laserman

Known Member
Dec 24, 2003
sudha,

yes i drove a TX3.. is a good car... lantis V6 come wiht manual transmission...ur FE half cut (if not mistaken) there is turbo version..but is hard to find in here (probably not even have 1) ..ur engine is look alike the sportage engine..

probably V6 is a good choice too...

Khorne

500 RPM
Dec 4, 2003
PJ
Visit site
yeah it's from the FE series...

But basically any Mazda Ford engines can be interchanged between cars...

Would be cheaper and better if you just put in a BPT engine cheaper and faster...

CHEERS

sudha

Known Member
Jun 11, 2004
sixtythree:
the halfcut costs abt rm 2800k. Installtaion will come up to abt RM1500. good thing abt the FE3/FE Dohc is that it fits right in as all the mountings are in the right place.

laserman:
the FE turbo was made in limited numbers and I mean very limited and it was used in rallies. The turbo version never made it into production cars. Mazda sis make 2.2 turbo versions of the FE2 engines which available in the TX5, MX6 and 626 GTs of my car's generation but only in selected markets most commonly available in Australia.

Khorne:
BPT is a good choice but I understand that there will be a JPJ issue because I am d/geading from a 2.0 to a 1.8 engine. Anyway, if my engine swap goes well, I might get a 626 hatchback and drop in a 2.0 V6 or a FE Dohc manual.

Khorne

500 RPM
Dec 4, 2003
PJ
Visit site
sudha,

Well so far, I've never heard of problems converting to a lower CC and usually these JPJ boys will pass it with ease, there are many cases where old Honda's drop in B16A's into their Accords and preludes...

But the 2.0 DOHC engine is good enough for a good run...
Wish you all the best and hope that you'll update us on your conversion...

CHEERS :)

sudha

Known Member
Jun 11, 2004
k...come december 18....car goes in..comes out on dec 24....will update the outcome of the project with pictures.

BTW...for those interested especially with the telstar or 626 of the same generation as mine, there is an AWD FE DOHC Manual version at Mun Lee in puchong. NA stock standard 170hp on 10.0.1 compression. check it out b4 its too late!

sudha

Known Member
Jun 11, 2004
Originally posted by Lan Dugong@Nov 22 2004, 13:19
waa.....good....good....good.....another telstar/626 enthusiast....welcome to the club sudha..... :D
good luck on the conversion.
hey lan!

I know u. U have a B8 in your telstar rite? i hav surfed your website before and that's where I was introduced to the heavy mods that can be done on a telstar. thats where i found the link to the FE3 Dohc.

A big Thank You for putting up the information! btw, what happened to your site? cant find it on the web. is there a new link? want to see the new pics of your car just to get some ideas. eheheheheh!

are you still meeting up with the killer bees in kesas h/way reast area? maybe we could do some TT session eh?

regards,
sudha

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Hi,

I drive a civic fd2. i wanna get the mugen rr bodykit..but i notice all the civic with mugen rr bodykit has two exhaust, one on the left and one on the right, unlike a standard civic with both on the right..

my question is do i have to change my exhaust for the bodykit???

and i actually plan to get maybe j racing exhaust or toda, these exhaust only one on the right..so how will the body kit fit??

Thanks for all ur help..:adore:
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience