Forced Induction or Not??

hotfootpowder

Jun 28, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
Hello guys,

I'm new here. In fact this is my first post. I'd like to ask quite a basic question.

I have a Toyota 86 auto. Currently I have some extra cast and thinking of modding the car a bit just to add a bit horsepower. It's a daily driver, and I don't think i'll be tracking the car that much, maybe once or twice a year the most.

So my options are:

1) Install Supercharger (Sprintex Intercooler with ECUTEK tuning)
2) Upgrade intake, header, exhaust and tuning using ECUTEK. If got extra cash can upgrade to aftermarket rims also.

Problem is I've also heard some horror stories of engine blowing up due to aftermarket supercharging or turbo. I'm also quite a noob in car mods. So what I need to know is reliability in supercharge cars in Malaysia, some more our hot climate. Any sure way of supercharging the car without risking blowing up the engine?

Thanks in advance guys.

vr2turbo

((( God Level 30,000 RPM )))
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Basically is how much boost is tuned when adding the SC or TC. If just BOT on NA specs, the parts cannot take too high a boost. As far as I know most do 0.4 bar only, but many want more power so they tend to put too much boost and in the end....blown engine.

gunnerzz

2,000 RPM
Jul 3, 2014
Melaka
Sprintex supercharger is safe provided u use the setting they gave and not to overboost it like vr2 said.

i would go for supercharge against header,exhaust, intake.
why?
Sprintex kit is bolt on and easy.another plus point is that u can tune it (or rather ask the tuner)to your preference whether low end or top end.not to mention the addictive whine the sc produces.

once u supercharge,dont spend on rims but upgrade your air filter and exhaust.

your car can still be driven daily and reliability wont be affected by much as u wont be boosting like mad.drifting is a bit more easier with the extra ommph.

gunnerzz

2,000 RPM
Jul 3, 2014
Melaka
Most of the case there is due to overboosting the stock internal engine.no surprise there.some are due to tuning.some country like the US have this crazy chase for hp.

just keep the boost in a safe zone and you will be fine.i know someone will say low boost is equal to no boost at all.just ignore them,its your car and u will maintain it.

or,u can upgrade your exhaust and filter first while u search for more detail abt supercharging your ride? No harm doing so as the sc installation wont affect any of the part.

i dont think money is an issue to u as sprintex sc kit is kinda costly and u dont seem to mentiin anything abt budget.

vr2turbo

Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
About to say the same like what bro. gunnerzz mentioned above. Mostly due to over boost, as we also mentioned earlier. Running lean is due to tuning so need to be done carefully.

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
Got the money do the whole thing right the first time. Internals and then supercharger and go to a reputable tuner to setup the ECU so you don't blow up.

There's no foolproof way of doing this but if you do it right, the chances to failing is significantly reduced.

vr2turbo

Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Yup, all about doing it right. As mentioned a lot after getting used to the power tweak more boost and that is when things happens.....hhahhahahha

marv3

Known Member
Jun 5, 2014
Kuala Lumpur
Wahhhhhhh.....SC on an 86.....Sweeeeeetttttt......Love the "wheeeeeeezzzzzzzzzzz"-ing sound.... :biggrin::biggrin:

But i agree with the sifu's. Do it right the first time. Go to reputable tuner. And dont cut cost like some ppl i see. "So expensive ah. Got cheaper. Cheap cheap cheap". Then install some potato lemon parts. Then problem. Then the cost to solve the problems is more than original price.....

One question. Is changing the internals necessary? I mean if you dont overboost. I think the internals are quite strong right? Just curious to know....

ken yeang

6,000 RPM
Feb 2, 2006
Force induction is additive.
Force induction is never enough.

however

Force induction cost money
Petrol isn't always cheap
Force induction is useless if driver/car cannot handle it.

Do weight the pro and cons....

6UE5t

6,000 RPM
Oct 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
One thing with bolt-on kits, make sure you got the proper engine management that would not re-learn back to your stock settings. Coz if you use piggyback, many factory ECU nowadays can overwrite your modified tuning/mapping back to factory maps after some time. If someday it adjusts back to factory maps, then you'll start to have problems.

Dollar for dollar though, forced induction will give the more power if done properly.

vr2turbo

Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya

however

Yes, is addictive, lucky for me, pocket not large enough, so after transplant that power is enough......hhahahhahahaha:rofl:

Last edited:

6UE5t

6,000 RPM
Oct 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur

however

Yes, is additive, lucky for me, pocket not large enough, so after transplant that power is enough......hhahahhahahaha:rofl:
Addictive to be exact. :)

You also need to fully convert to AWD if want to have more power.

The Marketplace Top Posts

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

heyd top of my car boot is rustin away.currently got 3 patches..so how do i stop it frm rustin more?
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience