Experienced Tuner in KK/Brunei/Miri

reintel

500 RPM
Jul 27, 2004
ashabmy,

SAFC2 now price are getting lower as apexi NEO already came out wif more selection. kk price slight expensive. KL more option.

nova

Known Member
Apr 28, 2005
Hi Reintel,
I don't doubt the capability of the tuners in Sabah when tuning for power for drag races and they are respectable in this respect. However, when it comes to all round tuning, it is a different story. It is always a good thing to share and raise the awareness of our forum members on the pros and cons of aftermarket tuning and in the wrong hands, it can be costly and frustrating to the end users . The decision making task rests with the end users.

Maybe the increasing popularity of piggybacks like SAFC,E-manage, etc also indicates the bad experience from using aftermarket standalone ecu (either limited ecu capability or tuner factor). Piggyback still retains the factory mappings and settings and therefore the comfy factors. This is more suited to people like ashabmy who wants to retain quality of rides and driving but also want to have some mods done to his car which require some recalibration.

Wibeband AF meter is a good start but not the only tool used by pro tuners. I know wideband AF meter is nowadays so cheap that even the not so knowledgeable but well-to-do also install one in their cars for the 'cool' factor, something as common as a boost-meter. I am not talking about those narrow band oxygen sensor readers either. A good wideband in the wrong hand can also lead to disaster.

Dyno is just a part of tuning. But for some very experienced tuners, they can even do a proper job on the dyno without getting on the roads. Good thing with the right dyno is that it allows you to run through more different load conditions than you can encounter on the roads near your workshop. In addition, it is probably safer. :regular_smile:

reintel

500 RPM
Jul 27, 2004
Nova,

firstly u have to understand of the use of piggyback and standalone fuel management system. The reason for piggyback invented is for the car to retain some of its original function such as airbag, traction control and other stuff. A standalone fuel management system also are highly overrated and it was meant for user to fully adjust its engine capability 100% or even more. the pro tuner mention here has done using standalone ecu to be use for daily driven car. i myself have few frens currently using it and goes to work to and fro. unless u intend for serious competition, i suppose this would be a good option.

Ah tet himself promote emanage ( piggyback mention by u) and few of his customer using it. so it he one of the so called 'all-rounder tuner' or the pro tuner as u describe them? using piggyback was NOT the reason or indication of bad experience using standalone. it is merely a reason to keep originality of the more ever popular expensive cars. Even ah tet after such time promotes e-manage, he see's some limitation thus goes back to standalone ecu. the 2nd reason would be due to price factor whereby piggyback still much cheaper than a standalone.

hmm.... how cum this discussion from 'asking tuners in sabah' bcums 'piggyback against standalone ecu' topics? hehehhee.................

phoenixpower

Aug 12, 2004
ashabmy said:
Wow... didn't expect this thread will be this "hot". BTW, thanks all for the input.

For info, me & my friend just would like to have a bit of power & satisfaction for modification. Not intended for racing purposes. If for racing, I would buy the an old japanesse car & modify kaw-kaw. Dont think I will risk my Focus for racing:_: So far our mods (Focus & Lynx RS):
1) CAI intake
2) Hotbit full exhaust system
3) e-manage (soon) + dyno test
Next plan will be light turbo or supercharge.

I've searching for SAFCII & other mods stuffs in KK. Went to Empire (Bukit Padang), G-Power (P'pang) & other shops, most of them recommended JC for the tuning. Good thing about JC is they have a Dyno & so called "experienced". Some other friends also told me incident of mechanic blown the engine during tuning, but they cant confirm the mechanic/shop name.

Will definitely visit those guys & find out more. Dont mind to pay extra but the quality & confidence.

cheers

Looking at the application chart below(attached), some of the engine's listed may share the same setup(trigger system,etc) with your Ford Focus but..are you willing to take the risk if you fry your ECU? It would make a huge hole in your pocket you know.. Furthermore, what sort of gains are you expecting? With those mods you mentioned, don't expect a 50lbs/ft torque or 50hp increase..

There may be some increase somewhere in the torque/horsepower when you're on the dyno but I can tell you that the gains a pretty minimal with your butt dyno with the sort of bolt on stuff you have ..the real deal starts when you go deep technical. That's where it separates the boys from the man.:regular_smile:

To prove me wrong, you'd have to have the sh*ttiest intake and exhaust system from factory and then only that would be a different story all together.

Last edited:

Daihatsu Mira

Known Member
Jan 23, 2005
Sabah
Visit site
reintel said:
Nova,

firstly u have to understand of the use of piggyback and standalone fuel management system. The reason for piggyback invented is for the car to retain some of its original function such as airbag, traction control and other stuff. A standalone fuel management system also are highly overrated and it was meant for user to fully adjust its engine capability 100% or even more. the pro tuner mention here has done using standalone ecu to be use for daily driven car. i myself have few frens currently using it and goes to work to and fro. unless u intend for serious competition, i suppose this would be a good option.

Ah tet himself promote emanage ( piggyback mention by u) and few of his customer using it. so it he one of the so called 'all-rounder tuner' or the pro tuner as u describe them? using piggyback was NOT the reason or indication of bad experience using standalone. it is merely a reason to keep originality of the more ever popular expensive cars. Even ah tet after such time promotes e-manage, he see's some limitation thus goes back to standalone ecu. the 2nd reason would be due to price factor whereby piggyback still much cheaper than a standalone.

hmm.... how cum this discussion from 'asking tuners in sabah' bcums 'piggyback against standalone ecu' topics? hehehhee.................
hmmm,i think we are off topic there...
come on back to topic here...
we are not here to argue lah...
ashabmy...hope u get the right tuner,good luck to u dude...
share ur result here after u upgrade...
cheers

orc3368

Known Member
Dec 1, 2005
wow from opinion to arguments. . good laaa share ur all punya knowledge here

cyborgsabah

Nov 18, 2003
Afghanistan
Visit site
nova, i think most well known and reputable tuners in KK know how to tune standalone ecu for everyday driving... its no fair to say that all tuner in sabah only know how to tune full blown drag cars.. i've seen so many car with standalone ecu driven day in and day out without much problem...

cheamys

Mar 27, 2005
malaysia
:mouth_closed: Nova is correct.There is no way for any single man/tuner give excellent performance from any standalone ECus if compare to stock ECUs; espicially to tune the engine for dairy driving.

:mouth_closed: Any 1- man show tuner will always find that it is too sensitive to alter the low engine load or low airflow operating A/F requirements from his programmable Ecu. and he often find it is very easy not to cause much engine miss fire even he lean out the air-fuel mix 2 20% less or enriched 20% more fueling at higher engine speed operation. This is also the reason why most so-called good Ecus tuners claims their tuning are good for drag or racing purposes.

:mouth_closed: Just try to find out by yourself that most non-stock ECU programmers everytime have a deep feeling of something like : A donkey catch its own tail - this seen like a never ending job in his standalone Ecu tuning & testing. but anyway he still have to deliver the customer's car.

zamiex

Known Member
Nov 1, 2005
well i know someone if wanna remap ecu evo123/honda obd1/tune safc and emanage (otr tune with wideband) in miri.
other than that not sure he can do

Veloc

3,000 RPM
May 19, 2010
Sabah
Ah Tet, Hamid and Melvin are the famous names is KK. I haven't tuned mine before, but I usually go to Melvin for some other works such as fixing my ECU. He is good in electronics. Melvin is more into emanage and adaptronic.

My friends (including Pangyau above :biggrin:) have high regards for Hamid. I can say that Hamid did a damn fine job on his car. Smooth and strong powerband. His Evo 8 MR is not one that you want to mess with. If you see it on the road, don't try anything :biggrin:. But Hamid only does standalone.

All tuners have their fair share of success and blown engine stories. Hehehe.... But of course that is the learning curve. Which tuner never blown an engine before? If there is one, yours could be the first.

By the way, does ah tet still "layan" tuning? I thought he already fully gone into service and repair high end cars.

Last edited:

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Today I was having dinner with some my my relatives.

Then one of my relative told me her handphone was robbed along with the purse a few weeks ago.

She called to the handphone and request the theive to please return here IC, Driving license and SIM card (she saved alot of her customer no. in it)

The audacity is, the theive answered the call and threatened he will rape her if she ever called him again.

She was so upset, her boyfriend heard about this and engaged the service of a...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience